• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fine Tune CB shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Yes but can you duplicate his results, on social media that is?
Honestly, I believe HardDrive a.k.a. Mark S. is a damn-good technician (one of the best), I would venture to say in fact: most people who service CB/Export radios like him do not have their test equipment calibrated as often as Mark @ Fine Tune CB Shop, his test bench is a notch above most on YouTube.

And yes his ego is a little big, sometimes I think it's more about presence & presentation of excellence with him. And that's the kind of work he provides in my opinion, just by looking at his YouTube channel.

Over & Out.
-LeapFrog

he would be the last guy i would send my radio to. i saw his videos. not impressed at all.

Thank you
No problem brother, you can always look online and learn about how things work.
This helps if you ever want to fix certain problems on your own, and that's not to say I don't reach out and ask when I don't have a clue about something I will tell you straight out.
73 :)

-Leap

he would be the last guy i would send my radio to. i saw his videos. not impressed at all.
Hi Jon 666,

I think he does use his test equipment to woo & dazzle people who don't know what the heck a spectrum analyzer is, at the same token he is actually cleaning up the radios signal.

BUT It's sensationalized; which most all media is these days is, he is using facts most of the time which is rare to see in this hobby (or anywhere), so that's what I like, unfortunately most of his videos are just too short and feel like advertisements to me.

He won't just show you big numbers on a watt meter though, too many shops these days do just that, while being sensational (which by it's self is fine) they mainly show whack meter readings to lure people in

I think he could change a few things but all in all he is still anti-butcher shop, & would do great work for anyone, at a price i'm sure.

But the question becomes if you are going to a shop what do you want, is the person in question smart enough to know what they really need & not just what they want?

Bling & snake oil or are they keen enough to see BS when the shop is hiding things and just trying to dazzle them, I don't think Mark is only trying to dazzle people, he is doing a good job for these people at the same time while "showing off", I can see that but sometimes you see a Tune-Up report on YouTube by someone else and just go wth
I watched a video were....
this person who clearly got sh*t wrong while describing something and how it works inside theradio went on to show his "PEAK n' TUNE" which consisted of telling people to "turn the bias pots and watch the watt meter while they turn it left and right" as they keyed down!

LMAO I was thinkng WTH man?? I hope nobody followed that guys advice.

Mark is opposite of that guy IMO. He just doesn't spend his time as a mentor from what I can see, more of a "show-n-tell" type videos, and social posts i'm sure (I don't follow people online, unless it's YouTube or GooglePlus)

I have never spent any money with Mark, I don't own a radio tuned by him and I only here him on my mud duck station, and watch his content on YouTube, so I don't personally know him and have never seen his work with my own eyes to judge, but what I've seen so far looks like great work and much ego.
-LeapFrog

He finally contacted me by Facebook, then by phone. After chatting some more through Facebook Messenger, I had a few more questions for him and here is his response. I asked what exactly could I expect from a Stryker 447HPC tune and aligned by him and he responded with "You will only waste my time once .."

Now when I click on his Facebook page I get this "Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

Oh well no great loss I suppose, as his ego seemed a bit over inflated for my taste...:ROFLMAO:

He finally contacted me by Facebook, then by phone. After chatting some more through Facebook Messenger, I had a few more questions for him and here is his response. I asked what exactly could I expect from a Stryker 447HPC tune and aligned by him and he responded with "You will only waste my time once .."

Now when I click on his Facebook page I get this "Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

Oh well no great loss I suppose, as his ego seemed a bit over inflated for my taste...:ROFLMAO:

its not his work . that is not the reason i would not send him my radio. its his attitude.
and his inflated ego. he is probably a great tech i don't know. but his ego is the reason.
i would stay far away.

Lmao we all know time is money, but I think he lost money on this one... Any responsible business owner knows when to draw the line, and this wasn't it imo.

Each to his own though, who am I to tell any man how to conduct his business.

Back on the side, reading the mail -Leap

slightly off topic ...reading leaps quoted post made me giggle

=[Bill Eitner]=- said:
Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00
The thing that's easily forgotten is the fact that the final in the 148 runs in Class AB-1, while the final in the 29 runs in Class C--that's why you can get some extra power out of the 29 when you use a 1969 as it's final rather than the 2166 which works as a driver in the AB-1 biased radios and as a final in the Class C biased radios.

show me the grid in a transistor and i will give up my job as a "tech" and grow spuds

slightly off topic ...reading leaps quoted post made me giggle

=[Bill Eitner]=- said:
Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00
The thing that's easily forgotten is the fact that the final in the 148 runs in Class AB-1, while the final in the 29 runs in Class C--that's why you can get some extra power out of the 29 when you use a 1969 as it's final rather than the 2166 which works as a driver in the AB-1 biased radios and as a final in the Class C biased radios.

show me the grid in a transistor and i will give up my job as a "tech" and grow spuds
Yeti, my man! We have some conversation now, the "grid" in a transistor hmm...?
Interesting question, perhaps BIll means class B or AB I don't know what he meant (that's why i'm bringing this topic up, along with the fact that I get to learn)

I think that a jfet can act as a triode (A term generally reserved for valves) see this link.

I'm not going to sit here and lie to you, I found that post from an "ancient" forum that I was not a member of.
I have an interest in making an (inefficient) low level modulated Cobra rig, at the cost of the SSB performance, and current draw. I want a clean AM station, truly linear.

So don't grow spuds just yet, I put that quote in my signature to spark conversation not spout "street facts yo". :cool:
I learned through trial and error that a 2SC2166 or 2SC1969 can be used as a final in Cobra 29 radios, also by chance I bought a 142GTL that had a 2SC2078 (Cobra 29 final of course) installed in place of a 2166 and it was acting as a driver in the 142 kind of a neat trick for more gain. Having never biased a radio other than a mosfet Cobra29, I wanted to learn more about the drivr/finl swap mod and that's all I've found so far.

I am learning still, and I present the quote ( that I didn't say) Not as a Fact, only a Tool to Spark conversation that I can learn from, the internet and youtube has ruined my generation, we no longer read books anymore. Not the majority anyways..

It's only that I do not practice this much (read books/study theory/apply it) , and no matter how strongly I feel about something; If I don't use it, how much has it really helped me then?

Anyway to me it's all about getting the radio to reproduce my voice as close as possible And as cheap as possible, in a clean signal that will be able to be recovered and played back by something like say an SDR.
Trying to replicate the tonality & intonation that gets lost with stock cb radio & produce a
true hi-fi quality / fidelity signal.

-Leap

Last edited:
Well, well I commented on one of Fine Tunes Videos on his FB page and for the second time this week, had another FB account of mine blocked by him. LMAO !! Guess asking him any questions is off limits. LoL Anyways he can kiss my arse, and i'll spend my money elsewhere:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: PA629
Why? IS his video supposed to impress you or entertain you or market his existence? I have never seen an add for Icom, Kenwood, Standard that impressed me but I know they make good products. If I bought car's based on commercials I would be walking everywhere.

I have not paid the man to work on one of my radios so I will not belittle the man or discredit his work based on his youtube video's. In fact based on youtube video's I should give up living, give up on God, believe I can cure diabetes by eating one pickled egg a day and bring down the NWO by voting for Trump.

Maybe something a bit more based on empirical data like paying the man to work on a radio than disusing his lack of results or poor electronic engineering practices etc....

Some of you guys sound like those keydown idiots "Billy Bob's amps are the best because I own it one and he said so!" Billy Bob's youtube video shows that his amps make more power on a Bird43 so his amps are the best!!! LOL

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.