• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CX3000 REALLY?!

When DX is smiling at you, 200watts carrier and yagi is all you need. Until your neighbor with 200watts and a yagi keys down after a few beers.
Short of that it allows you to talk when mother nature ain't dancing under your antenna.
Dollar per watt you can not beat a 3000, base or mobile.

What I like about the 3CX3000A7 tube is the 4000 watt plate dissipation but even better is the 225 watt grid dissipation. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to damage the grid when being driving by a typical 100 watt amateur transceiver. Other tubes like the 3CX800 have only 4 watts grid dissipation or the 3CX1200 which has only 50 watts grid dissipation which you have to be MUCH more careful with.

I saw that video you speak of and for tbe most part I agree with you. Basically they want it for bragging rights and because they want to talk AT people not WITH them. Now having said that there are others that want a 3CX3000A7 amplifier because it will loaf at full legal limit regardless of mode. Henry made the 5K and 8K models with that tube and it was a legal ham amp. There are several home brew 3CX3000A7 amps on the ham bands running pretty much legal limit .........yes that is true.......because in grounded grid service that tube is hard pressed to make 2Kw with 5000 volts on it when driven by a typical 100 watt transmitter.Increase drive to 300-400 watts and you will see an easy 5-6Kw from it. I myself am currently working on an all-band amp using exactly this tube......a 3CX3000A7.I have several freebies that were in broadcast service and are working pulls along with a pair of good sockets and several blowers. It would actually cost me more to go with a pair of 3-500Z's LOL. All I want is my Canadian legal limit of 2250 watts or a 750 watt carrier plus modulation on those long winter nights for 80m AM.
After reading my post again I could see why some people misunderstood what I was trying to get at. It's not the cx3000 that I was ragging on. The point you made about that tube being able to loaf at legal limit was something that I did not initially think about when writing that post. That's an excellent point. I'm I'm glad you saw the clip and I think you can understand what erked me so much. The person who had that amp built has no intention of loafing anywhere near legal limit and the clip show's why the amp was sent back. The purchaser wants that amplifier to push out as close to 7000 Watts as possible every every time he turns it on. The builder who built it will make as much or more money then the original cost of the amp with repairs. I could absolutely understand someone buying a Henry with a cx3000 in it or any amp built by a company with the reputation of Henry. I know their old but I'm fairly sure if refurbished correctly will give many happy years of performance. These YouTube builders are questionable at best. If you yourself Captain ever decide to build amps I'd have no problem having you build me a single 500z. I know that's not happening but nothing wrong to throw it out there. 73

How do you feel about Ameritron selling an amp with a poorly cooled single 3-500z and advertising it as a kw amp?

I expect that kind of thing out of a YouTube builder or old CB sweep tube amps. The al80b is a fine amplifier but I don't like the advertising.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.