• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Liquid cooled antenna...Any good?

Some do that because they think it looks cool...Called "Bull Horn" Mounting...

Originally, guys did that because of clearance issues so the whip wasn't hitting things where they were delivering or like on Rock haulers the antenna wouldn't hit the bucket or loaders.

If anything it would hinder the antenna's performance...If you don't have to do it, I wouldn't recommend it.

Actually, I think it looks lame and I personally wouldnt do it. If a loader hits my antennas he should look for another job!!

The "Oil filed" antenna's were originally built by a company called Van Ordt in the early 80's... More of a "gimmick" antenna than anything targeted at the Trucker market...They claimed it had a dB gain of ”4.5 and better signal to noise than other antennas...

The Open Coiled design antenna's on the market now are much better than the Oil Can antenna's.

You can still buy the Oil can antenna's, Copper Electronics still sells a "Copy" of the Van Ordt antenna made by a company called "Truck Spec"...

Another option on a liquid-cooled antenna would be the Wilson 5000...Every one I have owned fills up with water after a few rain showers!:headbang

That is probably true, but that is also why the base needs a drain hole in the bottom, to let the water out. Pretty simple concept that works well and it's much better than trying to keep the water out.

water cooled? oil cooled? hat happens when the water and oil heat up, there is no heat exchanger so after the oil or water absorb all the heat they can absorb they it would become a blanket holding most of not all the heat in

Reactions: 1 person
Being painfully honest about it, just how many times have you ever been in a situation where cooling the loading coil would have even a -slight- benefit? I don't think I've ever seen a loading coil get even slightly warm much less require cooling. I have seen loading coils destroyed but it certainly wasn't from their melting!
I've seen the tank coil in an amplifier 'sag' from heat. But that sagging wasn't caused by current through the coil. It was caused by inadequate cooling of the amplifier's tubes becaused they were being 'pushed'.
If a coil of any kind ever melts it's because it was being used in a situation where it was totally not designed properly by some one inadequately informed.
Those oil filled coil antennas were a product of advertising and sales departments.
- 'Doc

Being painfully honest about it, just how many times have you ever been in a situation where cooling the loading coil would have even a -slight- benefit? I don't think I've ever seen a loading coil get even slightly warm much less require cooling. I have seen loading coils destroyed but it certainly wasn't from their melting!
I've seen the tank coil in an amplifier 'sag' from heat. But that sagging wasn't caused by current through the coil. It was caused by inadequate cooling of the amplifier's tubes becaused they were being 'pushed'.
If a coil of any kind ever melts it's because it was being used in a situation where it was totally not designed properly by some one inadequately informed.
Those oil filled coil antennas were a product of advertising and sales departments.
- 'Doc

Ever took a cheap fiberglass antenna, and hit it with a 8 pill? Coil section not only gets hot and melts the plastic cover...but will actually catch the thing on fire!(y)

Don't really think oil or water would have made much of a difference cooling it either...If anything..."OIL" would probably made it worse!

- 'Doc

Oh yeah? Well I know this guy that has a buddy that knows a fellow who's cousin has a radio and amp set-up that is so powerful, it will melt the coil completely off of a P10K if he keeps it keyed up for more than 3 minutes at a time!

;);)

Oh yeah? Well I know this guy that has a buddy that knows a fellow who's cousin has a radio and amp set-up that is so powerful, it will melt the coil completely off of a P10K if he keeps it keyed up for more than 3 minutes at a time!

;);)

See....Just shows how things get all twisted around on the Internet...

It took me almost 5 minutes....:pop:

"If a coil of any kind ever melts it's because it was being used in a situation where it was totally not designed properly by some one inadequately informed."

Sounds a lot like what you described JJD and pro151...
- 'Doc

You never seen a coil get even warm to the touch?

I will gladly pay you a Hundred dollar bill, "IF" you can keep your bare hand on my antenna's coil for just one minute, while I Key up my 16 pill...Heck...30 seconds.

all those pills and still no sign of a cure for those audio gain predators you love so much. i find it very ironic the predators are made in cowtown due to all the bullshit spouted about them.

(Psssst, y’all think the above is a “thread” with “posts”, but it’s a transcription of REAL truck drivers seated at the truckstop diner counter!!)

(My turn),

“Didj y’all know ya can’t run a liquid-cooled amp without liquid-cooled antennas?!

Electrical Resistance has to balance out at both ends as power increases.

THEREFORE, the cooling medium MUST be the same AND must show the same Btu absorption-rate.

The formula H = 500 x Q x DT

H = Total Heat Removed
Q = Convective Cooling Medium Exchange Rate
DT = True Temp Differential

Had an expert from New Mexico prove this. Guy runs the guard shack at the back gate to the Epstein Ranch. Alien underground base entrance, so he knows his stuff. Hired because he’d been a Special Forces truck driver.

Get it wrong and the amp sees a huge restriction and you can’t get out. Might blow the amp you really crap on it. So you have to monitor temps at BOTH ends to bring the power up in steps in order to stomp them mudducks.”

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut: