• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Loud Radio Wanted, What do I need?

jeep20back18nm.jpg

vhfuhfmount1if.jpg

79-290

ihave been running mine fro not to long i paid 150 dollars for it you would have to add shipping of coars it not a far drive for me

loud radio

Is the mag 257 dual final??? i lookin in to that o rthe midland i went with the midland becase we drive to philly alot so the detachable face ia good antitheft, and i like the wx becuase i work on the water and i fish and surf i like to check the weather band for any changes in ocean wave hights and change in weather the are both good radios H&y sellthe mag257 for $189+ tax &shippin an dthey wont even peak and tune it or channel conversion sothat why i went with the midland plus if i everhave a problem with R&R comunications is not a far drive from me so i can take it back to them :D

Alot of good info on this thread good to see we can help someone answer their radio questions :D

Yres the Mag 257 is a dual final radio. The conversion is so simple you can do it yourself. As for the tune up if you buy it from The QuackShack you can get the tune up and conversion done there. Personally?? Id buy the radio and send it to Justin at Communications Experts and let him do his magic. That 257 will scream. I believe the 257 is a MUCH better radio than the Midland

I don't know that there's a whole lot you can do to a 257 for a "tune up". The VR's to adjust amc, alc are pretty obvious in the radio. There's the common diode/resistor mod, if that's your thing, but I'm not sure how many other mods can be done with this radio? Maybe someone knows?????

8) I personaly have ran 29's with the 50w tune and have had very good luck with them.I also have a midland 79-285a am Rig and can say that midland radios tuned right are audio monsters with great Rx I really like the midland line good luck and 73's

257 ? ....That has got to be the worse operating radio I've used and or seen in 20 years !! and totally sucks on SSB !! I often wonder if it aint the blind leading the blind from time to time ? S9 !!! ? just another high dollar piece of crap !!! You got 1000 dollars to spend ? .....I think you need to do your homework here , like I said early ,you plan on do'in off road ? , you need a radio that can take that kind of behaviour !! but hey ......you can always cough of the money ,I would think for 1000.00 dollars you could buy a ""real radio"" and not one that has been mentioned so far. Talk to Frank at FG-Best Communacation ......I think he would be pretty honest with you and point you in the right direction for the money you have to spend ......257 !! I can't believe what IM hearing here !! S9 /S3/ S6 .....I guess next I'll be hearing he 93 or 95Ts ? .......what a waste !! yeah ..I know .opinions are like a$$holes ......we all have one.

loud rado

What would u recomend Switch Kit? Alot o fdecent radios were said in this thread. Iknow if i had a $1000 to spenad i wouldnt buy a icom, yaesu, or kenwood ,if the jeep wa sgona be used for off roading .tom much money sittin thier to be worrie about gettin wet, roll overs and such. one radio that wasnt said was the galaxy dx 979 i guy in my area just got one it is a screamin little radio

my bad if I misunderstood you on having a 1000 dollars to spend )-: I recomended a few radios to you in a previous post on this thread .Just because I don't personally care for some of the radios mentioned here doesn't mean they don't work. You said you were limited for space and that you would like both AM/SSB ,if you will be doing off roading and sturring up the dirt and what not ? I would guess to say you would be looking for a reliable type Timex radio that can take a lick'in and keep on tick'in (-:

How about a Cobra 25???Lots of mods that can be done,really cheap radio been around for years,takes a licking and keeps on ticking.If who ever you have work on it knows what there doing then it can be a very lound and clear radio.Its small and can fit just about anywhere and even after mods to the radio you should still have to spend no more than $150.00 maybe less.Depends on how high the person is that works on your radios.Most people that are looking for a free radio will not give a cobra 25 a second look unlike a big export radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.