• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does anybody have a machine shop?

rabbiporkchop

Jan 18, 2007
pennsylvania
I was thinking about having these heatsinks machined off and Polished flat so I could attach a genuine heatsink With more Surface area capable of dissipating more Heat.
The Machinist that did all my work passed away back in March so I'm looking for a new Machinist.
at-6666-heat-sink.jpg

anytone-at-6666-back.jpg

I was thinking about having these heatsinks machined off and Polished flat so I could attach a genuine heatsink With more Surface area capable of dissipating more Heat.
The Machinist that did all my work passed away back in March so I'm looking for a new Machinist.
at-6666-heat-sink.jpg

anytone-at-6666-back.jpg
I needed a machine shop myself at one point. I just Googled machine shop and added my zip code. I found several located so close to my qth without ever knowing they were there.. I found one 5 miles away that did the work I needed for a very fair price. Good luck. 73

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Use 2 fans!
The heat sink is a bad design and the only thing that would improve it would be a constant flow of nitrogen blasting onto the heatsink which is kind of cost-prohibitive. it would be a lot simpler to machine those heat absorbers off the back and put an actual heatsink on it with a couple fans

That heat "absorber" looks adequate, you ever see how small the heatsink is on the Galaxy 95 or the RCI 6300?

It's because they have fans! The heatsink pulls heat from the radio and the fan pulls heat from the heatsink so a small heatsink is all that is needed.

Are you driving your radio hard with a lot of deadkey trying to squeeze out every watt? All that does is build up excessive heat. Your radio shouldn't be getting that hot to begin with.

The heat sink is a bad design and the only thing that would improve it would be a constant flow of nitrogen blasting onto the heatsink which is kind of cost-prohibitive. it would be a lot simpler to machine those heat absorbers off the back and put an actual heatsink on it with a couple fans
Heatsinks - like that - have been used in 2m mobile radios for some time now w/o being an issue. If you are concerned about blowing up MOSFETs on a regular basis; then I'd suggest just not pushing them that hard. 50w from a dual final MOSFET is par for course and should not be exceeded, even if they are cheap to replace.

2m radios often have a fan installed with that kind of heat sink and final failures are almost non-existent.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're just running it too hard man. Hopefully you can find a qualified tech to get this resolved.
Fortunately I don't have any issues as long as I respect the duty cycle. If you happen to know of any good technicians that can replace the mosfets with a pair of mrf 477 finals for less than $100.00, I'd be curious who that technician might be since that would cut my heat in half and easily double or triple my gain.

That heat "absorber" looks adequate, you ever see how small the heatsink is on the Galaxy 95 or the RCI 6300?

It's because they have fans! The heatsink pulls heat from the radio and the fan pulls heat from the heatsink so a small heatsink is all that is needed.

Are you driving your radio hard with a lot of deadkey trying to squeeze out every watt? All that does is build up excessive heat. Your radio shouldn't be getting that hot to begin with.
It's not getting very hot at all considering I'm very conservative with how long I allow it to remain keyed.
If I wanted to ratchet jaw for hours at a time that's where the problem would present itself.
I'd love to be able to mount one of these on the back. Lots of thin fins with lots of surface area is much better than some big fat chunks of aluminum.
ninja-cu-fan-large.jpg

antazoneASC1000_nekked.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog
Heatsinks - like that - have been used in 2m mobile radios for some time now w/o being an issue. If you are concerned about blowing up MOSFETs on a regular basis; then I'd suggest just not pushing them that hard. 50w from a dual final MOSFET is par for course and should not be exceeded, even if they are cheap to replace.

2m radios often have a fan installed with that kind of heat sink and final failures are almost non-existent.

That heatsink looks pretty much like the one on my FT-857 but it also has a pair of small fans to remove heat from the inside of the radio. It is quite adequate for the 100 watts output.

I think you'd be surprised at how much some airflow would help.

Is this the radio you were saying would deadkey 20 watts not too long ago? Did Mark at fine tune cb set it up like that?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.