• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson 5000 Trucker Antenna

ctvanover

N/A
May 22, 2005
Archdale, NC 27263
How well would a Wilson 5000 Trucker Antenna, with a 4" extension on the bottom of the coil, work if it was screwed into a 5" magnet mount and set smack dab right in the middle of my '03 Chevy ext. cabs roof? Would it work as well as the regular Wilson 5000 magnet mount or not?

How well would a Wilson 5000 Trucker Antenna, with a 2" extension on the bottom of the coil, work if it was screwed into a 5" magnet mount and set smack dab right in the middle of my '03 Chevy ext. cabs roof? Would it work as well as the regular Wilson 5000 magnet mount or not?

Try it - it should work.
Just check the SWR...
;)

I made a quick edit in the first post. Instead of a 2" extension it's a 4" extension. Now what about maybe adding a mobile ground plane to the bottom of it, would it make a difference?

eventually you'll get to a point where that 5" magnet will have trouble holding all that wind load.

I've never been a big fan of those mobile ground planes... I know guys who swear by them, but I've never seen that big of an improvement. But, the best thing about this hobby is you can test things out and come to the conclusion about what works best for you.

Better improvement than that ground plane thing would be to simply punch a hole and put a sturdy mount on. I ran a Wilson 1000 mag mount for a long time and finally just punched a hole for the roof mount one....it worked better.

When you get rid of the car, just pop a rain cap on the antenna and tell them it's for a cellphone...I've had holes in lease vehicles even and never had a problem even with dealer trades. They don't pay that much attention. Just don't tear up your interior running the cabling.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio