• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-7800R Review

74IN

Feb 17, 2003
Labia
Less control from the mic than my Icom 2200, 2100, and V8000's.

The meter reminds me of a Cobra 19IV, once squelched, the meter dissapears.

No display color option like the Icoms.

The remote head option is great, I'm using a 6 conductor phone cord with the short cord supplied, with a splice. You can't use only the phone cord, the ends are 180 degrees off. The head is tiny, I put it on the dash ledge in front of my temp gauge on my Jeep. Velcro holds it fine.

TX and RX are great, no intermod problems.

Plenty of TX power, hits all the repeaters I can hear.

Nice to have the extended RX, not sure waht I can find, but I look. I found a weather station in the mid 200Mhz, never knew about that.

The mic is tiny, but has frequency input, up/down, lock and illumination on/off, as well as some function buttons.

Speaker is crap, but who cares with remote mounting, sounds good with a little external speaker.

Has a data input, might never use it, but might be handy.

I trust the fan more that the V8000's, It comes on when you key, and stays on for a bit after. The V8000's never came on, really never knew if they even worked. Maybe the chassis heat sync was doing a fine job, I never knew.

Nice radio, I don't see myself going back to a single band FM.

Great deal at 150$, if I spent more, I'd still like it.

The TX is open, I wonder if I can TX 1.25M. If nobody knows, I'll make an antenna and try, that would be very cool.

74IN,
The only thing I'd add to what you said is that it does exactly what it claims to be able to do. (Forget '220 though, won't go there.) For the price, a nice radio!

Having said all that, I just don't like it. That's due to ~me~ more than anything with the '7800. I just don't understand Yeasu's method/philosophy of programming. That goes for any of their radios, not just the '7800. Another 'foible' I have is that things can be too small! Sure, it doesn't require the room other radios do, but with my eye sight and 'club' fingers, what can I say? I would recommend the programming cable and the program that UK guy made. Makes thing just so much simpler. I do have to say that the display is nice and sharp, easy to see even in bright light.
- 'Doc

I'd be more than happy to swap it for a Kenwood '708, 710, or '700! (hint, hint!) :) might even throw in some beer for 'boot'.

One other really nice thing with the 7800R is the illuminated buttons, particularly for mobile use.

I'm very used to the Yaesu 'mentality' for programming so it was a quick adjustment for me. It has similarities with my other Yaesu gear.

I just wish the 8800 (which is very very similar in menu layout and method) had illuminated buttons like my 7800 has.

I agree with all of the review, got mine for $125 used and would pay full price for another one without hesitation.

Lack of a true mic gain annoys me to no end though, but most dual-band rigs don't have one either.

picture070cc8.jpg

That radio was what I was looking at replacing an old 2400 with. I've never had a dual band radio in the car, so I guess it's about time. Everybody that has one speaks highly of them. The eham reviews are good as well.

Where I am, it's hard to find one of these used. I'm in Ontario, Canada. But for $269 new, what's not to like?

When I bought my FT-2400 in 1992, I paid $429 for it!

I really like this radio, Ill look to maybe do a little trading up with my 1802M at the Huntsville hamfest next week

I love mine. Had it about over two years now. When I first bought it, I got the cable and UK programming software and easy to program. Just recently got the materials to remote the head - Just have to install it now....... I bought another truck and want to put it in using the remote mount.

Where are you guys paying $125 for them!!

I almost paid 289 today that HRO but then decided to look at the web first?

ANy thoughts?

Check the dates on this thread, and the model numbers. I suspect you are not comparing like to like.

FT 7800

Today 3/4 of Texas Police went Digital switch..
No more scanning from the mobile..Antilog,convencal by the waste side...
Well That was a nice scanner too ..But..
Oh and Mine only did 35 watts out..short transmation's,( 20) miles or less..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.