• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Loud Radio Wanted, What do I need?

loud radio

if you have a space problem an dwant a really loud radio with sideband try the midland 79-290 . it hold up to bumps really well has memory channells 10 wx band fine coars clarier channel mod is doen witr only pressin 2button at the same time while turning the radio on. they go for around 150 dollars and are reallly worth it they also have a detachable face plate so if u have the top off the jeep u can just pop the face off and notworry about it walkin away

I'm new to the forum and after many years of being without a CB, I'm ready to get back into it. I've been following some of the threads about which radio to get, and I like the idea of ssb AND wx stuff. I notice though that the midland mentioned above, the 79-290, isn't available in a lot of stores. Is this a decent radio and can it be tuned and peaked and all that good stuff?

Well heck since I am ole TJ owner I may as well throw my 2 cents in.

Moleculo someone stole your antenna mount idea!!!

As for the radio, if trail riding is your thing I mounted the 2950DX on the dash on top in the middle, it fits. Me I would go with the low profile Magnum 257, its a small radio and packs a fair punch (25-30 watts) which is recommended if your on a trail with a bunch of other people.

The midland 79-290 is a nice rig with weather channels and about the same price as the Magnum 257 just less power. Do you really need weather channel? that only YOU can answer.

IF it were me, I would go with the Magnum 257 with blue display that would look kewl if your Rubicon is the blue version 8)

sk8man said:
I'm new to the forum and after many years of being without a CB, I'm ready to get back into it. I've been following some of the threads about which radio to get, and I like the idea of ssb AND wx stuff. I notice though that the midland mentioned above, the 79-290, isn't available in a lot of stores. Is this a decent radio and can it be tuned and peaked and all that good stuff?

I actually found the Midland radio on Sears online, KEWL! 8)

loud radio

thes radios can be p&t i hear the doing 30watts am ilike the easy chanelle conversion , The memory chanells and the band &memory chanell sc option i have a d-104m6b and a davemade 2pil black box and its a screamer i like the wx becuase i work on the ocean so i check the sea report everyday, I thought it would be good with a jeep bease of the detachable face too he wouldnt hav eto worry aboutit being stole with the top off

they go for $150 p&t included plus shippling at r&r communications www.rrcom.com

79-290

what dont u like about it i have heard they have some rx problem but i havnet really experecne any i think this radio would do better if it ha dthe 5kz steps but far a space goes this radio is goo dfo rwhet you get in a little packadge iran one out of the house for a week before i put in my wifes car i go tlots of good report with a d-104m6b mic all over the us and wester europe and into s africa but it coul dhav ebeen the conditions, In the car works good dont get me wrong it not a connex or rci or galaxy not by far but for what u pay for it and it being a midland it not bad at all i think but that only my opinion :D

The Midland 79-290 is a decent CB Radio. RX is not the best but overall they perform well for what they are.

Whats your price range?? Id go with the S-9 or S-6 for an awsome radio without an internal kicker. My second choice would be a Mag 257. High Miler...Your RCI 6900 is alot closer to the 4800 than an S-9. In fact it IS a 4800 with a built in amp. You are right about the 95T and 6900FTB not being the same as the S-9. Both of them have a built in amp...the S-9 does not. You are comparing apples to oranges. Im not trying to get in a pissing match here but you asked in your other thread what places we recommend. I posted my opinion and you jumped all over it about the prices and even jumped me in a PM about them. Compare your regular prices(not sale) to the place I recommended. Yours are higher. Larry will do tuneups and conversions on them also. He does not offer the peak on the S-9 because they are suppsed to come from the factory with a peak and tune. Thats just an easy $30 for most retailers. Sell a tuneup for a radio that is already tuned??? Sounds like fraud to me. He will do an alignment and conversion though. I just prefer Justin to do mine. A Justin tuned radio is as good as it gets. Right now for a stock, dual final radio, the S-9 is among, if not,the best radio available.
Buck

I don't really have a price range. I just want loud clear audio in a barefoot radio. I looked at a Galaxy 77 and listened to it a while from a local shop here, it sounded quite good but am continuing to look.

hey there...

depends i suppose,whether you want just a kicking "CB"
or the loudest radio you can get...

Personally i would say get a Cobra 148 if you simply want a CB
or get a Icom 706MKIIG if you want the Loudest Clearest radio

both can be further enhanced via amps-linears..
i have spoken all over U.S.A. on the 148 and all over the World on the 706MKIIG...

either way...get a good power mike....as well as a good antenna
for me whether i am at home as a Base or in car going Mobile it's all the same....i GET OUT...lol..

Later

Of all the people that responded here (some really good advice, too), only Happy_Hamer and I have owned or do own Jeep TJ's. I currently use one as a daily driver (when I'm not riding the motorcycle). Most of the radios that have been recommended will NOT fit on the dash of the jeep. I personally have run a couple different radios in the heep.

The Magnum 257 fits nicely and is a pretty "loud" radio on AM. On SSB, it can be nice and clean, as long as you couple it with a noise cancelling mic like an Astatic Road Devil. I have talked on 10 meters with it and other guys have asked me if I was using a Kenwood. Keep in mind that the jeep is a noisy vehicle. The problem with the 257 is that the IF stage of the radio is just way to wide open. The RX picks up everything not related to RF. Jeeps are very susceptible to ignition, alternartor, and fuel pump noise, and you hear it all through a 257.

The Midland 79-290 is the radio I currently run. The RX is not near as wide open as the 257, and thus it doesn't pick up all the trash. The stock mic is garbage. The radio still picks up some ignition noise (I've tried everything to filter it out), but overall the RX isn't bad. With a decent tune up from Justin, I get 30 watts out of the radio. Personally, I don't think it's all that bad of a radio for what it is. The best part about it is that it's a dual final radio, so when you smack your antenna while off-roading, it's unlikely you'll pop a final in the radio.

Lastly, I do quite a fair amount of off-roading in my jeep in the mountains and desert. I have a similar mount as yours that I fabb'ed that is real strong. If you use your jeep as a daily driver, I suggest two antennas: a bigger one for the road, and a short one for off road. The short one is for trail communication and so it doesn't smack everything. BTW, there is room for an amplifier. I can show you how to fit one very neat and nice :)

BTW, something to consider if you're a serious off-roader: Get your general ham license and get a good ham rig like an Icom 706. If you ever get stranded or twist off an axle, you'll be glad you have the ability to communicate around to all the repeaters on hill-tops and on the HF bands to other stations around the country. Just something to think about.

My Jeep:
'99 TJ Sahara w/ dana 44 rear end
33" BFG MT's with 15x8 American Racing wheels
4.5" Rubicon Express Superflex lift with Adjustable upper and lower control arms.
Rubicon Front and Rear adjustable Track Bars
JKS Front Sway Bar disconnects
Currie Enterprises Slip Yoke Eliminator
Currie Enterprises Rear Drive Shaft
TeraLow 4:1 Transfer Case Conversion
Superior Axle & Gear 30 spline front Dana 30 axle conversion
Superior Axle & Gear Chromoly Super Dana 30 front axle
Superior Axle & Gear 4:10 front and rear gears
ARB Air lockers front and rear
QuickAir2 Air compressor w/ Sun Enterprises 2 gallon Air tank
Skid Row engine skid plate
Jeeperman rear bumper, spare tire carrier and jerry can holder
Kilby Enterprises Gas Tank skid
All J Products Boulder Bars
Ramsey 8000 ProPlus winch
Hi-Lift Jack
Midland 79-290 CB
Custom 2x2879 linear amplifier
Firestik II 4' CB antenna with custom antenna mount
Icom 706 MKIIg transceiver
Comet 2/440 mobile antenna on custom antenna mount
Hi-Q 4/80RT 6m-80m antenna
Lots of recovery gear (I hate getting stuck!!)
Lots of sweat and blood setting this whole thing up!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.