• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FT-950 Noise Blanker

Mudfoot: I can't tell you for sure in your case how it will work.
I will relay this.
I purchased the Yaesu FT-950 NEW like 11-12 years ago. I still own it!
I find the NB/DNR/CONTOUR tuning very effective. The NB has two settings, Normal and Wide.
The Normal to me is very effective on "Hash" type noise, the Wide works well on most "Pulse" type garbage. ( EX: lousy car/truck ignition noise that passes by the house).
The depth of the blanker is adjustable via the menu, and ON/OFF switchable from the front panel.
The DNR, I find likewise effective on Band hash and atmospheric garbage. Again adjustable.
They both to me seem to work well. Do they do everything? No, but I have never owned one that I call perfect. Cranked up to max noise reduction, receiving very strong signals on SSB will distort.
( I am referencing like 20 over S9+ SSB) on CW not so much.
I enjoy that radio on SSB/ CW always have. The front panel adjustable bandwidth on CW is a very nice feature. IMHO. Also good on SSB with the included three roofing filters. (Also front panel switchable)
I also own the optionable MTU 80/60/40 preselector tuning unit. WOW improves the rigs receiver hash even more, not to mention adjacent frequency rejection. (Also front panel adjustable when installed)
Transmitter Section: The 2 Audio EQ's, with and without processor I have always liked. (these are independent of each other)
The FT-950 is almost identical in transmit operation to my Yaesu FTdx-3000D and once tuned to your voice yields good reports with my Heil Gold Elite or my PR-781 microphone.
I have also used the SHURE SM58 with good results, but have used the Heil PR-781 for many years now.
The Yaesu FT-950 is my daily driver on 75/40/20m as the FTdx3000D is my dedicated 6-meter rig and my Yaesu FT-920 is my 10-meter rig.
I know the IC-7300 crowd won't believe this but the FTdx3000D and the FT-950 on noise reduction, adjustable selectivity and most certainly adjacent frequency rejection; kicks it's A$$ in side by side testing at my location the receiver audio quality/selectivity wins hands down.
I have also side by side compared them to ICOM's former "Flagship" radio the IC-9100 and the Kenwood TS-2000, the Yaesu 3000D/FT-950 again win at my shack.

Enough said MHO.
All the Best
Gary

I'd be trading my 590SG for it. I like the Kenwood, but it has a completely useless NB. I was wanting to keep it for when I moved to the country. My moving plans are on indefinable hold now. I had a 991A, but the NB was useless as well. Is why I have doubts about the 950.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.