• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Loud Radio Wanted, What do I need?

cbshack said:
The Midland 290 is ok but the receive is not so good. If you live or drive in a very busy area you will not be happy. I would invest in a 257 or a preowned Uniden pc-122 or cobra 146.
I travel the interstates every day and that's a ripe situation for Rx problems from truckers running amps and tweaked radios. My 79-290 will experience image/spurious issues if the offending transmitter is nearby ... and rightly so. But travel down the road a mere 1/3 - 1/2 mile and receive is normal. I have a few loud mouth bases near me that wreck havoc on the band, and just for curiosity sake, I connected the 79-290 to the base antenna during their transmissions. Channel splatter was less on it than it was on a Uniden Washington & Radio Shack base units, and about equal to my Courier Centurion 40D base that has the Channel Guard filter in it!!

257 ? ....That has got to be the worse operating radio I've used and or seen in 20 years !! and totally sucks on SSB !! I often wonder if it aint the blind leading the blind from time to time ? S9 !!! ? just another high dollar piece of crap !!! You got 1000 dollars to spend ? .....I think you need to do your homework here , like I said early ,you plan on do'in off road ? , you need a radio that can take that kind of behaviour !! but hey ......you can always cough of the money ,I would think for 1000.00 dollars you could buy a ""real radio"" and not one that has been mentioned so far. Talk to Frank at FG-Best Communacation ......I think he would be pretty honest with you and point you in the right direction for the money you have to spend ......257 !! I can't believe what IM hearing here !! S9 /S3/ S6 .....I guess next I'll be hearing he 93 or 95Ts ? .......what a waste !! yeah ..I know .opinions are like a$$holes ......we all have one.
How about a Kenwood TS50S? You can pick them up used for under $500 and if you are patient you can get them for under $400 (I got mine for $320 used). No waste of money there and a "real radio" to boot!

Ray at Galaxy is the lead tech at Galaxy electronics in California. Recently he told me that a few years ago Bill Goode send him a Galaxy 99 I believe that he had done his receive enhancements to. Ray compared it to a new 99 put them both on a signal generator and found out what I stated earlier. The noise floor was better on Mr. Goode's radio, the sensitivity was better but the adjacent channel rejection was worse. Call Ray at Galaxy if you don't believe me.

As far as my radio it was a brand new Uniden Grant Lt. The switch was poorly mounted and the wires were poorly soldered. I had to send it back once. They did not include a roadmap which I have been asking for for months. They scratched the top of the radio. They mounted a switch when I told them not to in my letter to them without asking first because how the radio was to be mounted. I have left several messages for Frank which he has never called back. They disabled the DSC and said it had to be done for the receiver enhancements but never asked me if they could do this, etc. The radio's adjacent channel rejection is not as good as a stock Grant Lt which I have compared it to. They need to do something else to make their receiver enhancement worthwhile in my book.

I believe that the person in this thread wanted a compact Am/SSB CB or 10 meter rig. I have owned a Magnum 257 recently and thought it was a good radio. The Midland 290 is ok but if you travel the highways probably not because of the poor adjacent channel rejection. The Uniden 122 is a good radio. Maybe a Cobra 146 GTL might fit the bill. I assume one can be found preowned on e bay or yahoo. Maybe one of the older Radio Shack (Uniden Chasis) radios might work.

I would also suggest a Kenwood ts-50 or an Icom 706mkIIg but I did not know if the person had that much room in their vehicle.

As far as techs reengineering radios that is a tough one. I like Bob F. even though he was heavily involved in the new Magnum series with Sam Lewis at RF Limited. I guess those radios are ok but again they are Galaxy clones with a speach compressor and a few other features. Maybe we need Lou Franklin to start working on radios again. How about Dave at DTB radio. What about Freecell on this forum? There has got to be other good techs out there. Maybe Stan Wells and his group? What about the people at CB City in Texas? I think Leon recently passed away and his son is running the shop now.

cbshack said:
The Midland 290 is ok but if you travel the highways probably not because of the poor adjacent channel rejection.
Not badgering you here, but I'm beginning to wonder if you had a misaligned or problem radio from the get go? I can't complain about a stock mobile radio, whose adjacent channel rejection rivaled a good base outfitted with the Channel Guard Filter.

I don't believe either of my Grant LTs were misaligned. On a signal generator cranked up to full bore the receiver enhanced grant LT was still receiving a signal 5 or 6 channels up and 5 channels down. The stock radio about 3 or 4 channels in either direction and a third grant LT with a channel guard with a channel guard only 2 channels in either direction. The third Grant rivals my icom 706mkIIG as far as that goes if one can believe that. Again the sensitivity on the receiver enhanced grant LT was better and the noise floor was better so at least that is a good starting point. I was using protocal set up by Bob F. on his cbradioinformer website.

I am patiently waiting for the Stryker Radios to come out that Northstar and Justin are involved in to see if Justin was able to help engineer a radio with better adjacent channel rejection stock, lower noise floor, and better sensitivity.

c

I agree with much of what CbShack states. He is right on the money about some of the problems he has encountered... 'Nuff said.

