• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what grade aluminum???

bob85 said:
does anybody know what grade aluminum the avanti sigma4 uses :?:
More than likely its a mixture of .049 and .058,6063t-5 maybe t-8 aluminum.It may be 6061 t-6 seamless,I can't find any aluminum specs on that antenna,Above are the standard wall thickness types used on most all the better antennas ;)

Hello Bob 85:

It is posssible that Avanti did use 6061 T6. I know for a fact it is .058 inches wall thickness. Which allows the next smallest diameter in 1/8 inch increments to be telescope into each together.

Now here is a little unknow fact in the antenna business. Telescoping Alunimun Tubing is what antenna manufactures use mostly to make there antenans with. BUT!...........

The Aluminum Tubing Manufactures (The Mills) do not care about us antenna manufactures or aluminum tubing "Telescoping into each other" in order to make a antenna. So when aluminum tubing is ordered in mass production quantities or tons of aluminum tubing the customer must specify that the tubing will telescope or will be returned. So that is why the wall thickness's of .050, 049, .041 ect so that the tubing will telescope into each other, with out a big problem. Meaning the tubing is slightly weaker.

The Extruded 6061 T6 Aluminum Tubing has a wall thickness tolarance of +or- .008 inches.

The Cold Drawn 6063 T8 Aluminum Tubing has a wall thickness tolarance of +or- .004 inches.

So now do the math in wall thickness tolarance with .004 and .008 inches, you will see what 6063 T8 was used the most.

The Aluminum Mills will not gauntee that 6061 T6 will telescope into each other in 1/8 inch increments, at .058 inches wall thickness, as the wall thickness tolarance is to hard to keep. Also you will see Extruded Aluminum Tubing not being round but in a slight oval shape. There is also a spec for that.

That is why antenna manufactures do not always use 6061 T6.

The Avanti Sigma 4 can be internally reinforced to allow a stronger vertical assembly, if it is internally reinforced. But as the vertical elemment is internally reinforced the stress points move putting more stress on other places on the vertical elemment. And with the Physco wind you have in the UK you will need to rebuild or reinforce a bunch of the bottom tubing sizes on the Avanti Sigma 4 Antenna.

This is why my Interceptor 10K is internally reinforced, and can take the 100 MPH winds of thge Mojave Desert.

If you have a forgine made copy of the Sigma 4, I suggest you toss it in the scrape can.

Let me know what is the problem is with your existing Sigma 4 antenna.

Jay in the Mojave

http://www.a1antennas.com

hello jay the i 10k is working great, the problem with the old sigma is its currently a hybrid of sirio and avanti parts, i want to replace the cheaper parts with the same material as the original sigma4.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.