• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HOW DOES A KNOCK AT THE DOOR GO DOWN?

A cable system is supposef to be a closed system. No interference into or out of it. Any legal signal getting into a cable system is the fault of the cable company. Been down that road with a 2m setup swamping a couple channels.

Probably why they were being nice and not coming at me like ogres...but i am a easy going type and worked with them......but if they come to me every time they have a "CB in the TV" call...that will get old.....there are a lot of good old boys on fishin poles and running amps 24/7 in this area.....don't single me out becuz i put my money into my antenna.

I'm family as most of us are that a jugde must sign a warrant in order for the man to enter your home without your permission. I have read posts of people who have gotten fined for using illegal equipment. I've also read visits by the man to the users of this equipment but how or can this man see this equipment unless it's in clear view from outside your home? Can or will a judge issue a search warrant because someone complained or dropped a dime? Does the man have some kind of special right to enter your home on the merits of a complaint or hunch that someone maybe useing unauthorized equipment?

Attachments

• oh-no___-not-this-shit-again.jpg
    oh-no___-not-this-shit-again.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 18
I do understand what your saying but are you referring to them having the right to check out the station of a licensed ham operator? Since cber's don't require a license and call singh and aren't registered is it enough for the man to assume because there's an 11 meter antenna outside your home there's equipment inside? What if your antennas not visible or is located indoors /attic? Do thay sit outside your home and hope you transmittt at that particular moment? I assure everyone reading this I have no problems with interferance and in the five months I've been operating not a signal nabour has complained about interferance of any kind. I was accually a bit worried at first but after five months am sure no one close enough to me that can possibly be affected, is. My curiosity stems from knowing the hard evidence the NYC law enforcement agencies have to have in order to get a search warrant to enter your home/apartment. Fbi, cia home land security etc. etc. Cannot enter your dwelling without a warrant unless a crime is being committed and a few other sircomstances other wise any evidence collected can not be admissible. Thay obviously have a lot more power than other government agencies. If other agency's had that type of power we might be a bit safer. On the other hand we'd be a lot less free.
Yup. You are required by law to allow your station to be inspected upon request. If you refuse you are charged with refusing an inspection. Most people end up with that charge and associated fine because they try and be the BIG MAN by sticking it the feds and telling them to go pound sand. A short time later they find that the "the man" has a little more clout than they thought.
Yup. You are required by law to allow your station to be inspected upon request. If you refuse you are charged with refusing an inspection. Most people end up with that charge and associated fine because they try and be the BIG MAN by sticking it the feds and telling them to go pound sand. A short time later they find that the "the man" has a little more clout than they thought.

I do understand what your saying but are you referring to them having the right to check out the station of a licensed ham operator?

Nope not referring to a ham radio operator at all. This applies to ALL users of radio equipment.

Since cber's don't require a license and call singh and aren't registered is it enough for the man to assume because there's an 11 meter antenna outside your home there's equipment inside?

CBers do in fact have to be licensed in a way. It is called license by rule. If you follow the rules then you are deemed to be licensed. You just do not have to have a piece of paper in your hand with the word "LICENSE" on it.

What if your antennas not visible or is located indoors /attic? Do thay sit outside your home and hope you transmittt at that particular moment?

First they need a complaint to act on and that complaint would most likely contain your name and address if the complainant knows it. If you are on the air they can and will find your antenna.

I assure everyone reading this I have no problems with interferance and in the five months I've been operating not a signal nabour has complained about interferance of any kind. I was accually a bit worried at first but after five months am sure no one close enough to me that can possibly be affected, is. My curiosity stems from knowing the hard evidence the NYC law enforcement agencies have to have in order to get a search warrant to enter your home/apartment. Fbi, cia home land security etc. etc. Cannot enter your dwelling without a warrant unless a crime is being committed and a few other sircomstances other wise any evidence collected can not be admissible. Thay obviously have a lot more power than other government agencies. If other agency's had that type of power we might be a bit safer. On the other hand we'd be a lot less free.

If you are not causing interference then why are you so paranoid about "the man" as you keep referring too knocking on your door? The bottom line is if the FCC knocks for whatever reason and asks to see your station you are legally bound to allow them to see it. No warrant required. No proof of a crime having been committed either. A federal radio inspector (if they are still called that) is allowed to INSPECT any radio installation at any reasonable time of the day.

Reactions: midnight special
Forgive me for coming off as paranoid. Believe me I'm probably the least paranoid peson on earth. My qureosety stems from my interest in the rights of myself and all citizens and non citizens of our great country. I just couldn't fathem or atlest mentally regester the fact that any us law enforcement agencies could enter your home without your permission or a warrent. Everything I thought I knew about any government or local law agencies entering someone's home without a warrant has been torn down by this fact. I like all learn something new every day. Thanks.
Nope not referring to a ham radio operator at all. This applies to ALL users of radio equipment.

CBers do in fact have to be licensed in a way. It is called license by rule. If you follow the rules then you are deemed to be licensed. You just do not have to have a piece of paper in your hand with the word "LICENSE" on it.

First they need a complaint to act on and that complaint would most likely contain your name and address if the complainant knows it. If you are on the air they can and will find your antenna.

If you are not causing interference then why are you so paranoid about "the man" as you keep referring too knocking on your door? The bottom line is if the FCC knocks for whatever reason and asks to see your station you are legally bound to allow them to see it. No warrant required. No proof of a crime having been committed either. A federal radio inspector (if they are still called that) is allowed to INSPECT any radio installation at any reasonable time of the day.

