• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Will this work

jlawson435

Dec 21, 2009
I have a 12 volt power supply
INPUT AC 100-120 v -60 Hz 35VA

OUTPUT
12VDC 1.25A
when plugged in it measures 12.12 volt on meter
will this work to power up a cb radio

ok I found this one
input 120v 60Hz
17W 0.14A
output 13V 650mA
when I plug it in it say 19.06 on my volt meter
650mA is .65 of one amp - that won't do. You need 1 amp just to turn the radio on and listen. Depending on the CB - you will need 3-5 amps to transmit w/o overloading the power supply. What model and make of radio is it? Regardless of make/model; you will need at least a 4-5 amp supply. Anything else would cause the radio to be exposed to low voltages and cause damages.

If you run too high a voltage; then you risk damage as well.
19v is too much voltage...don't use it!

No more than 14.1 volts and no less than 13.8 volts.
Most "12v power supplies" on the market today are actually 13.8v.
Remember this: you can get a power supply that has a higher amp rating - the radio will only draw as many amps out of the supply as it needs.
But the voltage is important - and must be matched to the need!

Here is an example of what you need.
You may find a used one for $20 if you look around locally...
http://www.12volt-travel.com/5-amp-...9.html?zenid=f94ddb18bd937575e547d5a31fbb2714

Last edited:
I have an Astron RS 20A I will sell for $55 + shipping, it weighs 20 lbs.

Does 16 amps continuous and 20 amps peak.

rs20a.jpg

just get a computer power supply. in the atx type you have to short usually the green wire to one of the black ones with a wire to get it to turn on(on the motherboard plug. the voltages on the dc power plug are often written on the back of the cd player. They are stable, inexpensive and high quality but they don't have short circuit protection so you must be careful when wiring them up. there are many howto's available for googling.

just get a computer power supply. in the atx type you have to short usually the green wire to one of the black ones with a wire to get it to turn on(on the motherboard plug. the voltages on the dc power plug are often written on the back of the cd player. They are stable, inexpensive and high quality but they don't have short circuit protection so you must be careful when wiring them up. there are many howto's available for googling.
Good idea also, I have 2 extra laying here.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.