• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What makes a _true_ 5/8 wave base antenna?

S

StormWatcher365

I posted this in the wrong (CB Radio) group, so I'll try again... :)I've been looking at 18ft. 1/2 wave, and 24ft. 5/8 wave base antennas... I've noticed some so-called 5/8 waves are adjustable to between [roughly] 16ft. to 22ft. How could this be 5/8 wave, does frequency become the determining factor?......... thanks, StormWatcher

</p>

Hello Stom Watcher 365:

Yes I have seen this to, where some antennas are called a 5/8 wavelength antenna, are shorter or longer.

I agree with Doc there, approx 22 1/2 feet for a real true 5/8 wavelength antenna.

But looking at Eznec 3.0 a program for modeling antennas and such, shows very little change with the antennas performance over quit a range of lengths.

Some manufactures will use a .64 wavelength antenna, and I believe this is done to allow a simpler matching circuit to be used, without any real addational gain to the antenna.

And the shorter antennas that are advertised as a 5/8 wavelength antennas, and are closer to a half wave length, have the vertical element mounted in the base assembly, that has capacatance, that plays a part in the antenna matching circuit.

The 5/8 wavelength ground plane antenna should be .625 of a wavelength to be a 5/8 wavelength antenna, in my book. But as the matching scemes changes the lengths will also. Not a real biggie there.

Jay in the Mojave

www.a1antennas.com

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.