• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will FT 747 work with which non oem amp?

oil2gas

Apr 5, 2010
I use a Yaesur FT 747 GX with the FP 757 HD power supply. My question is BACK when i used the FL 2100 with this set up it had a special cable that connected them together...BUT now i am planning on buying a non yaesu amp(solid state) to use as base amp but do I just hook the amp and radio like a normal radio with amplifier? You know radio output to input of amp and amp output to antenna??????Please tell me if I am assuming the hookup correctly.
Is this Country Great or What

OIL2GAS in south texas home of the spurs

Yaesu sold a buffer relay that will pretty much work with any amp. It is the FRB-757. I bought one used on qth.com and use it for my FT-757GX and Ameritron 811h . Here is how it is connected. It has 3 cables with RCA connectors. 1 goes to the 13.8v connection on the back of the radio. . 2nd goes to the PTT connection on the back of the radio. The 3rd goes to the relay connection on the amp.

http://www.foxtango.org/ft-library/FT-Library/Eighties/FRB-757_Relay.pdf

FT 747 gx

Thanks for such a quick reply and will start lookking for the buffer that should work on any non oem amp. Again thanks and have a good one

NO I haved owned this rig for 12 years and I have never seen it drift but i'm using it for a base staation. guess i can it drifting if your driving becasue its very touchy on the vfo??? are you in the land of the midnite sun and home of the pipeline?

I am in the land of the midnight sun, I am using mine for a base as well , but I got mine for 40.00 off craigslist so who knows where it has been ... I have ran a texas star behind mine for 10 and 11 meters but this radio will be replace this summer with something a lot newer ...

Man what a small world, the family and I were transferred there with Arco oil and Gas back in 1975 and left in 1984 and sped a lot of time in wein airline jet ever week ...I lived out on oceanview i think had a A frame and we loved it but got transferred to Saudi Arabia in 84 and finally retired in 2002 and fianlly got back to the lower 48 for good. I belonged to a SOB club in Anchorge while i was there and used a SBE Console ll and then upgraded to a yaesu FT 101EE, what a rdio . glad to herar from you and yes i love this 747 simple and easy to use but the vfo is very touchy
Twe had a ermgency radio at Prudhoe and it was a ft 101 x and used a 1200 watt linear man we could get out evryone ..to anchorge was a everyday thing from the slope ....
SOB one triple zeero from land of the midnite sun ad home of the pipeline

back then I was running channel 2 with a cobra 2000GTL and there was only a few SBE's on the air that I can remember....
sorry don't mean to hijack the thread...

747 Drifting

I have had my 747 GX since 91.....My Dad gave it to me when he won it at a electronics/ham show.....Mine drifts about a max of 400Hz up the dial when it is warmed up...I don't seem to notice it on PSK 20 meters but I do on 80 Meters. This is the only issue with it that I know of.

John KE4HGR

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.