• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wire antenna

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
I am making a portable wire antenna for QRP, It is an inverted L

I have a fiberglass telescoping pole to build the following.

miniminvl.gif

I am using 2 wires, 98 foot each, stranded copper insulated #26 AWG.

I am wanting to attach a fishing swivel
swivel.jpg
to the end of the wire and mono filament line and launch into a tree.

If I tie the wire to a swivel like I would mono filament when fishing (Palomar Knot) will the knot effect the wire in any way?

Electrically with the tuner shown any impact of the knot is offset. Does the knot work as well with insulated 24Ga wire as well as mono-filament I believe is a more relevant question. I would just loop the wire thru the end in the swivel and secure it with a tie-wrap only because I have a access to them and use them frequently. Try your knot and see how it works for you. That is the best way to determine how well it works.

Mike

The physical size of that knot is an insignificantly small percentage of a wavelength unless you're getting well up into UHF. I'd be more concerned about the size of the swivel.

But there again, depending on the specific frequency you're going to be using, most normal swivels are only an inch or so long. Maybe worry about that as you get close to 10 meters, but I wouldn't worry about any lower frequencies.

It should not have any effect but if want to be sure you could bridge the angle where the swivel is located with a piece of wire. I ass u me the swivel is located at the junction of the 33 foot vert and 66 foot horz point. You could also not secure the swivel to the wire at that point and let the wire "float" within the swivel ring. That way you can easily adjust the vert versus horz length is mounting locations do not permit a full 33 feet high. I do that with my inverted L that runs up the tower only I use an antenna insulator at that point and just let the wire run free thru it.

Instead of using the palomar knot (which probably won't work too well with wire) just run the wire through swivel and crimp it to itelf using a wire rope crimping tool. There are some crimping tools for steel fishing leader that you could find while you're looking for your barrel swivel.

Either will work. In the ground is more convenient if the thing is permanent, less tangling in lawnmowers. If it's temporary, on the ground is just fine.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.