• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MAGNUM 257 HP Review

Now I can clearly see that those that hate these radios do so out of blind ignorance. Must be something wrong with their diet; need more fiber!

It all to obvious that you should consider borrowing one of these radios for a few days and figure out for yourself that these claims are true. Otherwise, your reputation, expertise, and clout are in serious jeopardy. In fact, they have suffered serious damage already. Just as fallible as the next person so it seems - not really that surprising...

Reminds me when I used to hear that 'Japanese cars are all crap' - from the so-called 'experts'. The cars looked so strange on the outside and just smelled funny on the inside. In the long run, how wrong were those experts that never owned or drove one for awhile were. Turned out that I bought a Honda, after being a pro mechanic for almost two decades of American cars. Perhaps it will just take some time for others to see for themselves and judge accordingly.

I am not an 'expert'; and never claimed to be one. I am just an end user and I tell it as I see it. These radios have the most stable SSB performance that I've ever seen in any brand of radio. Truth is, there are enough people that have and use them daily that have echoed my words about this radio's stability before I said so. If the deemed 'experts' and the jokers don't know and cannot lower themselves to try one - or simply can't tell the difference - rather than blindly condemn them altogether/out of hand; then they are simply blowing an abundance of hot wind out of their arses. It is just that obvious at this point.

Dude, both Bob85 and Jazz know what they are talking about---you are the hack here, not them.

There really isn't that much wrong with your "end-user" reviews, except when you start regurgitating the ridiculous crap that Sam Lewis has pumped into your spongy, incurious brain. "CPU controlled VCO is like a pit-bull, no drift whatsoever". SERIOUSLY? "AM, FM and. SSB are CPU controlled on this radio , so the increased dynamic range means 600 percent modulation isn't distorted, but loud and clear" , you come off as a total goob.

Then you go on to defend the radio in question so slavishly that the thread is nothing but a Magnum fanboy circle jerk with your weird passive-aggressive I'm-a-moderator-so-don't-get-out-of-line-or-else attitude.

Get a REAL JOB!!!!!

Dude, both Bob85 and Jazz know what they are talking about---you are the hack here, not them.

There really isn't that much wrong with your "end-user" reviews, except when you start regurgitating the ridiculous crap that Sam Lewis has pumped into your spongy, incurious brain. "CPU controlled VCO is like a pit-bull, no drift whatsoever". SERIOUSLY? "AM, FM and. SSB are CPU controlled on this radio , so the increased dynamic range means 600 percent modulation isn't distorted, but loud and clear" , you come off as a total goob.

Then you go on to defend the radio in question so slavishly that the thread is nothing but a Magnum fanboy circle jerk with your weird passive-aggressive I'm-a-moderator-so-don't-get-out-of-line-or-else attitude.

Get a REAL JOB!!!!!

quit sugar coating things highlander ........
tell us how you really feel LOL .

Get a REAL JOB!!!!!

It is obvious to me that you can't tell the difference with a lot of things. Difference is - I can let it go.
The truth is - they missed it.
Live with it...:love:

ok time to drop in here.i use magums on a daily basis. i dont get them for
free .if i did id have MORE than two. second id compared them against
a 2510,emperior5010,2600. these are some of the best ssb exports around
and the magnum did just as good.not really any better but just as good
and thats saying alot.now i believe ya guys when ya say ya gotta bad
one .that happens sometimes and instead of calling stuff a piece of
crap id contact sam and tell him your problem.ive also know that
when thier mistuned they are terrible at best but then what radio isnt
sorry guys but im with robb

Reactions: 1 person
robb,
borrow one lmfao, i repair radios including the sets in packrats sig, 930's with bias faults, ts50's with pll faults and alc faults, 706's with bandpass switching faults, 703's with blown driver fets, 857's with bad soldering, 817's with blown finals, ft1000 mk5 with blown midband preamplifier, i could go on but id be wasting ink,
i don't talk about radios i have no experience with,
the only people that think i am anywhere close to been an expert are the amateurs and cbers whos radios i have repaired or helped them repair their own over the air or on paltalk so no damage done to my reputation here,

you have no clue about stability because you don't have the equipment to measure frequency / see drift or the radio ears to determine whats going on with a radio's transmitted audio,
P1000461.jpg

i don't hate magnums nor do i like working on them, the delta force has the best fm tx audio of any cb ever made, better fm audio than many hf sets but thats their only saving grace,

regardless of your end user no idea how this things work opinion they are low quality compared to the older unidens and turn up more frequently for repair, i am not blindly denigrating them, you are not blind either you simply don't know what you are looking at,
you are far from alone in spreading cb nonesense,

a used 9 digit counter with frequency standard plus a cheap digital camera would have been a lot more usefull than any expensive camera to a guy reviewing radios and talking about frequency stability,

i like ricers, they come second only to german made cars,
vorsprung durch technic.

robb,
borrow one lmfao, i repair radios including the sets in packrats sig, 930's with bias faults, ts50's with pll faults and alc faults, 706's with bandpass switching faults, 703's with blown driver fets, 857's with bad soldering, 817's with blown finals, ft1000 mk5 with blown midband preamplifier, i could go on but id be wasting ink,
i don't talk about radios i have no experience with,
the only people that think i am anywhere close to been an expert are the amateurs and cbers whos radios i have repaired or helped them repair their own over the air or on paltalk so no damage done to my reputation here,

you have no clue about stability because you don't have the equipment to measure frequency / see drift or the radio ears to determine whats going on with a radio's transmitted audio,
P1000461.jpg

i don't hate magnums nor do i like working on them, the delta force has the best fm tx audio of any cb ever made, better fm audio than many hf sets but thats their only saving grace,

regardless of your end user no idea how this things work opinion they are low quality compared to the older unidens and turn up more frequently for repair, i am not blindly denigrating them, you are not blind either you simply don't know what you are looking at,
you are far from alone in spreading cb nonesense,

a used 9 digit counter with frequency standard plus a cheap digital camera would have been a lot more usefull than any expensive camera to a guy reviewing radios and talking about frequency stability,

i like ricers, they come second only to german made cars,
vorsprung durch technic.

Truth is, these radios don't move once they are set in whatever position you put them. All day long - from the moment they are turned on - no change that can be observed by the human ear. I mean; you might be able to show me on a meter that has six places that it is doing it - but you cannot hear it at all. Certainly - compared to a lot of other radios!

I really appreciate the difference when I change from a 257 to another radio that can't do the same. It is quite noticeable, and I often flip back to using the 257 or S45 because a drifting radio on SSB drives me CRAZY. The SSB on these Magnums are that decent. I can understand why people can pick and choose any radio to their likings and preconceived notions, but I must have a radio that doesn't drift.

I don't use AM hardly at all these days. SSB is pretty much it. If people don't give these radios their due - that is their mistake. But to dismiss them out of hand - is nothing more than perpetuating a lie. You said I was making CB radio worse? What about these clowns that claim these radios are that bad? Taking CB radio a bit lower you say? I must say - I see the opposite truth is here, and what I have done is pointed that out. Fair is fair...

i don't recall saying you make cb radio worse but if you wound me up i may have,
you lower the technical standard of the forum, its ok for members to talk bs but staff should try to get their shit straight before posting,
other staffers do not talk the same kind of 1w swinging 80 topgun distorter board garbage that you do, if they did then people that know better would argue with them like they do with you,

its impossible for any radio let alone a cheap cb to not move frequency as it cycles temperature, even 10 grand yaesu's have a warmup period then cycle up and down a little once the tcxo is up to speed,
6 digits are useless, i use 9 digits,
your human ears are clearly not like my human ears, i can hear a lot less than 50hz discrepancy on ssb and i have never seen any cb that stable, they all move with temperature some more than others.

Bob I can hear a 10 hz off freq on ssb but then I have to accept it along with all the others off much further and that's why I choose to stay off the regular 40 channels and far below 10 meters for the simple fact that most people who operate in that range typically use an hf rig and are nearly all on freq. so I like you I don't hate the set channel exports neither do I wish to share the regular 40 with them.

Here's what I challenge Robb and or his suppliers to do and it's to send me the radio after Robb or who ever else has reviewed it and let me do a write up on it and I in turn will pass the radio on to someone else and if this goes to say 10 people and the majority of the writes ups are good or bad then the company will have it's survey of a broad range of end users and at the same time users will also and these idiotic threads would vanish I imagine of hope.

Send me the radio and so on and so on and so on.

Here's what I challenge Robb and or his suppliers to do and it's to send me the radio after Robb or who ever else has reviewed it and let me do a write up on it and I in turn will pass the radio on to someone else and if this goes to say 10 people and the majority of the writes ups are good or bad then the company will have it's survey of a broad range of end users and at the same time users will also and these idiotic threads would vanish I imagine of hope.

Send me the radio and so on and so on and so on.

thats a excellent idea !!!!!

robb has said "I really don't give half a horses hump for getting 'free radios'." so he shouldnt mind sending equipment he doesnt care about to other folks to review . i know some of you guys have scopes and stuff and can really show the technical aspects of the equipment rather than just giving your opinions . hopefully the agreement robb signed with magnum doesnt prevent him from allowing others to do reviews on their equipment that take out personal opinion and allows the equipment to be judged technically with equipment that can document what its capable of .

Guess what?
We have a 257 clone that:
steps in 5khz steps
goes from 24.5 to 29.999 in one continuous band
all mode
50w from IRF mosfets
Independent RIT/XIT clarifiers (+/- 600hz)
Incorporates an switcheable additional filter in the IF (Similar to channel guard)
steps on up or down in 1, 10 or 100khz or 1mhz
Has the programmable split
Has a fan

its out there!

Now this is something that would interest me plenty! (y)

mechanic

You should have read what I wrote before I toned it down a few notches!
HA!
(y)

I really don't give half a horses hump for getting 'free radios'. But I do care about making a call it as I see it. These experts just bore me to tears - especially needing a boot in the right spot from time to time.

Hmmm,Sure.

Having read many of your posts I can't help wondering why your reviewing radios at all,its pretty obvious you ain't the most technically gifted person to judge any radios performance characteristics,but then maybe thats exactly what Sam Lewis wants,a YES man who will post whatever BS Sam feeds him.

Experts may well bore you to tears,no doubt because you don't have the intellect to understand them talking technical,but people feeding BS to newbs and those that aren't technically inclined on cb forums do nothing to enhance our hobby,no wonder there is so many myths perptuating on the internet,you can say whatever you want in your reviews,but theres plenty of people out there that can see through your bias,i have nothing to gain or loose by being honest,neither does bob 85,can you say that Rob?

A top class (very expensive) hf set with tcxo with .5ppm stabilty is allowed to drift 13.5hz at 27mhz.Are you seriously telling everyone on this forum that a magnum 257 is better than that?

I don't even think AM power would try to convince people of that,but then again with Adam anything is possible.

Hmmm,Sure.

Oh; this is going to be fuuuun!

Having read many of your posts I can't help wondering why your reviewing radios at all,its pretty obvious you ain't the most technically gifted person to judge any radios performance characteristics,but then maybe thats exactly what Sam Lewis wants,a YES man who will post whatever BS Sam feeds him.

And of course - you are wrong. The reason Sam agreed to do reviews is that he wanted an unbiased end user to be honest with a review. Of course, you have your own bias and everybody else must be wrong. Reading your 'bash before you think' posts makes me believe that you are a minor league troll.

Experts may well bore you to tears,no doubt because you don't have the intellect to understand them talking technical,but people feeding BS to newbs and those that aren't technically inclined on cb forums do nothing to enhance our hobby,no wonder there is so many myths perptuating on the internet,you can say whatever you want in your reviews,but theres plenty of people out there that can see through your bias,i have nothing to gain or loose by being honest,neither does bob 85,can you say that Rob?

I taught auto tech for a season, and was asked to run the whole automatic transmission dept. Yes - I can get technical and learn quickly. My 'expertise' isn't with radios yet. But then again - I never claimed to be a radio expert. A fact that I've had to repeat ad nauseum. In which case your 'great intellect' failed to either read or comprehend each time.

A top class (very expensive) hf set with tcxo with .5ppm stabilty is allowed to drift 13.5hz at 27mhz.Are you seriously telling everyone on this forum that a magnum 257 is better than that?

Never compared it to HF radio as far as frequency stability goes. Again, your thinking and reasoning are skewed and screwed. Further evidence of your misguided rants. So sorry...

I don't even think AM power would try to convince people of that,but then again with Adam anything is possible.

Convince who of what?!? My point is that the so-called 'experts' - like yourself and others - have said things about that radio that I found out just weren't so. Of course - what can one expect from trolls?

There it is...;)

After review By the Admin`s, we are going to open this thread back up for technical discussion.
Lets keep on topic, this is a review of the radio.
No personal comments directed at other members will be tolerated.
Please note that Infraction points have already been given to some members who chose to get off topic.
Also, this thread is NOT to debate how reviews are to be done in the future, That is work in progress, and will be addressed by Moleculo when he has made a decision.
Lets keep it Civil guys.

Thank you

Jeff

After review By the Admin`s, we are going to open this thread back up for technical discussion.
Lets keep on topic, this is a review of the radio.
No personal comments directed at other members will be tolerated.
Please note that Infraction points have already been given to some members who chose to get off topic.
Also, this thread is NOT to debate how reviews are to be done in the future, That is work in progress, and will be addressed by Moleculo when he has made a decision.
Lets keep it Civil guys.

Thank you

Jeff
nothing to see here

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.