LoneWolf TN

Hat's off to those that really care about how this works and how that works ,adjastent this and adjasent that, sensativity and what not . This guy does this and that guy does that . It figures that the Internet would simply allow more good ole bashing (which is truly nothing new in this business over some 3 decades for me anyway) You could truly be one of the best radio men alive (or dead) and still be bashed one way or the other ? I would bet to say that 3/4 or more of all radio operators wouldn't even know what all that technickle stuff even meant ? ....Like the way I spelled that ? .....You sound like some very serious stuff here cb shack , I've had just about all the radios you have mentioned in this thread ,they all worked good enough for me ,over the years I've, loved going from one to the other, and yes ,some would honestly seem better then others, IM a run of the mill cb radio operator ,more so AM'er then anything else , damned near any high dollar radio I ever owned basically wasn't for me , most would work great on SSB but they would usually not satisfy me on the AM sides of things ,and nowadays I really don't even care much for any of these newer radios .....i truly understand what it is for a guy or gal to love the ones there with (radios that is) don't let it be me to rain or there parades , right now I run a 1989 Cobra 25 LTD C .....it was a virgin when I got it , did a little hack tune of my own and threw it in the car with a little out board motor on the side , the noise blankers are good enough to knock out my little rice burnners engine noise and what not ,as long as I can here the guy 40 miles away IM a happy camper , this is the way the radio came from the factory ....weather or not it is perfect science and done the way some "tech" seems that it could or how he or she thinks how much better they could make it ,is besides the point....believe it or not ,these radios really do work right out of there factory sealed boxes !!! Amazing huh !! and I would bet to say that there are millions of people out there in this world that run them exactly like the way they came.....I suppose with all these on lookers , a simple little question like ...what would be a good little compact AM/SSB for my jeep could turn into a pissing match and or bashing match or a damned ad campain for some radio tech or shop ? Unlike 1 Stops Forum ......I didn't realize that this Forum was also a tool for business for somebody else ? If this is the case ? I didn't know what I didn't know and I will surely keep that in mind for any following posts after this one......like 1 Stop ,I was but a guest in somebody else's crib and I need not to forget that because I have learned ,ones opinion can get them an eviction . I hope the guy figured out what kind of radio to get for his jeep by now . Peace

Switch Kit,

What your saying is exactly like the old timers here. This forum is not a tool in anyway for a busisness or any business just to get more business. I know some posts can hint that way but it is not meant to be that way.

I try to help people the best I can. I am constantly learning. If you want to really see some hack jobs on radios go to DTB Radio or Fire Communications and look at the blacklist.

I have used cb radios for 30 years. I have been more into the technical side of the hobby for about 14 years.

I recently aligned a Cobra 29 out of the box and the radio was keying 3 watts and the audio was around 60% on a scope. The radio sounded very low. This does not happen all the time of course but the radio companies manufacture to certain tolerances and if they are met than they are happy. I certainly would not run this radio stock out of the box because I have the technical knowledge to make it better. I was using a Coaxial Dynamics meter with a dummy load. This meter is similar to a Bird 43.

I am really looking forward to the Stryker Radios. Justin and Northstar really might have something here. I hope they come out with a SSB version with similar bells and whistles.

Remember, that for arguements sake, that if all radios are equal, that the antenna becomes the most important part of the cb radio system.

I hear ya loud and clear there CBS....yeap !! Not all radios are created equal and some are better then others ,I've had some down right dogs in my time. No expert here ! just a operator who would like to do the best he can with whatever I have at the time ,blacklists never did do much for me )-: because 9 times out of 10 ,somebodies got something negitive to say about somebody else in this business, excetra excetra. IM not sure who runs DTB ? but I think the guy goes by CB-Tech on another site and he has taken the time (numorus times) to explain and help me out with problems that other wise I would had to have paid money to somebody else to fix the problems.
Getting help around these parts is surely a plus for many.IM only guessing that there are a few well to do (knowledgeable) radio people around these parts ,and it has always been appreciated by me everytime they have taken the time to help or at least try and answer mine and others technical questions (even when they were somewhat hard for me to understand from time to time) in the same way ,there are others that don't feel the need to answer the questions and it would be more profitable to "them" to have you come on down or ship the radios to "them" ....I hear it and see it all the time. Business is business and I can understand that. I try and share what has been freely given to me over the years with others when I can ,but unlike others ,I very rarely get paid for it. So I suppose there is a slight differance there with someone who does ? ....oh yeah ..No antenna ,No get out )-: I suppose 90% of all operations would have to do with that ? but then again , I've talked to many folks over the years that may not have had the best of ariels at the time ,but they still got out fairly well all the same , I suppose it could have been because they had decent radios at the time and a out board motor to help them along there ways ? but without either or , I truly doubt one would be doing to much talking other then to themselves )-: Peace

cbshack said:
I don't believe either of my Grant LTs were misaligned. On a signal generator cranked up to full bore the receiver enhanced grant LT was still receiving a signal 5 or 6 channels up and 5 channels down. The stock radio about 3 or 4 channels in either direction and a third grant LT with a channel guard with a channel guard only 2 channels in either direction. The third Grant rivals my icom 706mkIIG as far as that goes if one can believe that. Again the sensitivity on the receiver enhanced grant LT was better and the noise floor was better so at least that is a good starting point. I was using protocal set up by Bob F. on his cbradioinformer website.
Is that a reply to my post just above yours? If it is, I'm speaking of the Midland radio not the Grant! Or I'm missing something here. :?:

loud radio wanted , what do i need

i have acobra 25 ltd newer model that has taken a lickin and kept on tickin. it has been in several pieces of heavy equiptment . it's been bounced , jercked , jarred , slammed , banged , and beat the ever living dog snot out of it and it still works great . once in a while i take it apart and blow the dirt out of it , but it still works as good as new . a regular peek and tune with talkback and echo is all it has . :D

loud radio wanted

hi folks,if you still need a radio flying J truck stops has texas ranger tr696 fd1 for $99 after rebate.there not in the cb case,in box's stacked in front of fuel desk.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.