• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 5000 Mag Mount Install

ctvanover

N/A
May 22, 2005
Archdale, NC 27263
OK.....enough is enough! No more experimenting with mix and match antennas. I bought me an Wilson 5000 Mag Mount from Thomas Distributing. Shipping and all.....about $86. Anyway, I mounted it on top of my'03 Silverado ext. cab, ran the coax over to the driver's side back door, down under the weatherstripping to the inside, down the inside corner and across the bottom of the back seat, right up through the middle along the right side of the driver's seat, right up to the back of the Magnum S9. A perfect run of coax! With my MFJ-259B I started my adjustments making sure I was at least 30 feet away from anything. After cutting probably 1 to 1 1/2 inches off the top of the antenna, I finally ended up with these swr's:

Ch. 01 (26.965) 1.2:1 with R=62 and X=5
Ch. 19 (27.185) 1.0:1 with R=51 and X=4
Ch. 40 (27.405) 1.2:1 with R=43 and X=9

If it can get any better than that, someone needs to tell me how, but I thought that I done a pretty darn good job myself. Thanks for all of the info in all of the other different posts. Everyone here was there when I needed them. Thanks Guys!

you cut the length off of the top of the antenna?

standard practice is to cut from the bottom of the antenna where it fits into the base.

the tip on the end of the antenna actually serves a purpose!

antenna tips dont necessarily like sharp points and sharp edges.

im not saying you didnt do a fine job, but i find it strange that you had to cut any length at all off of the antenna.

i have owned two wilson 1000 antennas and currently own a wilson 5000 antenna.

i have used these antennas on three different cars, as a mag mount, a roof mount, and once as a trunk lip mount.

each time i was able to achieve a 1.2 or 1.1 match by adjusting the antenna length at the base without cutting at all. (except for the trunk lip mount, and 1.7 was the best i could get)

i will say that i just used an SWR meter, so tuning with an analyzer might be different. i have never played with one.

who knows,
LC

standard practice is to cut from the bottom of the antenna where it fits into the base.

im not saying you didnt do a fine job, but i find it strange that you had to cut any length at all off of the antenna.

who knows,
LC

OK, from a previous post here, http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-antennas/45361-mobile-antenna-stinger.html, I asked the question, Does it matter which end of the of the stinger that you cut in order to get the best possible swr?

Mackmobile43 said that it doesn't really matter and that you can cut from either end if your stinger does not have a corona ball but if it does it only makes sense to cut from the opposite end.

I also asked the same question here at cbtricks.com, Mobile Antenna Stinger, and they're reply basically says the same thing but that the corona ball really didn't serve a purpose at all, actually there's a link to the QRZ.com forum, http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=156060, that says a pointed tip antenna works best to dissipate static electricity better than the ones with the corona balls. So, I find it better to trim off the top of the antenna a little at a time to get the best swr's. Besides, if you do cut off a little too much, you can still adjust it at the bottom with the set screws.

I've done my research, I think? lol But like I said, if I've done anything wrong, let me know. Any and All HELP is Welcomed!

I think you will find that it does make a difference about cutting off that coronal/static ball. It won't make huge big difference unless you happen to run lots of power, or live where static electricity is real common (hot/dry areas). I don't think I'd worry about it a great deal though, if it really starts getting on your nerves, you can always add a corona ball later, or just get rid of any sharp edges.
All things considered, I think you got it about as good as it gets, I'd certainly be happy with it.
- 'Doc

i have owned two wilson 1000 antennas and currently own a wilson 5000 antenna.

i have used these antennas on three different cars, as a mag mount, a roof mount, and once as a trunk lip mount.

each time i was able to achieve a 1.2 or 1.1 match by adjusting the antenna length at the base without cutting at all. (except for the trunk lip mount, and 1.7 was the best i could get)

i will say that i just used an SWR meter, so tuning with an analyzer might be different. i have never played with one.

who knows,
LC
As Doc said "it's not the end of the world"

I think you will find that it does make a difference about cutting off that coronal/static ball. It won't make huge big difference unless you happen to run lots of power, or live where static electricity is real common (hot/dry areas). I don't think I'd worry about it a great deal though, if it really starts getting on your nerves, you can always add a corona ball later, or just get rid of any sharp edges.
All things considered, I think you got it about as good as it gets, I'd certainly be happy with it.
- 'Doc

Thanks Doc.....I think I've done a pretty good job myself!

Actually the only power ran will be the original power of the Magnum S9, what somewhere around 40 watts norm. and around 50 watts with the turbo boost. Everybody that I have talked to says it sounds really good.

Trimming the Antenna

Actually, It doesn't really matter whether you trim the top or bottom. On the back of the box for the little Wilson magnetic CB antenna it says and i qoute," Check the SWR on Ch. 1 and Ch. 40. if the SWR is lower on CH. 1 than on Ch. 40, cut 1/4 inch from the top of the whip and recheck the SWR. Repeat until SWR is approximately the same on CH. 1 and CH. 40."

I am assuming that they tested Antennas to see if whether or not a top or bottom trim mattered or not.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio