• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Does anybody have a machine shop?

It's not getting very hot at all considering I'm very conservative with how long I allow it to remain keyed.
If I wanted to ratchet jaw for hours at a time that's where the problem would present itself.
I'd love to be able to mount one of these on the back. Lots of thin fins with lots of surface area is much better than some big fat chunks of aluminum.
ninja-cu-fan-large.jpg

antazoneASC1000_nekked.jpg
Fascinating!

I think you'd be surprised at how much some airflow would help.

Is this the radio you were saying would deadkey 20 watts not too long ago? Did Mark at fine tune cb set it up like that?
Same radio. It definitely creates too much heat at that output level so he choked it back to 15 watts carrier. He thinks he can get 100 Watts out of it if it had a better heat sink and a different regulator. It works quite well for the specifications it was built for without any heating issues. If I could come up with a better heatsink for it though it would be interesting to see what is possible to get out of it. One of these days I'll find somebody with a mill-to-mill the fins off. Although not necessary, I'm extremely curious to see what the possibilities are.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeapFrog
Same radio. He thinks he can get 100 Watts out of it if it had a better heat sink and a different regulator. It works quite well for the specifications it was built for without any heating issues. If I could come up with a better heatsink for it though it would be interesting to see what is possible to get out of it. One of these days I'll find somebody with a mill-to-mill the fins off.

100 whiskeys out of that rig? Why not just use an external amp?

Any machine shop should be able to handle that for you though. Take the fins off with a band saw or whatever then mill it flat. Even a table top/bench belt sander would make quick work of it once the fins are mostly removed.

Reactions: LeapFrog
To take it to a machinist and have him set up a mill or a flycutter operation to hog the material flat - is also going to require that the back of the radio will have to removed along with all of the electronics from it as well. Then spot, drill, and tap holes for the external heat sink which - by the way - is not a real improvement over the original part. The machinist doesn't work for free and will charge for time. Net benefit? A much lighter pocketbook with little to no real thermal change.

Better to just install a fan in terms of time/cost/efficacy benefits - IMO . . .

Last edited:
He thinks he can get 100 Watts out
There is your problem!!!

Sorry to come down on you but after all your talk and support of Mark and how brilliant he is and all that talk of clean signal radios and milli-volts, scopes, patch cables, and everything else,

Mark is just like the rest of them. turning up wattage because he knows that's what makes the customers happy, She's swinging now on that watt meter!

Fact is and has always been and will always be: You have to quadruple your power to get a 1 full signal strength difference on the other end!

A 75 watt radio turned up to 100w is going to make not one bit of difference!

What it will do is create excessive heat due to increased voltage to the finals to boost the wattage and usually causes IMD.

A high deadkey does the same, it creates a lot of heat that serves no purpose except for the "keydown crowd". It's the same as turning the idle up on your car. It won't run faster but it will use more fuel and create more heat!

I've been saying for years after I learned better and it's what Dallas 543 says, If you need more power get an amp. LEAVE THE RADIO ALONE!

If anything, turn the AMC up because I have noticed most new radio's are cut way back if you desire stronger modulation.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
There is your problem!!!

Sorry to come down on you but after all your talk and support of Mark and how brilliant he is and all that talk of clean signal radios and milli-volts, scopes, patch cables, and everything else,

Mark is just like the rest of them. turning up wattage because he knows that's what makes the customers happy, She's swinging now on that watt meter!

Fact is and has always been and will always be: You have to quadruple your power to get a full signal strength difference on the other end!

A 75 watt radio turned up to 100w is going to make not one bit of difference!

What it will do is create excessive heat due to increased voltage to the finals to boost the wattage and usually causes IMD.

A high deadkey does the same, it creates a lot of heat that serves no purpose except for the "keydown crowd". It's the same as turning the idle up on your car. It won't run faster but it will use more fuel and create more heat!

I've been saying for years after I learned better and it's what Dallas 543 says, If you need more power get an amp. LEAVE THE RADIO ALONE!

If anything, turn the AMC up because I have noticed most new radio's are cut way back if you desire stronger modulation.
He is nothing like the rest of them. He pushed it as far as he could get it and reduced it by 25% before sending it to me. That sounds like someone who actually cares about his customers equipment lasting a long time. If he was like the rest of them he would have left it maxed out before sending it to me so that I could blow it up on my first day of using it.

100% a clean "factory" radio is the best signal to amplify, only problem is people don't recognize true A.M. and and how much carrier the setup should produce, everyone around me wants to run a carrier below that of "proper AM" and they always say "Let the amp swing". If I show them a proper signal amplified, and they see the watt meter 10/10 times I'm wrong and "the carrier should be lower".... or conversely .."it's not swinging enough".....

It's true most CB amps are class C, and would do better with FM, as intended.
Also true, they don't like a whole lot of carrier, most people lower the carrier, and this allows everything to run cooler, but they also let it "swing" and do not maintain 4:1...

I'm not talking about this fancy export radio (or what ever model it is) I'm saying on the common Cobra 29 AM only model mobile radios that people often times lower the carrier in, then they let it "super-modulate" instead of finding a way of preserving the integrity of the original signal; and letting everything run cooler..

25%? That sounds like he cranked it up as high as he could without causing a failure under normal use. You have to be more realistic about what your equipment is capable of. I guess he does that after he makes the video with the spec analyzer and the blurry bird slug?

Where you at chop? Skip is rolling on 28.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.