• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How about a "DX-DAY" for forum members

Mother Nature cut my day short. I hooked up with Chris 808 Delaware, and we QSY'd to 405USB. Nice 30 minute QSO. Conditions started fading in and out about 20 minutes in, but 100% copy.
Heard Flatlandbusa WDX117 Nebraska John calling CQ-wdx, and we also QSY'd to 405USB. Nice strong 20 minute QSO. Then I heard the thunder in the distance, and shut down. 15 minutes later the thunderstorm rolled in, and I was done for the day. Gonna try again tomorrow. Both Chris and John have great sounding rigs.

- 399 J.J.

the way i see it, when any of us turns on 38LSB and it's going crazy the next step should be to go to 40USB and make a CQ call.
LC
LC -
On my end 38LSB is a zoo ...always. Today I called CQ-WDX on 38L, and if no one cut through the pile I then tried calling on 40U. Did this off and on between 11 and noon (my time, EST). Never got a single comeback until I heard FLATBUSA calling on 38L. I will stay on 40USB tomorrow and try calling some more. I wish my 139XLR had a headphone jack. Then I could hear through the pileup better. My TRC457 has a phone jack, and I will switch to it tomorrow. Hope I have better luck.

- 399 J.J.

Last edited:
LC -
On my end 38LSB is a zoo ...always. Today I called CQ-WDX on 38L, and if no one cut through the pile I then tried calling on 40U. Did this off and on between 11 and noon (my time, EST). Never got a single comeback until I heard FLATBUSA calling on 38L. I will stay on 40USB tomorrow and try calling some more. I wish my 139XLR had a headphone jack. Then I could hear through the pileup better. My TRC457 has a phone jack, and I will switch to it tomorrow. Hope I have better luck.

- 399 J.J.
I'll keep it on 40USB here tomorrow. 38 was a hot mess today. Most of my contacts were on 37, 39, 40 LSB
I heard your qso with John. You were sounding great. I couldn't hear him.

73 - Rodney

I'll keep it on 40USB here tomorrow. 38 was a hot mess today. Most of my contacts were on 37, 39, 40 LSB
I heard your qso with John. You were sounding great. I couldn't hear him.

73 - Rodney
38L is always a mess, especially on weekends. I plan on using 40U exclusively tomorrow. Thunderstorm forecast again for tomorrow mid-day so we'll see how it goes.
- 399 J. J.

I'll be on the radio after church and lunch, probably around 1pm and it sounds like 40 USB is what we are using this weekend,I'm wondering going forward if we as a group should start using 40 USB instead of 16 LSB since it might be quieter so to speak to make contacts within the WDX group, thoughts on this......????? I concur also with Unit 399 that 38 LSB on the weekends can be a little Crazy at times, and oh by the way the Propagation outlook for today concerning 10 and 11 meter's is only Fair!! Hope to make Contact with you guys on 40 USB later today if conditions permit, have a great day all of you!!

73's

No dice for me today up here in Central Pennsylvania in making contacts with fellow WWDX members,the conditions just weren't there for me....... maybe next weekend!!!!

73's
Same for me. I made a few contacts in Canada and I even heard JJ on 38LSB but I just can't ever seem to make the trip to Columbia. I used every bit of power I had, with no luck. Just gotta wait for the right conditions.
Yes Sir, Steve. Maybe next weekend!!

I'm wondering going forward if we as a group should start using 40 USB instead of 16 LSB since it might be quieter so to speak to make contacts within the WDX group, thoughts on this......????? I concur also with Unit 399 that 38 LSB on the weekends can be a little Crazy at times,
I think you're right, it's much quieter and easier on my ears. And quieter should equate to more contacts/qso's.
I understand and respect the reasoning behind 16LSB, to let the guys run their 23 channel radios. It's the perfect place for that.

Yes, the weekends are always going to be a bit messy, so it would make sense to find a channel that's not so busy. IMO ;)

Last edited:
I think you're right, it's much quieter and easier on my ears. And quieter should equate to more contacts/qso's.
I understand and respect the reasoning behind 16LSB, to let the guys run their 23 channel radios. It the perfect place for that.

Yes, the weekends are always going to be a bit messy, so it would make sense to find a channel that's not so busy. IMO ;)
Another option for a quieter frequency is 27.195 USB, most export radios can get there in VFO mode. I'll run pretty much anywhere while mobile, but while on the base I keep it within the CB and Amateur bands.

No dice for me today up here in Central Pennsylvania in making contacts with fellow WWDX members,the conditions just weren't there for me....... maybe next weekend!!!!

73's
Same here in N/E PA. Had the house base station tuned to 40 U and the Garage Base to 40 U and only heard a faint signal from the house Cobra 2000. I'll keep trying thru the week.

I made QSO’s today on 37 and 38 but went to 40USB and nothing. Next time.

So we aren’t doing 16LSB anymore??? I called there a few times as well.
Good question! I have an old 23 channel SSB radio on 16lsb (almost 24/7). Usually I get some traffic from across the border (get a lot of that living in the lower end of Texas), but I would love to make some english speaking contacts on 16 one of these days. Many times I fall victim to the "XYL Propagation Factor" (when there's skip coming in the wife usually finds that list of things for me to do around the house --- or worse ---errands to run ;)

No dice for me today up here in Central Pennsylvania in making contacts with fellow WWDX members,the conditions just weren't there for me....... maybe next weekend
Yesterdaay was a washout (literally) as we had thunderstorms off and on most of the day .
American Eagle 575, heard you on 38 lower today. I tried calling you several times, but if you came back I couldn't hear you for all of the inconsiderate stations from Florida piling on and calling CQ for me.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.