• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTDX10 versus FT-710

I don't have both sir, but I can tell you from my experience that the FT-710 is a very nice rig. Excellent receive with very effective and easily adjusted filtering. Excellent transmit audio. Menus are simple to get to and change. Nice spectrum scope/waterfall display. An external display monitor easily added. Good AF audio.

My favorite thing about it is the quality of the receive and filtering. It's allowed me to work weak-signal DX stations I could not hear with my previous rig. And that's with antennas that are lower than optimum height.

I've been told by operators of both rigs that they are not very far apart in the quality and level of operation. Whichever rig you settle on you'll get a lot of bang for your buck and I can't see you not being happy with your choice.

7 3

I don't have both sir, but I can tell you from my experience that the FT-710 is a very nice rig. Excellent receive with very effective and easily adjusted filtering. Excellent transmit audio. Menus are simple to get to and change. Nice spectrum scope/waterfall display. An external display monitor easily added. Good AF audio.

My favorite thing about it is the quality of the receive and filtering. It's allowed me to work weak-signal DX stations I could not hear with my previous rig. And that's with antennas that are lower than optimum height.

I've been told by operators of both rigs that they are not very far apart in the quality and level of operation. Whichever rig you settle on you'll get a lot of bang for your buck and I can't see you not being happy with your choice.

7 3
Thanks!

The placement of some of the key buttons looks a little crowded on the 10 whereas they appear more readily accessible on the 710.

Did yours come with an external speaker and do you use it?

Thanks!

The placement of some of the key buttons looks a little crowded on the 10 whereas they appear more readily accessible on the 710.

Did yours come with an external speaker and do you use it?
Yes, mine is the AESS model, with both the internal and external speakers. Yes I use both speakers and it sounds good, very "full" sounding when compared to a single speaker.

7 3

Reactions: Riverman
Toru Kato:

After about 1,700 QSO stations in one month, then my FT-710 went on fall break. The main radio was replaced by the FTDX5000MP.

After that, I want to wait for the firmware upgrade in Yaesu. The main improvements known are as follows:

1.The CW keyer operation timing is too slow . The time between operating the paddle and reacting is too slow for the built-in keyer to operate the CW.

2.The DNR parameter setting is bad and cannot be used at LEVEL 4 or higher.

3.There is a discontinuity that suddenly increases the sound when the low level of the AF-VR is turned discontinuously.
This is a major obstacle when you try to participate in the T33 pile-up in the middle of the night when your wife is sleeping next door. The sound of the headphones suddenly becomes discontinuous loud when the VR is turned to right.

4.BK-IN does not work with CW unless BK-IN is set for each band. BK-IN default is OFF, so there is no RF POWER when you QSY CW.
When calling some DX-pedi by CW, I often made a blank swing. This figure is very ridiculous and goofy. You wouldn't ask each band at SSB if they would use a mic.
I don't understand why this specification was made in this way. Did Yaesu make a mistake in the settings? BK-IN does not need to be turned on or off for each band at all.

5.REM and ALC can only use one of them. For this reason, ALC cannot be used with the FH-2 at the same time.
IF you use linear amplifier, you need to control the RF POWER, which cannot be managed on a band-by-band basis. Bad!
To manage the input of a linear amplifier without using an ALC, simply manage the maximum RF POWER per band.
If you QSY carelessly, the linear amplifier will overinput and in the worst case, it will break. RF POWER must be configurable on a per-band basis.
BK-IN and RF POWER settings are nested incorrectly.
This setting is still upside down

6.When CW AUTO IS TURNED ON, TRANSMISSION IS DISABLED IN USB-PRESET FT8 MODE. PTT and monitor sound are heard, but RF POWER is not output.
The quick countermeasure is to turn off CW AUTO MODE.

7.The TXW command for SPLIT setting takes 60 to configure. Moreover, it is necessary to use both hands to turn the FUNC with one and the dial with the other, and it is impossible to react instantly.
If you operate SPLIT with the CLAR function, this problem can be solved. Since there is no way to improve it, it may be difficult to improve TXW.

8.If you set SPLIT and press A/B, SPLIT is canceled. I think it's right that this won't be canceled.

9. ,It really needs spectrum averaging. Cursor mode is difficult to use. This is appropriate for Elecraft and ICOM, where pages are swapped. It's like writing a letter with a fountain pen on an unstopped letter, and I think it's completely useless.

If you're worried about the problem, tell the dealer where you bought the radio. And let Yaesu improve it.
New systems are fraught with errors. FT-710 is a T-win A/D converter and has excellent reception performance. It also has a wonderful shield structure and is well protected against vibration. I hope that the firmware upgrade will solve these problems.

FT-710 is just born, so let's keep an eye on its future growth.
Come quickly, new firmware.

I would wait ill all issues on newbor will be solved. (Or not solved)
710 when you using amp with alc connected you can't use remote keypad.
Mike

Last edited:
The DNR issue was resolved in my radio with the first firmware update, works quite well now.

I probably should have said that the only mode I operate in is phone and that I don't own an amp. If mine has issues with other mode operations I don't know about it, and frankly my dear.........

7 3

Reactions: lonestarbandit
The only gripe I have with my new 710 is the same some other owners have mentioned in online and YouTube reviews.
If you have large sausages for fingers as I do and you are using the small programmable frequency adjustment knob you will constantly bump the large VFO knob sending you veering wildly off frequency. Yaesu is apparently aware of this however as one click forward and back again on the smaller frequency knob undoes whatever your giant mitts have done to the main VFO and puts you back where you intended to be.
As I am not yet a ham, and haven't yet delved into more advanced frequency features etc your results may vary but other than low AM modulation which most won't ham users likely won't care about, I haven't found any other gripes. I dealt with the low AM modulation with a turner +3 on an adapter cord and the radios EQ turned OFF. Sideband modulation is outstanding but best with your typical hifi ham mic with the radios EQ ON.
In my case I added a switch box to swap mics without unplugging as needed. I used N4HNHs suggested EQ and processor in the radio settings.
In my untutored opinion the 710 is fantastic rig. Just be sure to update to the newest firmware as the updated noise reduction parameters make a notable difference.

The DNR issue was resolved in my radio with the first firmware update, works quite well now.

I probably should have said that the only mode I operate in is phone and that I don't own an amp. If mine has issues with other mode operations I don't know about it, and frankly my dear.........

7 3
......You cant find your ham?

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.