Just say no. Everything else after that will happen as it will. Be it radio or other, you only have recourse after the fact regardless of the entity in question.

Better yet, don't get in a situation where you have to say no.

Forgive me for coming off as paranoid. Believe me I'm probably the least paranoid peson on earth. My qureosety stems from my interest in the rights of myself and all citizens and non citizens of our great country. I just couldn't fathem or atlest mentally regester the fact that any us law enforcement agencies could enter your home without your permission or a warrent. Everything I thought I knew about any government or local law agencies entering someone's home without a warrant has been torn down by this fact. I like all learn something new every day. Thanks.

By operating your radio equipment you have already in effect granted permission for them to inspect your station at any reasonable time. CB'ers have to get over this idea that since they do not have a piece of paper in their hand with callsign printed on it that they do not have to allow their station to be inspected unless the field agents have a search warrant. That is simply not the case. Rule of law applies in this case and if you read the regulations regarding CB operations it is spelled out.

Reactions: BJ radionut
Hypothetically, this assumes that they are correct in presuming that the alleged operator has a transmitter. That itself could be presumptuous.

(1) What if someone is still living in the 1970's - a true nostalgia buff who has a good ole CB antenna up for decorative purposes? He plays his cassette of "Convoy" all day long...over and over.

(2) What if an alleged operator uses an antenna to receive only? He is hooked up exclusively to a short wave or "Space Patrol" receiver only.

(3) What if you are using a nice, 1970s 100 milliwatt 2 or 3 channel walkie talkie that you've rigged to your A99? It used to be that these 100 milliwatt units did not require a license, so I would think these would be exempt from the inspection requirement.

It seems to me that neither of the above three examples would trigger the F.C.C.'s authority to inspect. In those cases, wouldn't they would have to demonstrate probable cause and obtain a warrant?

There must be some ALJ rulings on situations where operators tried to assert that a warrant was needed. They would certainly help explain how this process works.

rick330man number 1 is a violation of the rules playing music over the air on 11 meters,,,number 2 they can tell if you are transmiting from that antenna,, number 3 was a violation because the kiddy talkies were not supposed to be altered in any way meaning the antenna on the kiddy talkie was the only antenna for it,,,has there been a mention at all on this thread about part 95 rules??

http://www.qsl.net/wb5rue/part95plainenglish.html

i still have my out dated rule book which was manditory when i had my license,,, but now becuase of the internet the fcc says because of easily found on line they consider you have a chance to look thru the rules,,,,

the web address is in plain english not the fcc wording but it is easier to understand......

The above may be true referring to Rick330man in the hypothetical sense.

More than likely, only a radio operator who has caused numerous complaints about interference or flagrant and numerous illegal radio transmissions on licensed bands (and not just on amateur bands either ) will get a knock on the door one day.

It's not likely FCC field agents go cruising thru neighborhoods looking to find a house with an antenna on a whim. Random inspections are for licensed stations and all licensee's know we are subject to this..

You would be surprised to see how many idiots think they can get away with pirate AM/FM stations. You can check the FCC NOV history webpage from the last 8 years or so and see nearly every month someone is caught running a pirate radio station.

See for yourself with the link and click on individual names which are mostly the pirate radio operators caught.

http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2014.html

rick330man number 1 is a violation of the rules playing music over the air on 11 meters,,,number 2 they can tell if you are transmiting from that antenna,, number 3 was a violation because the kiddy talkies were not supposed to be altered in any way meaning the antenna on the kiddy talkie was the only antenna for it,,,has there been a mention at all on this thread about part 95 rules??

http://www.qsl.net/wb5rue/part95plainenglish.html

i still have my out dated rule book which was manditory when i had my license,,, but now becuase of the internet the fcc says because of easily found on line they consider you have a chance to look thru the rules,,,,

the web address is in plain english not the fcc wording but it is easier to understand......

My #1 example was not about playing music on the air. That is definitely a no-no. The "Convoy" reference was to exaggerate the image of 70s nostalgia. Our hypothetical CB nostalgia buff could just as easily have been listening to Badfinger, Three Dog Night or the Raspberries.

My #2 is meant to suggest that you probably need to be transmitting for the F.C.C. to invoke that consent by virtue of radio operation/license by rule. If you're not transmitting, the point made about needing a warrant of some type seems reasonable. Of course, you're probably not bothering anybody if you're not transmitting.

My #3 is based on friends I had growing up fitted coax connectors to their little 100 milliwatt walkie talkies for fun. Both of these guys were also hams. They were of the opinion that the antenna modification was fine so long as they did not tweak the units.

I have copy of part 95. It from something like 1977.

Four string burn (sounds like a bass player) hit the nail on the head. Run a clean station and I doubt you'll ever be bothered. Your chances are better of getting hit by lightning, and I can attest to both matters. I've always run straight, barefoot bases. My Radio Shack .64 ground plane got hit by lightning, but I never got a visit from "Uncle Charlie."

Some of you guys really need to just read the regulations and accept the fact that no warrent is required to inspect a radio station and that the FCC has better things to do than drive around looking for CB antennas so that they can drop by for an inspection. Inspections do NOT happen just on a whim.

I hope you weren't referring to and misinterpreted what I posted about inspections on a "whim", I said that already.

Maybe instead of saying "not likely" I should have been more definitive and left those words out and said" FCC field agents won't"

It's not likely FCC field agents go cruising thru neighborhoods looking to find a house with an antenna on a whim. Random inspections are for licensed stations and all licensee's know we are subject to this.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.