• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

YAESU FT 450/AT

Denmark

Oct 10, 2008
Denmark
Thinking of buy'ing this radio so would like to hear what you guy'z think about it is it a good radio or is it a bad radio maybe some one in here has it and can tell me if i should spend some money on it..

Grt'z Denmark(y)

Well Ive had mine for almost a year and I love mine it works great on all bands I run mine on 75-80 meters s mostly but Ive ran it allover the bands most say its a pain in the #$$ to figure out the menu system but Ive gothat that down to a science.

Overall I really like mine and when I sell off more of the CB base stations and things I have here I am thinking of getting another FT-450 for my kids's bench all Ide have to do is the programming it for them and then it would work flawlessly. There kinda neat theres actually a choice between 3 different tones for an end of transmission curtessy tone well (roger beep in CB language) its pretty cool . Then there is a Voice monitor (Talk Back) feature along with 2 banks of voice record memory.

Also the radio has the speach or voice board in it where it talks and tells you what frequency/ mode your on thats not all that important but still a great feature to the seeing impared. All in all I think you would enjoy it once you had it all figured out I own and have owned numerous HF rigs and radios and I give this Yaesu FT-450 (y).

Well I have no use for the radio's cb toys.But I love everything else about it.Memory voice keyer is programed for my CQ.Can program a cw beacon without a key.I do reccomend the Nifty Mini Manual.
Rich

Im not looking at it as CB toys I was explaining some of the not so common features the radio has I dont use voice monitor or end of tramission tone. The voice recorder is for recording your call so all you have to do is push one of 2 button choices that hold seperate recordings and it transmits your call. Its a nice feature for contesting If these remind you of CB then it probally wouldnt be a very good radio for you and many others due to that fact.

Its a new age and times are changing Im sure there will be alot of what some people would consider useless features in a radio because its a dog eat dog world as far as these manufactures are concerned so be prepared for what you will see in some of the upcomming radios. Every feature just puts more icing on the cake when people are shopping for a new rig. I dont look at any of the features being CB related I know there intensions were far from that when making these new rigs. If you get the chance stop at a shop and look at one and give it a wirl you may like it.

As I said it takes time to learn all those menus and such but all in all its a nice rig (y)

I like the modern Icoms as they are set up to offer more power on AM and they sound GOOD on AM. I have an original 746 purchased the first year they came out. So the thing I guess is about 10 years old now. Never had a moment's trouble with it. This also coincides with the better beginnings of all the digital componentry and functions.

I used to have an older Icom 751A which was has a famous killer receive section, but it did not sound good on AM. Many or all of the modern ham rigs do not use a typical true AM circuit for transmitting, but utilize a double sideband scheme with a carrier injected to accomplish AM. Apparently Icom changed this at some point....all I can testify to is that my 746 sounds great on AM, and will swing power forward to double of whatever you set the carrier to. They are factory set up to max at 40 watts AM, and will swing to 80 from there. Likewise, if I set it at 20W, it will swing to 40. And that setting can be turned up inside the rig. I've also heard a late model 706 MII G sound great on AM.

The Kenwoods and Yaesus are set up for only 25 watts max, AM and I just don't know if their modern rigs sound good on AM or not. Perhaps some owner-users out there can let us know.

On the Icoms on AM, turn ON the Speech Processor, and increase the Mic Gain only until the modulation peaks hit 100% on the ALC meter. You're good to go.

I use my 746 for all 'round use on HF. Ham, 11 meters, AM, SSB and FM

The 746 and it's big sister, the 746 PRO, have 6 meters + VHF. So after doing the mod, they transmit 1.6~60mhz strait thru, and then again 108~174mhz strait thru. Now's that a darned decent capability.

So IF you're interested in the FT 450 to also be your CB AM rig, you may want to find out for sure if they sound good (have loud-clear audio) on AM. That could be one deciding factor for you. If you definitely want good AM capabilty out of a ham rig, you can't go wrong with any of the modern Icoms. Hope any of this info is useful to you and good luck with whatever you choose!

interview.gif

They all will swing and as far as sound its how you set them up and you have to know how to run them. As far as AM THE ONLY TIME ANY OF MY hf Rigs see AM is when there on a shortwave radio station.

My Yaesu 990 sounds excellent on AM but I dont go there my 450 when setting the Microphone equalizer correctly sounds great aswell they all do some like the FT-840's I have take a little resetting of the mic gain and there fine aswell with a D1O4 my wifes Kenwood TS-50 sounds fine aslong as the audio is set at the low positin and not high and thats a push of a button on the mic.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.