• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 1000 vs. Scorpion SA-680S

dxhound

Nov 17, 2006
Just wondering if the Wilson would outperform the scorpion SA-680s for local communications or not?? Hmmmmm

What do you guys think, im going to reserve my comments for now.

Antennas

I own, use, and recommend the Wilson 1000.
I also use the same Wilson mag mount and put a Sirio Z-180 on.
But the Wilson 1000 has worked out great driving across the country. It's quiet, very efficient, and fairly inexpensive for what you get for the money.

Talk all kinds of DX with it when skip is in - using only an export radio on it.

I own, use, and recommend the Wilson 1000.
I also use the same Wilson mag mount and put a Sirio Z-180 on.
But the Wilson 1000 has worked out great driving across the country. It's quiet, very efficient, and fairly inexpensive for what you get for the money.

Talk all kinds of DX with it when skip is in - using only an export radio on it.

those are two very different antennas . one is $60 antenna designed for the CB radio band (11 meters) and the other is a $600 10-80 meter ham antenna . if youre just on 11 meters (cb channels) the wilson is a much much more cost effective solution and is much easier to mount . if youre a hammy and need to cover multiple bands from 10-80 meters the scorpion is gonna be the only option from your two choices .

I AM NOT A HAM , so i have no idea if the scorpion is a good screwdriver antenna . im sure some of the hams here can give you the 411 on the scorpion and let you know if theres something better for that application .

Just wondering, did you happen to see where they mounted that $600+ antenna? In a shitty spot with hardly any ground plane.

Looks to me like a scam, or that someone obviously didn't do their research. I'd even bet that the simplicity of a Wilson 1000 (I own and use one) properly mounted would work better than the Scorpion mounted the way it is.

Don't waste your money, proven technology is out there, just make sure you implement it correctly (highest point of the vehicle is a start).

Good luck.

Just wondering, did you happen to see where they mounted that $600+ antenna? In a shitty spot with hardly any ground plane.

Looks to me like a scam, or that someone obviously didn't do their research. I'd even bet that the simplicity of a Wilson 1000 (I own and use one) properly mounted would work better than the Scorpion mounted the way it is.

Don't waste your money, proven technology is out there, just make sure you implement it correctly (highest point of the vehicle is a start).

Good luck.

Ok, First off, I dont own scorpion, but have heard them on the air. I am a Ham but was just wondering for a 11 meter comparison only!!! These are one of the BEST screw driver antennas made, along with Tarheel.

Green Teg, you really need to learn antennas before jumping to conclusions
START HERE Welcome to KØBG's Web Site

I also own a wilson 1000. I love wilson and thats all I run as far as 11 meter is concerned. When you read the site, you will learn about efficiency along with alot more need to know. These antennas do not require a "ground plane" do to there desighn and use of shunt coils to defeat earth loss.

And yes Booty, I am looking to use this antenna for all of HF -160. I am just wandering how the scorpion would do when compared to a wilson for local talk, DX the scorpion would win HANDS DOWN.

since you have both antennas why dont you compare them and let us know the pros and cons of each one on 11 meters ?

just curious , why do you think the scorpion would win hands down compared to the wilson 1000 on the chicken band if you havnt compared them . lots of people have talked skip very effectively with them .

Wilsons are nice antennas (for 10 11 and posssibly 12 meters I own a few different models. But lets take that Wilson antenna to any of the other bands like 160 80 60 40 30 20 17 15 lets see how it broadbands next to the Scorpion (I THINK NOT!!!!) Theres no comparison except maybe on 11 meters where Wilson focussed when buildind these mobile antennas and thats speaking of talking local Im not sure myself what would happen as far as DX or Skip talking between the 2 antennas in question.

I think Green may have missed the point on what was being asked or talked about here which antenna is better well I love Wilsons as far as there simplifying 10-11 meters but I talk on these other bands aswell and enjoy them to. Life cant get any better along with operating options when it comes to the screwdriver antenna. I will eventually get something of this type of setup for an antenna in the future or sooner than later.

