• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will this mount work?

Senomar_dtk

Sep 2, 2011
First post and first question.
I got a pick up with a fiberglass bed cap and I want to take my antenna off my bumper and mount it into the side of the bed topper. Will taking a piece of sheet metal and bolting it on as well as the antenna base and take a ground strap to the truck chassis work for a good ground or will it not be as good?

I have a a 4ft skip shooter now and want to go with a wilson 3ft fiberglass antenna because I do not want a mag mount or anything that will stick to far up above the truck.

Thanks and hope you all can help me out.:confused:

Welcome to the Forum!

Tell you what, if you can make what you propose work for you and are happy with minimal performance, then go with it.

Personally, I think a 3 ft antenna is a waste of time - except for those used on the 2m Ham band. Just remember, that any antenna below the highest point of the vehicles sheet metal is compromised. Better off on top of the cab; I would NOT mount it on the shell.

Also too, that any radio station is only as competent as its antenna.

I might give it a try, I'm just putting some thoughts together since my set up now on the bumper works alright I just thought if I brought the antenna closer to the middle of the truck and raised it up a little more it would do me some better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.