• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Is the RCI 2970N4 suitable for driving an amp?

I have a new 2970N4 (built in 4 pill) and was considering trying to use it to drive a 12-pill in the mobile. I would like to use the radio as a nice driver, putting out an easy 250 watts PEP.

Has anyone ever used this radio, or one like it to drive a bigger amp? Any downfalls to doing so?
I have changed out the factory blacked out transistors (DEI's) over to Toshiba 2SC2879 transistors in a RCI-2970N4..... Max output power increased about 75 watts or so. Max output PEP is about 480 watts or so and will dead key on AM at about 325 watts. Minimum power dead key on AM is around 40 watts.
So, I would say that you could drive the amp with this radio. I would recommend turning down the radio power output to about 25% to 50%. This will help keep the heat down in the radio.

So what was your guys hi and low dead key before any modifications stock? I notice Ranch55 stating after transistor upgrade hes deadkeying 325W, was your dead key before 250W?

I ask, since you both own one and my out of the box 2940N4 was deadkeying 250W AM on full power.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.