• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's wrong when........

KB1TPX

W1MBZ
Jul 22, 2008
Warwick, RI 02818
I connect the PL259 from my G5RV antenna to the radio and it receives well with only the pin connected, but as soon as I screw on the shield the reception decreases? Is there a short somewhere in the lead or the ladder line, or is the balun bad, or what? Any thoughts?:confused:

Last edited:

That is perfectly normal. What is happening is that until you attach the shield connector ,which is grounded, the entire length of coax cable is acting like a looooong wire antenna. As soon as the shield is connected it shields the inner part of the coax and prevents it from picking up any signals. Again, perfectly normal and all antennas will do the same thing.

Nothings wrong as long as your SWR is fine. With the outer shield connector off, it's adding the length of coax as antenna instead of cancelling out the coax. So if your G5RV piece of junk is 100' long and your coax is 50' long....then it is receiving as a 150' long piece of wire. Generally speaking and for receive especially....the longer the wire is the better receive you will have as you are increasing your receive "capture area."

Do not attempt to transmit this way

And you will, again generally, see this happen with any antenna but especially longish wire antennas on HF frequencies.

More noise in the RX does not necessarily mean more signal on the bands for which the antenna is designed. I'd say nothing is wrong with the antenna.

Calling the G5RV 'junk' isn't really fair. They are a compromise antenna, but they do work, and they get you on several bands with just one antenna. I have a W5GI antenna which is similar to the G5RV, and it does really well. I can talk all over the world with 100 watts, on every band 80, 60, 40, 20, 17, 15, and 10. I'm sure it works fine on 12, too, I just haven't caught a good opening there yet. I've used it on 6 too, but don't really know how well it will do there.

Nothings wrong as long as your SWR is fine. With the outer shield connector off, it's adding the length of coax as antenna instead of cancelling out the coax. So if your G5RV piece of junk is 100' long and your coax is 50' long....then it is receiving as a 150' long piece of wire. Generally speaking and for receive especially....the longer the wire is the better receive you will have as you are increasing your receive "capture area."

Do not attempt to transmit this way

And you will, again generally, see this happen with any antenna but especially longish wire antennas on HF frequencies.

Boy, you don't pull any punches, do ya?

Thanks or the info anyway.

cool , something different .

how does that center conductor recieve a signal when its surrounded by the shield/braid on the outside ?
is this something that can only happen to closed circuit antennas since the shield does connect with the center in the tuning circuit so the outside/shield is in the loop ??

hope you amateurs dont mind a professional chicken bander asking a few questions , hehehe ;)

how does that center conductor recieve a signal when its surrounded by the shield/braid on the outside ...

gee, lets see, we have two conductors separated by an insulator..... i think we invented one of them thar 'tronic thingys :love:

cool , something different .

how does that center conductor recieve a signal when its surrounded by the shield/braid on the outside ?
is this something that can only happen to closed circuit antennas since the shield does connect with the center in the tuning circuit so the outside/shield is in the loop ??

hope you amateurs dont mind a professional chicken bander asking a few questions , hehehe ;)

That's the thing, the center is not surrounded by a shield until that shield is grounded. Unless the shield is grounded it is basically transparent to RF.

i thought metals always reflected RF grounded or not . thanks capin kilo ;)

gettin my learn on today ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.