• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-890 with Low RX gain

hi3mfr

May 7, 2018
Hi friends 73s HI3MFR

This is my frist thread...
I have a issue with my FT-890: I replace all the electrolytic capacitors in the Local Unit and RF Unit boards because this radio was showing fails with the display blinking and now is working good, but now also have a low RX gain level. I test with my other radio (ts-820s) and I RX a friend mine in 9+20dB but with the FT-890 the same friend only have in 3dB and with low signal.
I also resolder all the welds in bad condition and maybe I caused a short circuit in some point of the card ... I not sure ...
Wow can I solve this ?
many thanks
sorry for my bad english

73s
HI3MFR

Welcome first...I would retrace your steps make sure all the small coax jumpers are...
A: Proper locations on the boards...
B: Make sure there is no damage from removal/replacement...might look for tarnish and buff with a scotch-brite pad carefully
C: All the ribbon connectors and small jumpers are seated and make sure all the pins made connection..easy to miss one on those long connectors.
GL
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Reactions: hi3mfr

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.