• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wilson short-whip and roof-mount

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
Ok, finally received my roof-mount and short whip for the car.

Looking at the short-whip, which is basically a center loaded whip, and got wondering if/how that might affect the TX? So there would be a load on a load...any issues?

It states it will handle 500 watts, and if it works, I might put one on my truck with a Wilson 5000. I'm running around 100 watts (average).

The only 'issue' is that the thing is short, which will affect how it transmits and receives. The 'load' is what makes it possible to be that short. It might be a bit touchy to tune, no idea, haven't messed with one so that's just a guess. Will it handle 100 watts? Good question! Since it isn't rated at the 3k or 30k level you might wanna sort of work up to that 100 watts in stages? It'll probably handle it just fine. Feel the thing after using 100 watts through it. Is it warmer than before? If so, I think I'd drop that power level a bit.
Is any of this an exaggeration? Maybe, but I have no idea how much of one.
- 'Doc

Basically, it shortens the whip from 62 inches to 39 inches, so its not that much shorter. Again, it states it will handle 500 watts...I don't think I'm anywhere near 500 watts (even PEP, I'm probably closer to 250 watts).

Guess I'll look at what it does for the car first, then decide if I want to try it on the truck. I have a spare W1000 coil, so I won't mess up my tuned antenna to try this short-whip.

got a real good match with mine and thats with a antenna analyizer. i regularly talk 30/40 miles away with it on ssb .. it aint a 1000 but its a dam nice lil antenna ..

Last edited:
yep,,its a compromise alright..but if you still want to get out pretty well without smackin every tree branch you go under or drive through you go under or with out your truck lookin like a remote control toy, it aint a bad compromise..

if youre not running much power why not just use a wilson lil will ? one handled my 2x1446 just fine .

I don't get it.
I went to such great lengths to get a Wilson 1000 w/standard whip so that I can maximize receive. Even that antenna is a compromise; either a predator 10k or a 102" whip is as good or better. Why would one want to compromise receive by making it shorter still? Given - any 200 watt amp is going to maximize transmit; but who really uses the noisy receive circuit on an amp?!? In any mobile installation, you need every advantage you can get. Especially the antenna; it needs to be optimal as possible to hear...

My vehicle is 5 ft tall, and the Wilson whip is 5 ft tall - altogether 10 ft isn't really that tall. You can always take it off of the roof and put it in your car when garaging it. But why compromise so much of what the antenna is capable of by using a low-power center load and minimize its capability???

Last edited:
Couple of things not to get too 'wrapped up' with.
The power handling abilities of an antenna have absolutely nothing to do with it's hearing ability. The only time that power handling ability is important is if/when you are using that much power. Which, when you really stop and think about it, is a very un-productive way of getting further.

Convenience always costs you something. If that convenience is worth the cost to you then do it! The 'problem' with that is that convenience is never the 'best' way.

Loading. Bottom, center, top loading. There is/can be a difference, but that difference is very slight. In most cases, you can't tell any difference. The most noticeable differences are mechanical, not electrical. Them bottom loaded antennas are just much easier to make and live with. Center and top loaded antennas have to be 'bigger' physically. Which means a 'bigger'/'better' mounting system (and other stuff).

Advertising/reputation. You can get away with almost anything! Depending on the subject, and who'z doing that advertising, very large doses of salt/Ex-Lax is recommended. I'll leave it at that...
- 'Doc

Couple of things not to get too 'wrapped up' with.
The power handling abilities of an antenna have absolutely nothing to do with it's hearing ability. The only time that power handling ability is important is if/when you are using that much power.

Think of that another way:
If an antenna has a power limit, it must be that its turning some of the transmitter power into heat. An imaginary 100% efficient antenna should be able to handle any power until the antenna tip starts arcing over. But all metals have resistance, so there is a power limit, meaning no antenna is 100% efficient.

The rule of antenna reciprocity says that antenna gain (and efficiency) applies equally to both transmit and receive. I could say an antenna with a power limit would hear worse compared to an antenna with a higher power rating.

The center-loaded short-whip on the wilson has a coil of fine wire. The small wire can only handle so much current, and reduced more by skin effect.

Dudmuck,
"The rule of antenna reciprocity says that antenna gain (and efficiency) applies equally to both transmit and receive. I could say an antenna with a power limit would hear worse compared to an antenna with a higher power rating."

Ah! You 'could' say that, but it's a good thing that you didn't, because reciprocity doesn't work that way. Otherwise, why would there be very good receiving antennas that are terrible for transmitting? :)
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.