• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Best Mobile Antenna 10 - 40 Meters

Do you add the length whip that works for your particular installation and then see where the taps put you frequency wise or is there an optimum length? The whip they show with the complete kit looks like a stick antenna of some kind.

Do you add the length whip that works for your particular installation and then see where the taps put you frequency wise or is there an optimum length? The whip they show with the complete kit looks like a stick antenna of some kind.

Yes, they recommend a 102" whip, or a 10 meter hamstick. The fella I talked to said he had his tuned for 26.100 and that worked well with the tuning of the coils. He said he used a paint pen to mark which taps for which bands. I'm going to try both using an MFJ analyzer to see where the tap points need to be, record all the info, and go from there.

Brett

Great find, had no idea anyone else was selling that antenna. After seeing that video I'll have to get off my butt and get mine installed and going.

Reactions: 2RT307
I have not received the coil yet. Bought a much heavier duty 102" whip today. I think it came from Lescomm, but it sure is thicker and has a bigger corona ball than the Radio Shack one I already have.

Real curious about the little coil at the base of the coil/mount in the video... need to find out more.

Brett

I have seen some references to running an add on coil with a 102" whip, along with a tuner. I can't find much on the web about this, though. Where do you get the coil, and is it a worthwhile setup?

I need a little more detail on the details of this install, but I'm guessing that you're referring to some type of loading coil that was either home brewed or purchased. Hustler makes a line of enclosed load coils for various bands that can be swapped out fairly easily.

If you have the money, either the screwdriver type or the Hi-Q are the way to go. With one of those, you will be able to operate 80-6 meters. I just purchased a new Hi-Q 4/80 to replace my 10 year old, worn out version and will be posting some pics & comments soon.

The aforementioned hustler line isn't a bad option, either and you can always just use hamsticks to get started. The other option is to use the 102" whip with an auto tuner right at the base of the antenna, although I'm not terribly crazy about that setup.

Hope that helps.

for 80-15 I am running:

-Tarheel 200a (the 100a would be a better choice for 40-10m, would even work 80m)
-home brew mount
-Scorpion mast and 3 lobe cap hat

then for 10m I run a 102 whip

I works quite well... in fact I am normally told on 80m and 40m that it's hard to belive I am mobile, some people have even accused me of lying so I could get 'mobile priority' on the nets I work

I have received the coil and played with it a bit. So far I am unable to find a good sweet spot for SWR on 40 meters..the best I can do is about 2.5:1, but I'm still fiddling with it. Built an inductor coil and it was not right, so I have to try another. I'm out of town with work this week, but hopefully will have some time to work on it on Friday. I'll try to get some pics to post up, too.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Brett

The coil at the feedpoint of the antenna mount in the video is a shunt coil used for matching on 40 meters (and lower). You won't be able to achieve a good enough match on 40 meters and below without it. Another alternative is to use a switching capacitor box like the MFJ-909: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-909

If you dont' want to play trial-and-error making your own shunt coil, most mobile screwdriver antenna manufacturers sell them already made to the necessary inductance. For example, Tarheel Antennas sells them for only $5: http://www.tarheelantennas.com/inc/sdetail/515/524

Hi Moleculo, and Merry Christmas! Only a day late. :) I've been real busy this past week getting ready for Christmas, so I haven't had any time to mess around with the coil. Thanks for the tip on the pre made one! I'm supposed to use a 1" form and go 10 wraps around it for 40 meters. Hopefully will do that tomorrow and see how it looks on the analyzer. Here's a pic of the coil installed on my truck:

Brett

When I was really into mobile HF I tried some of the screwdriver antennas and were not satified with them. Since I had ran Hustler for years. They just did not perform like a single band antenna.
So one day I got a wild hair anddecided to build my own.
6 through 80 meters. It did a very decent job.
http://gokarters.com/smf/index.php?topic=1979.0

index.php

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.