• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which is best Mobile for my Yaesu Amp???

oil2gas

Apr 5, 2010
:confused:I only come here when i have problems or trying to buy something and the most inportant is finding infromation on diff topics.. and from diff folks than my cb shop Thanks for sharing all your expertise Well here is my problem:
I puchased a Yaesu Fl 110 amp and it has a MAX of 10/15 input and output will be 100 to 150 watts. Just bought a used galxy 66 to drive it and it sucks...will take it back and get my money(150) I hope.
MY QUESTION is which galaxy will best suite my amp or which other mobile radio with a minimum of 10/15 watts output .
The shop that sold me the used G66 saids he can get me a new Galaxy 33 for 289? It seem a bit high and has no frequeny read0ut? I am usally a AMer and do go to the other channels and SSb is my last proirty . Please give your opinions on which galaxy or other GOOD CLEAN radio will best fit my HAM amplifier .Guys , lets try and keep it under 300 dollars ...The amp cost me a cool 250 but it is supposed to be a older techniolgy but it has a good clean output . but it looks like i bought the wagon and now am looking for a horse to pull this super wagon
Is This County Great or What
OIL2GAS

:confused:I only come here when i have problems .....The amp cost me a cool 250 but it is supposed to be a older techniolgy but it has a good clean output..
OIL2GAS

$250....... :cry: all i can say is this IS an old amp, it is PRE-warc (if that means anything to you) it is one of the few amateur hf amps that were rf sensed and legal.

don't drive it with more than 10 watts .

i would convert it to relay activated due to the LONG DELAY when RF keying is used, i'm SURE that you will blow the PA due to operating it into an infinite VSWR each time it is rf keyed due to the slow relay

bottom line: i would try to get (most,.... some?) of my $250 back before i even consideded buying another radio.

good luck

I have seen others make remarks about the slow relay and something with the relay and this unit has has a slow and fast relay switch?
I noticed that on the hookup drawings it shows that it can be keyed manually or automatically. This is where you say i should use a accessory relay from a transceiver instead of RF ? I would need something other than the galaxy? Guess
I will put it on fleabay and have noticed that they have been selling for about 200 plus for the few fl 110 boat anchors that come accross ebay
I also got a matching pair of SRF 1427 tansistors with neg feedback new that came with this solid state linera amplifier . these should be worth a few bucks
Will continue to listen for others opinions and thaniks for taking time out to help another newbie with big ideas but low budget wallet
I will proabley sell it and get me a yaesu ft 840 sinceI use a yaesu ft 747 for my base station....I will make the FT 840 my base and put the FT 747 in the tocoma truck and quit messing with these amplifiers especially if your not a radio tech or so it seems to require to do it proper or able to decipher the sales pitches form these local shops............
I s This Country Great or What

If all you want to do is talk 11m on AM that would not have been my choice in amplifiers at all. A Galaxy 66 with a proper tune should work exellent. Something like this would have been much better.
Midnight Special, Xforceamps

That MidNight Special 250 is half the price of yours and it can take whatever a tuned Galaxy 66 can dish out.

At this point if you must run that amp you will need a cb set thats de-tuned for no more then 10-15 watts PEP. Any cb radio will work as long as it's properly tuned to match your amp.

Sounds to me like you need to find a new cb shop to do business with.

Yur correct also in that i was trying to go old school more like a conversation piece..but something good clear and loud. Today i did call the shop and will take his 66 back due it being very bad output and it has a three month warranty . My second option is for him to check it and its supposd to have a variable output from 0 to 8 watts ...which is not enougt to drfvie the yaesu. I could also just use my base ft 747 which is a mobile and it has a good clean 100 watt output...Will find out when i go see him and again thanks for your input into a strangers problems
Is this Country Great or
What

Yes Sir I did find a new CB shop....Its Morgans Electronic out of HOuston in a little town on hiway 59 . I send via ups and he did the following to my Galaxy DX 66 V:
1. Alingned the radio
2. Ajusted the VCO voltage
3. Set the minimum @ 4 watts with 30 watt swing
4. Set the maximun @ 10 watts with 30 watt swing
The radio sound good andloud and get somne good feedback and now my other problem is :
Now he is working on the Yaesu FL 110 SINCE it did not work after i purchased it via Flea Bay. If need be he will change the finals if required
Hopefully once he repairs the amp it will all work togther

Your cb shop is ripping you off they said $289 for a galaxy 33. They can be purchased at ramko for about $130. on the net for about $170.

The FL110 is a great amp, Esp for rigs designed to run into higher SWR QRP antennas like the Ft 817. But, for 11 meter, there are def. better options.

Quote"
3. Set the minimum @ 4 watts with 30 watt swing
4. Set the maximun @ 10 watts with 30 watt swing
The radio sound good andloud and get somne good feedback and now my other problem is :
Quote"

Same output at high AND low settings????
Then what's the point of adjustable power?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio