• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU 2100B

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
What are your thoughts on these and what are they worth I have one here that came with all cables and book in like new condition cosmetic and performance. It was a silent key friend of mine I am pretty much trying it out but cant find much info on pricing I wont have to pay full price most likely half but I need to know where to start and if these are as good and durable as some say.

An FL-2100b isn't a bad amplifier. Don't expect miracles, but they usually do exactly what they claim if you follow directions.
What are they worth today? Beats me. I can tell you what I paid for one quite a few years ago, but that wouldn't help much. You used to be able to take a look at AES's used gear for a sort of high average price, but I've got a feeling it would be wasting your time now.
Not much help, huh?
- 'Doc

2100b

W5LZ said:
An FL-2100b isn't a bad amplifier. Don't expect miracles, but they usually do exactly what they claim if you follow directions.
What are they worth today? Beats me. I can tell you what I paid for one quite a few years ago, but that wouldn't help much. You used to be able to take a look at AES's used gear for a sort of high average price, but I've got a feeling it would be wasting your time now.
Not much help, huh?
- 'Doc
4 to 700 on ebay.Depending on the condition.Ive been looking at them 4 a while.Average has been around 500 to 600....

This one is S :shock: CLEAN IT LOOKS NEW. Like its just off the shelf at a shop. It still has the clear plastic over the face plate I dont even see scratches on this thing thats no B.S. Ill really look it over tomorrow. This thing is incredible as far as operation and cosmetics it runs a little warm but then again thats a tube Amp for ya and its to be expected.

Let me add this to my other post. After doing some nosing around, I think a price around $400 to maybe $500 would be reasonable (to me, anyway). I also wouldn't expect that 700-800 watts claimed by some, unless they're talking input power. It's a pair of 572's, not a 3-500, so keep it reasonable.
I seem to recall having to make some adjustment to the one I had that involved partially removing the thing from it's cabinet. Can't for the life of me remember what it was, but can say that it wasn't any fun. If you get a chance, a little modification is also a fairly good idea in the input connector. It's an RCA phone-jack instead of an SO-239. Not really a problem, just different, and not very common to have a coax jumper with one of the @#$ things on it.
Something else to keep in mind is that since the tubes 'lay down' in the 2100b, you want to be very careful about replacing them. There are more than one 'style' of those tubes, some have plates and grids that are oriented 90 degrees from standard. If the width of the plates/grids do not stand vertical, they will last about 30 seconds after turning the amplifier on. When they get hot the grids naturally expand and then short out to the plate because of 'sag'. Something to pay attention to with any tube that doesn't stand vertically in use.
It's still a good amplifier...
- 'Doc

Its a good amplifier designed for SSB (30% duty cycle) just like the SB-200 and SB-220. Run it hard on AM and you will kill it.

RF Parts recommends Taylor Tubes for this amp which also requires a minor modification.
http://www.rfparts.com/technical.html

Yaesu FL2100B Amplifier Tubes

We find that this amplifier exhibits susceptibility to spurious oscillations. Originally, the U.S. 572-B tubes had mu (µ) of 170 or less, and would work fairly well if care was exercised in tune up (see owners manual). Cetron & Taylor Electronics brands work satisfactorily.

The quality 572B tubes manufactured by Svetlana have greater amplifications factor (µ), and may cause the "conditionally stable" FL2100B to break into oscillation due primarily to insufficient cutoff bias.

The newer version Yaesu FL2100Z incorporates design changes which alleviate many of the problems found in the "B" version. A few minor modifications can be made to the FL2100B to tame it down, i.e. changing the bias supply from a half-wave to voltage doubler. We recommend this improvement for all FL2100B regardless of tubes used. Modification information and "mod kit" is available from RF Parts.

It's worth more to a Yaesu collector if in primo shape.

History:
http://www.foxtango.org/amplifiers/FL Amplifier Evolution.htm

This thing will never see AM I dont use AM / FM or very seldom and no power is even needed. Ill look into the tube change that is pretty interesting that therees a changeover for pretty much all the Tube amps. This amp came from the same place my Yaesu FT-990 did as a matter of fact theyb were run together there aswell so it came with everything needed to run with this FT-990

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.