• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WILSON 1000/5000 verses WILSON 2000 ???

Switch Kit

Apr 6, 2005
I've always kind of wondered if there might be a better situation comparing these antenna's on a mobile ? i know what the theroy is when the experts talk about loaded antenna's ...meaning that the higher the load on any given antenna supposedly makes for the better ? I've often considered mounting a Wilson 2000 center loaded antenna to see if there might be a better all around performance beings that it is a center loaded rather then bottom loaded like the 1000s/5000s ? Has anyone ever tried this with a Wilson 2000 ? ....it kind of makes since when guys talk about how good the 10K antenna's are beings that they are centered loaded as well (or so it would seem ?) I can say this much about the Firestick type antenna's that seem to have the thickest part of there loads at the top of the antenna.....They are very good performing antenna's for what they are ......makes me think it might just be because the load is at the top of them ?? .....I think it would be pretty hard to run a top loaded antenna all the same but the experts say if you had to run a loaded antenna .......the top would be the best ....the middle would be the second best and the bottom would be the least ......HMMM very interesting to say the least.

Switch Kit,
Bottom, center, or top loaded, it's all a matter of degree. Sure, the top loaded ones are going to be just a tiny bit better than the other. The bottom loaded ones just a tiny bit worse than the others. But, the difference is very tiny when you are listening with them, no matter which one. You also have to factor in the mechanical differences, and how easy they are to 'live' with. When you do that, there's not really enough difference to make much difference at all. If there isn't really enough difference that you can hear (and there isn't, really), then don't waste a lot of worry on it...
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
if that's all it really is, is a "tiny" difference ......I doubt I would go there for only a more then likely "tiny" difference. I was just wondering if there would be a "bigger" and "better" defferance with a load change. Thanks for the info Doc .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.