• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 1000 or 5000

P

penguinstalker

I need a new magnetic mount antenna, but I can't decide between these 2. Due to the parking garage at work, it has to be mag-mounted. Any opinions? Maybe a better mag-mount setup I should consider?

Thank you

I am very happy with a k40 mag mount. It's NOT the K40 with the coil at the bottom. The mag mount is about 6 inch in diameter and the wip looks like a fire stick with a small ajustable metal wip at the top.

Same as Wilson 5000. The 5000 seems to get out and hear a touch better than the 1000. I have both, and would go with the 5000 if I had to do it over again.

penguinstalker said:
I need a new magnetic mount antenna, but I can't decide between these 2. Due to the parking garage at work, it has to be mag-mounted. Any opinions? Maybe a better mag-mount setup I should consider?

Thank you
I run the 1000 trunk mount. The antenna unscrews from the mount. As between the 2 the 1000 is more broadband then the 5000.
Tom

no expert here ,been running Wilson's off and on for 15 years now , never ever had a problem what so ever with either 1000 or 5000 , mags,trunks or roof mounts. (roof always being the best sollid ground wise) These antenna's really make it easy for the rookies in the hobby becuase they work and work well , SWR is usually right in there without even breaking a sweat which makes running power a very non-headach type situation for the most part. I personally see no diff in trans or receive on either 5000 or 1000 .NONE !! other then one will hold more power then the other...THAT'S IT !!! if you get a 1000 the rg-58 should handle about 500 watts pep anymore you would need to upgrade the coax to Mini 8 (which already comes on the 5000 models) if your not looking to run more then that or just a stock maybe tuned radio you can save the extra money and just get the 1000 model. I personally don't run big power but I was offered a 5000 at a next to nothing price so i just went with that. (there slightly bigger and give my ego a rise) the only other thing I can think of concerning the Wilson's is the factory 259's, 9 times out of 10 ,I will cut them off and solder on my own , why ? I've just seen them falling apart and shorting out problems over the years, putting my own on tends to fix that problem before a problem has a chance to start. whatever mount you would decide to get ? there all easy screw on and screw off and come with a nice little weather cap you can screw on when the antenna is off , with the magmount in mind it make it very nice to just unscrew the antenna rather then taking of the magmount everytime , this will also help with scratches and ware and tare on your paint job . The Wilson line of antenna's are very decent antenna's ,Are they the best ? I truly doubt it ,but without a doubt in my mind ,they will hold there own and then some. Last but not least ,they sell ever part for any Wilson if need be.Good Luck to you. Switch Kit

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.