• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Xforce 400 HD

CDX197

Apr 2, 2005
Nebraska's cornfields
Just bought this amp and saw that it required a X-40 or an X-80... Well i had my radio tuned the other day to put out on the low side around 3 watts and swing to round 22 and on the high DK 5 swing 28.. Will this be enough or do i need a driver??? :headbang:headbang

ya gotta love good business sense . take 4 2879's that can be driven to full clean power output with a typical radio . mount them in a design devoid of any bias designed for a am frequency let alone a ssb channel (dont forget to add a ssb delay) . oh yea , and make it so you have to buy another amp to drive it . money money money .

You'll need about a 25 or 30 watt carrier and to near 60 or 70 watts pep to get brown and that's if the transformers are wound in the 3 in and 3 out configuration.

Anyway that's what I do with my hd mack4orce class-c boxes.

Just bought this amp and saw that it required a X-40 or an X-80... Well i had my radio tuned the other day to put out on the low side around 3 watts and swing to round 22 and on the high DK 5 swing 28.. Will this be enough or do i need a driver??? :headbang:headbang

That 4 pill won't do squat driven by just the radio. Either driver you listed would be fine and if you are the type that wants top output go with the X-80 but the X-40 will give you 100-200 watts less pep.......but still way better than a Texas Star POS. Set up the radio with a 1-2 watt key and let the amps do the work. I don't know of anyone that would loaf a purpose built killer amp.
Ham radio rule of thumb.......use just enough power to make and hold the contact.
CB radio rule of thumb.........NEVER ENOUGH!

Actually the Texas Star 500V is one of their better amplifiers, if you do alot of SSB then that would have been a good choice. The MagnaForce 600 even better yet. The X-Force 200HD would be a better choice with your radio but....the 400HD will work for now. You can get the driver later.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.