• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Yaesu FTM-350 Shuts Off

N2LRB

Dec 31, 2010
East Harlem, NYC, NY
www.n2lrb.com
Hi,
I have had this great radio now since the 11th of April. But yesterday while using it in the field on an 8ah battery it shut off twice. Both times it was on high power.

Today it shut off by itself while on High Power but attached to a 16-20amp power supply (Astron RS 20A). I could see the radio trying to draw more than the battery had, but not more than the 20A power supply could give it. The most the radio can draw is 8amp on full power or am I wrong? Even then it would not, should not draw more than a 16-20 amp power supply attached to the wall. After starting back on its own it works fine. I tried high power again and have not been able to repeat shut down. Seems intermittent.

Anyone else had this problem? Any menu item I need to look at?

Jose - N2LRB

Update:

I was talking on the radio on 440mhz this evening while connected to my roof antenna and my 16-20amp power supply. And it turned off on me on medium power. I then put it on low power and two minutes later it turned off and would not come back on for 10 minutes. It turned itself on. I am now convinced that there is something wrong with my particular radio. Using my FT 857D on the same frequency, power supply and antenna and it works fine. SWR is 2.0 on high power (20 watts on 857D, which is medium power on the FTM-350).

My ham friends think it is a radio cpu problem. Regardless I will call the retailer and try to get this radio replaced.

Yep, something wrong with the radio - it definitely should not draw enough power from a 20 amp supply to shut off. It almost sounds like the PA transistor(s) is drawing too much current.

I checked the SWR and it was 1.5 on both bands (Comet G6 antenna on roof). Spoke to the dealer and they were nice enough to have me send in the radio for a new one.

what is your output on 440? and 144? has anyone "tuned" the radio inside, did you do any mods?

Hi,
I have had this great radio now since the 11th of April. But yesterday while using it in the field on an 8ah battery it shut off twice. Both times it was on high power.

Today it shut off by itself while on High Power but attached to a 16-20amp power supply (Astron RS 20A). I could see the radio trying to draw more than the battery had, but not more than the 20A power supply could give it. The most the radio can draw is 8amp on full power or am I wrong? Even then it would not, should not draw more than a 16-20 amp power supply attached to the wall. After starting back on its own it works fine. I tried high power again and have not been able to repeat shut down. Seems intermittent.

Anyone else had this problem? Any menu item I need to look at?

Jose - N2LRB

Hi,
I have same issue with my FTM 350, Have you fix it?
thank's in advance for your reply

i having a problem also i did a reset that didn't do no helpit still shut off and came back on i have new dc cable i can try ! plus swr is good 1.5 but still no help!

when the radio was new 4 years ago never having any problem until this year i had battery replace back in june of this year ! so i dunno what going or why start to shut off it will stay on for awhile then shut off and comes back on !!! this is driving me up the wall i turn off radio untill i get this radio fixed !

Jackie
N4MJG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.