• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Why don't they?????????

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
Why can't the Radio companys put a 1/4 head phone jack for headphones or aux out to the jack on the dash of your car stero so you can listen to the CB on the car radio speakers or plug in headphones so you can listen privately. Yes this is my most needed feature. :D

Both my Uniden 980 and the RCI-2985dx have jacks for headphones. You can also use the external speaker jack for phones. Better not get caught driving with headphones on though. :)

I have an aftermarket car stereo with two auxiliary stereo inputs. I use one with an extension cable and male stereo end to hookup to my iPhone or my XM Roadie sat receiver. I suppose something like you asked could be done. Personally I don't want to hear CB on my receiver.

Blaupunkt Bremen MP76

Last edited:
Ditto on the using the ext. spkr jack with a double ended make cord to plug into the AUX jack of your car stereo. it does work well.

A better question would be "how comes CB companies don't make the face detachable so when you install a CB in a small car, you can put the main body under the seat but put the face on the dash?" Heck that's how they make newer style ham radios these days.

Most cars today are coming with an AUX jack on the dash to feed an external audio source to the stereo like an MP3 player or Ipod etc. My 2012 Tundra's stereo has AM/FM radio, Sirius XM satellite radio, CD player with MP3 and WMA capabilities, a 1/8 inch stereo jack for aux audio, a USB jack for music on a memory stick etc and even Bluetooth wireless hookup for playing audio from a Bluetooth equipped device. I can play music from my Smartphone without physically connecting it to the stereo.What more would I ever need?

AS for providing a 1/4 inch headphone jack, lots do that now but only for rear passengers. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while wearing headphones.

not here. no such law in Michigan.

True!

Michigan, however, does have a careless driving statute.

I am willing to bet good money if you read ALL the regulations regarding operation of a motor vehicle there is something regarding the impairment of the ability of the driver to hear approaching emergency vehicles etc. You may be able to wear headphones but only ONE ear may be covered. It is a standard safety issue in all provinces here and I know a great deal of the states are the same.

OK Found this:

Driving with Headphones: There is nothing in the Michigan Vehicle Code that specifically prohibits driving with headphones or earbuds. A driver could, however, be cited for careless, reckless, or failure to yield to an emergency vehicle if a police officer could show that the headphones interfered with the driver’s ability to safely operate the vehicle. Some other states do have prohibitions against headphone use.

Found at http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/Archived_Field_Updates_Table_203934_7.pdf

I take that back about betting good money. And to think you guys have arcane scanner laws yet allow headphones to be worn while driving. :blink:

Most cars today are coming with an AUX jack on the dash to feed an external audio source to the stereo like an MP3 player or Ipod etc. My 2012 Tundra's stereo has AM/FM radio, Sirius XM satellite radio, CD player with MP3 and WMA capabilities, a 1/8 inch stereo jack for aux audio, a USB jack for music on a memory stick etc and even Bluetooth wireless hookup for playing audio from a Bluetooth equipped device. I can play music from my Smartphone without physically connecting it to the stereo.What more would I ever need?

AS for providing a 1/4 inch headphone jack, lots do that now but only for rear passengers. It is illegal to operate a motor vehicle while wearing headphones.

I had found something Grogon could use.
My ride is 9 years old and is a base model. No power heated mirrors,door locks,no jacks for OEM stereo,blue tooth,ABS.
My aftermarket stereo system however has to aux input Jacks,mini SD slot.
I do have A/C,XM satellite,Koni struts and shocks. :D

I use in the ear headphones, and only listen to one of them. Jack on my rig is mono anyway, so only one ear plays. I do this to avoid bothering my wife and kids while we're on trips. Allows me to listen to the CB, and they can listen to whatever they want. I *have* played my system through the aftermarket stereo I installed via a 1/8 to 1/8 cable, and it's just not my thing.

Oddly enough, I have seen firefighters wearing full headphones while driving the ladder trucks. I think they do this to communicate with the back driver, but still.... headphones over both ears.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.