• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 200

These radios perform Ok for most people. Whats holding them back is they were built inexpensively. But the plus sign to the figure they are using SMT so should be reliable.

Used a 200 for 2 weeks

OK I can give you my assessment of this radio. I borrowed a 200 from a buddy of mine for 2 weeks to make a decision as to weather or not I was going to buy one. (try it before you buy it thingy)

This is what I have found:
First of all, I thought that the radio seemed to be build very cheap. I did not like the knobs. They just felt like cheap thin plastic and they also seemed to "wobble" alot. I have a Cobra 148NW ST radio here and that radio seems to be built more sturdy when it came to the knobs.

It took me a while to figure out that you need to cycle through the channels twice to cover all of the frequencies on that band. It was a little confusing at first, but the "dot" indicator is what led me to investigate further and discover this.

The receive was not as good as it is on any of my other radios. This radio just didnt seem to have a very good receive strength.

The 200 also had a problem with static bursts. None of my other radios had the problem as bad as this radio did. It was picking up static and electrical interference from my electrical system. When it was experiencing this interference, I pretty much, just turned down the volume because it was almost a complete washout.

And lastly, I hated the sound quality of this radio. The quality of receive audio was terrible. I even hooked up an external talkback speaker to this radio and the sound quality was bad. Just real tinny and very high.

Needless to say, I returned the radio back to Mo' told him "thank you" and decided to go with the Uniden HR2510.

Hope this helped
-jim

its all good, I had to send my Cobra 200 back for warranty work. Finally after 3 times Cobra gave me a brand new one. I didnt even take it out of the box I just sold it on ebay and stayed far far away from a Cobra 200

Happy_Hamer said:
its all good, I had to send my Cobra 200 back for warranty work. Finally after 3 times Cobra gave me a brand new one. I didnt even take it out of the box I just sold it on ebay and stayed far far away from a Cobra 200

I like mine.. No problems. I guess it is who you get it from
and how it is set up.

I gave one to a friend..
seems to like it a lot..
has had no problems..

if were my money...
i would go with something more like a RCI-2970..

ofcourse if one can aford it then go with Icom,Kenwood or Yaesu
(myself i perfer Icom's ofcourse..lol)

Later

The vast majority of my 200 customers like their radios. The few who have had issues have mainly had them with the receive as was pointed out above. The radio, when tuned correctly, has amazing receive range. A number of my customers have come back and told me they can hear things that no-one else can. One of the trade-offs of the extra range is that it also is more sensitive to noise.

Shuts down on High Power

A friend of mine bought one of those, and it works fine on low power, the freq display does not match the in/out freq, and it will almost always shutdown if you put it on High power, Usually midway through a sentence. completet shutdown, ahve to turn it off and back on.
Does not matter if its on a Pwr supply or in a mobile on a battery.
even does it on the bench with a 40Amp supply into the dummyload.

I have recently checked it out for him, and it only drops out on SSB Hi Power. You get about 10 sec of xmit and it drops right off. I did notice that if you switch it back to low power and wait about 1 min, the RX and TX comes back, but goes away right away if you switch it back to High and transmit again.

I checked the final and driver bias and they are to spec.

Anyone seen this?

Roger

hi. i am having the same sort of problem with my 200. for some reason it seams to build up static. if i key the mike it seams to go away. problem or not?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.