• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Liquid cooled antenna...Any good?

racetra

Jul 7, 2011
I am lookin at some new radios (Last one (Galaxy 99) burned up in a big rig fire) and will probably end up with a Magnum S9. I still have an antenna I can use and will buy another one if it is any good. I do not know the brand but it has a solid post about 6.5" long and then a glass See through resevoir with a coil filled with oil in to a 2.75" stem which holds the 3'. Any one know what brand this might be? Are they any good? If so, I will buy another one for the other side. Or am I better off with something else...ie: Firestick, Monkeymade, Wilson, etc??

I have been draggin this thing around for at least 15-16 years and have never used it. There is no markings on it at all.

Thanks for the help

they suck imho. i run a wilson 5000 and really like it also thinking about buying a k40 bcmax so time soon and for $50-60 i think it is a heck of a deal.

FWIU the oil will leak out sooner or later and of course get all over the vehicle .
even if it doesn't it's still a bad design , the oil that is supposed to cool the coil doesn't because it isn't circulated to cool it . at least a open coil (10K type) could radiate heat into the air .

Reactions: 1 person
works for me!!

How about the wilson 2000 trucker. $49 delivered. They say 3500 watts capable. I will be using 2 of them and will have no more than 500 watts. I dont think I need to spend upwards of $200 right now. (I gotta buy another radio still)

The "Oil filed" antenna's were originally built by a company called Van Ordt in the early 80's... More of a "gimmick" antenna than anything targeted at the Trucker market...They claimed it had a dB gain of ”4.5 and better signal to noise than other antennas...

The Open Coiled design antenna's on the market now are much better than the Oil Can antenna's.

You can still buy the Oil can antenna's, Copper Electronics still sells a "Copy" of the Van Ordt antenna made by a company called "Truck Spec"...

Another option on a liquid-cooled antenna would be the Wilson 5000...Every one I have owned fills up with water after a few rain showers!:headbang

It was Van Ordt antenna company that had the ‘Audio King’ that was released around 1980 that had oil filled loads
That is some old school antenna there, but I do remember when they were popular years ago, you would see them on Big Rigs mounted on West Coast mirrors.
The ones you see now are made by Truck Spec or someone like that.
There is also a EU company using the Name "Moonraker" ( no not the same one that used to be here in the us) that sells the same antenna under the Audio-King Name.
Moonraker Mobile CB Antennas - Moonraker UK Limited

jeff

I think I will get those. Its all going on my new Peterbilt (y)

Heres a question, is there any advantage to pointing your antennas forward? I see that a lot on trucks and have wondered why they do it.

Heres a question, is there any advantage to pointing your antennas forward? I see that a lot on trucks and have wondered why they do it.

to me it looks stupid, i never ran mine like that on my 379 or my 387. i am taking it you plan on getting the k40 antennas?

if you do please post you results with them.

to me it looks stupid, i never ran mine like that on my 379 or my 387. i am taking it you plan on getting the k40 antennas?

if you do please post you results with them.

I have to agree with ya. it looks pretty schtoop. I think I will give them a try. For $50-55 ea. it seems a good deal. I read some reviews and they were pretty good. Now I just need to decide on a radio.

Some do that because they think it looks cool...Called "Bull Horn" Mounting...

Originally, guys did that because of clearance issues so the whip wasn't hitting things where they were delivering or like on Rock haulers the antenna wouldn't hit the bucket or loaders.

If anything it would hinder the antenna's performance...If you don't have to do it, I wouldn't recommend it.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.