• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wi Fi and SWL/Ham radios

Nightshade

Sep 16, 2009
Does computer WI FI affect the SWL/HAM radio frequency's?

I ask because we have a fairly powerful wi fi in our home to service the multiple computers we need for my wife's home based business.

Is this something that can, or will, affect the signals for the radios used for SWL/HAM uses? :confused:

It will depend upon your specific hardware in use, Some radios/receivers are more susceptible to interference. My home network is about your average, and interference varies from radio to radio. Some of my radios are relatively severe, and annoying, some are nearly interference free. Proximity, and the WiFi device will also make a difference as well, I have a cheapie generic device, and compared to the Belkin I have is extremely noisy.

I've not bothered with trying to minimize the issues, but imagine with some work it can be managed.

I have not had any issues with my or my neighbors WiFi networks
and i have mine set up for long range..
I use a linksys

WiFi frequencies are WELL separated from the FM broadcast band: 2.4 GHz as compared with 88-108 MHz.

If you find that WiFi interferes with your FM radio, I'd strongly suggest getting a better radio.

WiFi frequencies are WELL separated from the FM broadcast band: 2.4 GHz as compared with 88-108 MHz.

If you find that WiFi interferes with your FM radio, I'd strongly suggest getting a better radio.

Beetle, ok, but what about the other bands that are not FM? :unsure:

The WiFi signal itself wont effect 3-30MHz range because wifi is at 2.4GHz.

But what can interfere with HF radio is the microprocessor in the wifi access point, or some cheap wall-wart with noisy switching power supply. The CPU and related chips are not shielded, the access point case is plastic. This would be the same kind of interference you could get from any computer.

It may not be a direct component of the RF signal but the little suckers radiate interference NONE-THE-LESS.... Bottom line is as I originally said... No one specified the actual source of the interference but the crap DOES do it.... And it all depends upon many factors, Proximity being the most predominant.

My comments are based upon experience.

It may not be a direct component of the RF signal but the little suckers radiate interference NONE-THE-LESS.... Bottom line is as I originally said... No one specified the actual source of the interference but the crap DOES do it.... And it all depends upon many factors, Proximity being the most predominant.

My comments are based upon experience.

What does one look for to tell if your home WIFI is messing with your radio signals?

What does one look for to tell if your home WIFI is messing with your radio signals?

My case is pretty obvious, an indication of a signal, can be confirmed by simply shutting down the device in question. And various unidentifiable tones.

Basically, my crappy little china made devices can produce up to an S9 signal on various radios within my house, and can vary tone and frequency with the data transfer rate. From my experience most of it seems to be limited to a relatively short range, at least somewhat less than the actual devices range.

Cell phones are another culprit, and yes I already know what frequency they operate on, they have a rather unique rhythmic tone which I've heard through computers, Televisions, radios, etc...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.