The problem is they are big and my wife also being a licensed amateur operator has an issue with having one of these big bulky antennas on her vehicle but I have an idea with an easy disconnect mount sytem and thats to go with the trailer hitch mount its not the best place to mount but if it allowed me to run these screwdriver antennas on our vehicles than its most certainly better than nothing.

Heres another antenna to look at Larry's Antennas LLC I actually just want atleast a mono band antenna for running on 3.913.00 when mobile I have a quad mag mount so Im looking at a few different antenna ham stick and a few others like this one Ive looked at aswell these guys make one for every band JDCAntennas.com

Im sure JDC isnt the best route but as I said to get me atleast out there on a few of the bands that the Wilson cant get me to I guess it would be worth a try.

I own and use one of the Scorpion antennas, the shorter version. I can tell you that it works well, on 11 meters too. I don't own a Wilson antenna, so take this for what it's worth. The Scorpion will out perform that Wilson on any band other than 11 meters, simply because the Wilson was never designed to work anywhere other than 11 meters, no matter what you think it's 'bandwidth' is. I don't think the Wilson is a comparable antenna because that Scorpion is longer (on 11 meters too).
Having said that, the Scorpion would not be my first choice for a strictly 11 meter antenna. I think I can give you at least 500 good rea$ons why.
The Scorpion is not a 'plug-n-play' antenna! It does require some setup. It also requires a very, very heavy duty mount. That antenna is heavy. For get a ball-mount, or a 'puck'. Do some checking as to how the thing is mounted before getting one.
Can't say much about the "fixed" mounting system, I don't have one. If it's -anything- like the antenna, it ought to do as well as any mobile antenna used as a fixed antenna.
I've seen several of the other screwdriver type antennas at one time or another. I can honestly say that I've never seen one that will compare to the Scorpion's quality. You have to see the thing to believe it. A very good indication of it's quality is the way it's shipped. You have to see that to believe it too. Follow the instructions for unpacking it! Otherwise, you won't get it unpacked.
I've used a bugcatcher antenna for a very long time and as far as efficiency I don't think there's anything that will beat it, bar none. The Scorpion comes closer than anything I've used/heard so far.
Enough of all that. Best choice is the one that fit's your situation the best, and that you are willing to pay for.
- 'Doc

Guys, I am a ham and will be using this antenna for 80-10. My comparison was performance on 11 meter strictly!! I know the wilson will only work well on 10-12 meter...kinda goes without saying.

W5LZ So you think the Wilson will out perform the Scorpion on 11 meter? You dont think the efficiency or wavelength would be enough to over come the monoband design?

dxhound,
Actually, I think the Scorpion would do better on 11 meters. Not having a Wilson to do any comparisons with, I certainly couldn't say for sure. That Scorpion would basically be a 1/4 wave antenna, where the Wilson wouldn't be. And since radiation patterns are antenna length dependent, I figure since the Scorpion is much closer to that than the Wilson is... see where that's going? I also think that any differences between the two are not going to be all that much. And because of all the other variables with mounting, etc, I ain't making any bets, either way.
- 'Doc

The Wilson will do well but it has fallen out of favor out west because it's noisier and has a little less overall performance in comparison to the Sirio 5000.

I used to run a Wilson but now have it reserved for friends I may go to camping with and who want a radio plugged into their cig lighter.

I prefer my Hi-Q but strictly for 11m the Hamstick works best, other than a full ¼ wave whip.
In my tests the Wilson was 15 over 9 where the Lakeview Hamstick (the only brand I'll use) was 17.5 over and the ¼ wave was 18 over, a needle width stronger than the Hamstick.

I also notice a big reduction in noise when I switch away from the Wilson mag mount to the mag mount Hamstick.

The guys around here are raving about the Sirio 5K, all of them agree it's an overall better performer and much quieter than the Wilson 1000/5000.

If you could get your Scorpion up on the roof I believe you'd dust the Wilson, but if it's down alongside the rear fender a roof mounted Wilson might be the best performer of the two for 10m & 11m.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.