• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU FT-450 AND 2100B

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I am wondering if I have to get the external relay box for running my Yaesu FT-450 into my Yaesu 2100B or will this Voltage match up ok? I know Ill have to make a new Cord for that setup as far as the relay (exciter) goes. Also is the ECT ALC an important thing to have hopoked up and what is the main reason for it? I know its setup on my FT-990 and 2100B now.

ALC, when properly adjusted and connected, keeps the exciter from overdriving the amplifier.

The manuals for the equipment will have the information about keying voltage/current. If you don't have the manuals, I'd worry about getting them before doing anything else. You can probably download them off the internet; if not, there are several places where you can buy copies.

I bought the radio Brand new a few weeks ago but A amatuer store told me I would need the relay box and with cables it was like $80.00 but then I was told by another source I dont need that so I was confused. I figured I would ask here because someone may own one or know forsure first hand.

Since the amplifier is about 20-30 years old and the exciter is new, it's pretty safe to say that you will need some sort of interface between the two. I found the 2100B manual on line, but it doesn't give any specifications as to what sort of voltage/current is at the terminals. You can measure it with a multimeter and compare it with the specs for the 450. Just be careful, and have the amplifier connected to a dummy load the whole time.

I would strongly suggest a relay buffer between your rig and the amp. If you are handy you could wire a small relay that is triggered by your radio and use that relay to trigger the amp.The switching in the modern radios is usually handled by a small switching transistor that cannot handle nuch voltage or current. That is why they make these overpriced (in my opinion) relay interface boxes.

yupp I was reading about this today so relay it is anyone out here good with this I need a cord and box Just let me know how much i want this to be wired for my 2100b

Last edited:
I ran a 2100B with my yaesu FT-990 . You do not need a buffer, run as is. The Heathkit 220 is another story. 73 good luck n4joh/John

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.