• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CX3000 REALLY?!

I do fine with 5 watts on the digital modes, I'd try less but that's as low as my rig will go. I guess I could buy an attenuator.

SSB and all other forms of voice communication are antiquated modes that waste bandwidth. They should all be illegal.

Not sure if I jumped to the other side of the fence with that statement or built a new one. :confused:

That follows along the lines of texting instead of actually talking to someone. As a result we are losing the art of communicating and by that I don't just mean engaging in an exchange of information. Digital modes are fine if that is what you are into but they are so impersonal. Load in some macros and click a button. I like to play with them but definitely not for me.

Reactions: Sonar
I do fine with 5 watts on the digital modes, I'd try less but that's as low as my rig will go. I guess I could buy an attenuator.

SSB and all other forms of voice communication are antiquated modes that waste bandwidth. They should all be illegal.

Not sure if I jumped to the other side of the fence with that statement or built a new one. :confused:
What are you operating for digital modes? Thanks 73

That follows along the lines of texting instead of actually talking to someone. As a result we are losing the art of communicating and by that I don't just mean engaging in an exchange of information. Digital modes are fine if that is what you are into but they are so impersonal. Load in some macros and click a button. I like to play with them but definitely not for me.

I don't disagree with that but there are plenty of guys using voice that exchange calls, reports and done. Just as impersonal and less efficient.

I don't prefer digital modes but I've done it a few times. My post was more of a jab at the qrp guys that have such a negative attitude towards an amplifier.

What are you operating for digital modes? Thanks 73

Psk31. Radio is a yaesu 1200. The interface is the $10 easy digi kit from eBay. I forget the software but it's one of the more common ones.

Reactions: Sonar
More power does get you out further

Depends what is in the way and your antenna.

I have a hill in-between me and the next town 10 miles away. 400W isn't making the trip. Drive a mile down into town so the hill isn't in the way and 4W easily gets me there.

Likewise my friend in his truck was running 250W and couldn't make 5 miles because his antenna installation was crap. My friend and I both with good antenna installs managed 30 miles with 4W at each end just fine.

If it was all about power I wouldn't be getting in the top 20% of all entries in CQWW, CQWPX, IARU HF and ARRL International DX contests beating hundreds of stations running 1500W with my paltry 100W.

... "AND I JUST GOT DOWN!"

Dats Fo Duck Pluckin Sho
images

I never use any of those phrases. I do know most people, at least the ones I hear using the Mudd duck phrase usually end it with "AND I JUST GOT DOWN." I don't even know why they say it. I'm assuming it's a chicken bander way of saying I said what I had to say and I'm not saying anything else. I find. it amusing. In a ridiculous way.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.