• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Electrical Question

Maybe I am wrong, but my concern would be is if the amp only draws 10 amps per say, and you have a 30 amp breaker, if a power issue should arise with amp will it trip the breaker?? Or amp I off base??

Maybe I am wrong, but my concern would be is if the amp only draws 10 amps per say, and you have a 30 amp breaker, if a power issue should arise with amp will it trip the breaker?? Or amp I off base??

Depends on exactly what the "power issue" is.

First, your amplifier needs in-line fuses to protect it. You can't rely on the circuit breaker out in the garage or wherever the breaker panel happens to be. If your amplifier requires ten amperes and the cable between the panel and the amplifier is large enough, a new 30-ampere breaker should be able to protect the cable. Notice I said "new" breaker. After it's been in use for a few years it SHOULD still be good, but ...

A "power issue" that would cause a 30 ampere breaker to trip should cause the amplifier's 10 ampere fuse(s) to blow first.

This as back in the late 70's most of that lock out tag out ect did not exist and if did was not practiced, nor a lot is prw tired at home were I did it at.

7dlostitop2g

Check post #5 I linked to below.
http://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/electrical-question.189807/#post-529165

No different then if you plugged a radio which draws 1 amp into a standard 15 amp outlet.

Just cannot exceed that 15 amps so need 15 more radios to exceed it lol, but i went brain dead on that one about the amp having the fuses to protect it just 30, 50, 60 amp breaker is way over kill but as said 1amp radio on a 15 amp service.

Side note, Capt K what part of Novia Scotia? Was Grandmother both place and still have in laws up their.

Last edited:
I do and it sp

I do and spell checker sucks lol, especially breaking in a new phone or computer and have to redo and relearn everything you do or say. Grr

I got a new phone a while ago and it works great as does my laptop. My laptop underlines the misspelled word and simply right-clicking on it will open spelling options to choose from. Click on the right one and your done. My phone has word recommendation which is not the same as auto-correct. It is also set in "learn mode" so the words it suggests are what I would normally use. Often I can enter whole sentences simply by touching suggested words rather than spell them out. My phone is nothing special either, just a Samsung Galaxy S5.As for thinking they suck, well YOU know what you are trying to say but the rest of us are left wondering WTF and THAT really sucks to the point of wanting to simply ignore your posts.

Meant as going from old one to a new one cannot transfer a lot over and has to be relearned on it. Had phone and computer pretty set till both went down. So upgraded to a lot better phone and computer now lol.

Meant as going from old one to a new one cannot transfer a lot over and has to be relearned on it. Had phone and computer pretty set till both went down. So upgraded to a lot better phone and computer now lol.

I did the exact same thing with an upgraded phone in April of this year and a new laptop a couple years ago. I even added a new tablet the first of the year. It learns too.

Before laying this to rest, in most amps can set the taps to whatever voltage. My meter outside says 240 volts, I take it that's MAX voltage, in the Ameritron manual says highest line-v so should set it to 240v or to 250v just incase I ever move and it has 250v?

image.jpg

The main consideration is to select the tap that results in the proper filament voltage and not worry about what the plate voltage is. This why I like separate filament and plate transformers. If you ever move some place where the line voltage is different change the taps to reflect that difference.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.