• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

150gtl

I never saw it either :( ....20 bucks for a C-150GTL !! .........I guess you just had to be there.

Yep... it seems they ended the sale and went up. It was there for a few days only it appears. I believe it was still showing 119 as late as Wed or so. And I don't believe it was noted on sale or something. Perhaps they had made a mistake and found it after a few of us ordered it? I dunno. It lasted five or six days after I found it. Not certain how long it was there before that. But its back up to typical retail now. Still a fairly decent deal with the rebate but not quite as good now. And to make matters worse... the free shipping is gone now too...

Note the couple trying to sell one for $137.... missing the box UPC... very enterprizing couple there. Lets see... they buy it for $119.50 and get $100 rebate and then sell it to you for $137 and pocket almost $230. Brilliant!

Well I got a chance to play with the radio a little today. Conversion was no problem, just a little chip resistor to take out, just need to be careful. Out of the box the AM modulation was about 60 percent according to my astatic 600 triple meter, so I got the PC board layout from CBTricks, and located the pots for AM modulation. There are two of them, 1 for hi power, other for low. Set it for 95 Percent using Astatic D104 microphone (the wiring is standard 4 pin Uniden/Galaxy layout.)

Talking to a guy in his mobile about 15 miles from me, I got great audio reports on both Am and Fm. Receive seems plenty sensitive, but bleedover was a bit of a problem. Not as tight as say a Grant or old 148/2000. Receive audio is a little crappy with the built in speaker, but good on my Euro CB external speaker. NB/ANL work ok. Echo and talkback are functional, but will not see much use. The Backlit faceplate is nice.

The channel layout is a little weird, but there are channel charts for it on CBTricks (Thanks, Bennie and all!) Band B is the standard 40, with RC channels included! This thing covers most of 11 meters from 26.065 to 27.855 in 2 bands of 90 channels each, and the rest of the way on through all of ten meters with the other two bands, so you don't lose 10 meters after conversion. The 10KC switch appears to do nothing after conversion to 11 meters, but since the RC channels are selectable with the channel knob, I see no need for it.

It has RF gain which is nice, but only a switchable hi/lo power switch (15 and 4 watts AM/FM carrier) I tried to turn the low power carrier down, but I can only get it to go down to 3 watts. My amps mostly are low drive, and seem happy with 2 watts carrier, but that's OK, I'll run the amp on low power to attenuate a little of that input. The meter seems reasonably accurate, and the radio has a built in SWR meter function, as well as an "antenna" warning light (which I didn't try to test.)

What can I say, for 20 bucks, it works well and looks good. We'll see how it holds up once I get it in my vehicle.

The resistor is a little surface mount job about the size of a fruitfly. It sits flush on the board. I just used an old, not particularly powerful soldering iron and touched it to the little bugger for a second or two and then just lifted it up off the board.

Can't help you with the frequency counter question, but someone here should be able to help with that.

Ben, it appears that deal was temporary. When I first discovered it was on the 28th of Sept (I think). I posted it the 29th and ordered one. At least one other member also ordered then as well. By the 5th it was still there. But then it dissapeared by the 7th and the price went up. I know of no other place its available for that anymore. It seems it was a temporary sale (although it was not labeled as such). It used to be at Amazon.com and it was $119.50 plus free super saver shipping and a link to the $100 rebate. They even had calculated out in thier sales page that its end cost would be $19.50 so I don't think it was a mistake. But it is no more. I know two of us hit it for one. But if there are any more that made the move before it was taken down they have not checked in to say.

However the Rebate offer does not end until Oct 15th. So you have to purchase one by then to qualify for that.

Well , that cobra 150 with rebate is still a good deal even if you end up paying 60.00 for it in the end , How long does a rebate take to get your money back ? The mark up on this stuff is usually fairly high by the time it gets to the little guy .....You know how much a decent power cord goes for if you were to walk into a shop and buy one ? Try right around 8 to 10.00 , you know how much they were to them ? Say about 75 cents to 1.50. !! Radio Shack sells a piece of junk power cord for about 7.00 !! How about a PL259 ? Rat shack 2 for 5.00 !! pluse another 2.99 for reducers !! so after tax your damned near looking at 10.00 for what you need !!! that's outragious !!! a 259'er and reducers are less then 60 cents for the two pieces !!! I'd have to say that Amps are the biggest mark ups of all ,(they remind me if drug pushers) first it totally helps to know the main connection , (builder) Let's say were talking about Blue Face boxes ,225s/250s (1446s/2290s) lets say you by a 1/2 dozen of each (the more you buy the better the price) big guy sells me 6 x 225s for 360.00 (60.00 per unit) and 6 x 2290s for 450.00 (75.00 per unit) .....now IM the second guy they go through , IM selling the 225s for 80.00 per and the 250s for 95.00 per .......IM really not making a lot here fella's ......about 250.00 dollars for my 800.00 in vest ment ....could be more , but I need to push the product. OK then .......third guy can really up the anti on these babies now )-: (Shops) and it justs depends , they tend to make more money then anybody else down the buying lines , look at it this way , they can get damned near a buck a watt for them !!! .......that's the way the cookie crumbles in this business........there are somethings that really don't make a lot of money for the sellers ...I mean they make a little but not much down the buying lines , antenna's come to mind........again ,shops tend to make the most , weather it's selling the product or fixing it ,tuning it ,alighning it , ect.ect.ect. and for what they do , I think they more then likely should they got over head like you wouldn't believe and they basically put there butts on the line for you and me. News at 11 :)

I had to buy a phone jack spliter at Radio Shack so I could plug two phone lines into the wall, that darn thing was $7.95 ! It was tiny and nothing to it.

You ain't kidding Park !!! Highway robbery !!! We have what is call the The 99 cent store only's out here in So.Cal ,they sell those things for 99 cents !!! doubles or triples !! I used to like Radio Shack many years ago , but they have since become outragious more so then ever on there prices and less product to sell on top of everything else !! They should call themselves Cell Phone Shack !!! I'd guess to say that they are about do for a chapter 11 .

I went to the rat shack for the first time in years yesterday. This store used to have three isles of electronic components. Now just one little cabinet with drawers. "How can I help you sir"? LOL....you can't.

Like you say....it's all about cell phones now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.