• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MAGNUM 257 HP Review

After review By the Admin`s, we are going to open this thread back up for technical discussion.
Lets keep on topic, this is a review of the radio.
No personal comments directed at other members will be tolerated.
Please note that Infraction points have already been given to some members who chose to get off topic.
Also, this thread is NOT to debate how reviews are to be done in the future, That is work in progress, and will be addressed by Moleculo when he has made a decision.
Lets keep it Civil guys.

Thank you

Jeff

ok. MY abridged & oversimplified review of the magnum 257, 1st gen of blue light mosfet radio, NOT the HP version. i ALMOST like it. it is a very usable EMERGENCY radio as a base or in a VERY RF QUIET MOBILE ENVIRONMENT. why? because it SUCKS UP NOISE like an award winning dyson vacuum cleaner. otherwise, its receive is more then satisfactory. its small package allows it to fit as an EXTRA radio in the mobile to get you on 10m during e skip season. its factory mic is far superior to most any replacement-unless you do a lot of tinkering. ergonomics? yea right. doing ANYTHING while actually driving-other then keying the mic-is nearly impossible. in fact, mine is NOT even mounted because i need to hold it to my face to read the markings on the switches so i know what to do. 5 digit readout for SSB? again, yea right. the way the tuner works, only going for 1 through 10 no matter where the span is actually set is VERY annoying when on say 28.480 & you can't quite get there from the clarifier, say several khz away. you have to change the span & reset the freq.....again, not fun in bumper to bumper traffic at 75mph. frequency stability.....for a cb.....pretty good. had an ss158 on the bench that would 'turn on' 2 khz low when the temp was below 50 degrees. below 10? forget it, try half way to the next channel. the 257 is FAR from that bad. no biggie to leave alone if the other guy is 'on' freq (relatively speaking), at worst, a tap of the clarifier is all that is needed. 25.165 & it won't go to 24.890????? what were you thing sam????? SSB audio? it IS loud. it IS clear. it IS pretty good. but, MANY cb's using mosfets have an imperfection in the audio. in fair qrm, it's hard to notice. a low to medium signal, in dead quiet air, received by a radio of 8719 quality receiver or better, and the imperfection can be noticeable. i've been told it is noticeable on a spectrum analyzer & even in moderate cases, on a 'scope. don't ask me to explain, cuz i can't, i just know i was told that it is 'not spectrally pure' and the original transistor version actually has a cleaner transmit.

dd18, & the NZ yeti com guys have this radio figured out!!!! if magnum were to do THAT to the 257, they WOULD have a winner in MY opinion. i think they covered EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE 257'S SHORTFALLS!!!!

overall opinion? would i buy one? yup. i have. probably a dozen of this particular version. would i buy the hp? probably not. why? i've used THIS radio with a dx500 AND a dx1200 with EXCELLENT audio reports. WHAT is EXCELLENT? again, it is relative. relative to HOW THE LISTENER FEELS HE IS HEARING IT. come on, how many cbers with the most horrendous, muffled, overmodulated, over-echoed, squealing, garbage audio have you heard compliment each other, yet YOU can only decipher 1 out of 9 words? the 257 with or without the TS SOUNDS good to the human ear, for the most part. 'spectrally pure'? yea right. away from locals, in high qrm during a wild band opening, nobody is going to know what you're doing. is that right? no, but.....

the 257 is a 'purpose' radio. that purpose could be ANYTHING. price, size, ability to be on 10 & 11, availability, 'catches the eye', WHATEVER. i AGREE that it is a PRETTY GOOD OPTION for a secondary 10m mobile radio. i also believe some (qrz) hams should get over themselves & explore the radio IF THEY SO DESIRE. if they have the bucks to put an ic7000 in ALL of their personal vehicles, more power to them. I CAN'T. in fact, based on the htx10's LEGAL STATUS, the 257 MIGHT be able to equal the radio shack version for fcc purposes.....hey, MAYBE IT DOES, just the ease of modification being the sticking point.

trying to 'stay on track' by biting my tongue, so for the purpose of 'keeping it civil', some should NOT bash it for what it is and others need to understand it is NOT the perfect 10m by any means.......

overall opinion? would i buy one? yup. i have. probably a dozen of this particular version.

Why do you have so many? Just curious.

I had one.

OK radio, lots of noise on RX.

"Rock solid", hardly. Like any rig with a "rock" without a TXCO, drift happens due to temp.

An OK 200$ rig. No more or less.

Why do you have so many? Just curious.

I had one.

OK radio, lots of noise on RX.

"Rock solid", hardly. Like any rig with a "rock" without a TXCO, drift happens due to temp.

An OK 200$ rig. No more or less.

EXACTLY. i don't OWN a dozen currently, but at one point had 1 in each of 3 vehicles, 1 in 2 differnet shops, a spare at the base just to tinker with, an extra for whatever mobile may need one, one for the boat, and maybe another 1 or 2 kicking around. i also acquired others because they were 'available'. i tested & even briefly used each. why? because it is an OK radio for what it is. quite possibly as good of a radio available in its category, and if you want to say it is the ONLY radio in its category, so be it. why would you pay $100 for an e bay/swap meet htx10 when you can get a brand spanking new 257 for $75 or $80 more WITH A 2 YEAR WARRANTY???? as i said though, i've bought them used & have had no issues. most i ever paid for brand new was $186. 1st brand new was only $165. we're talking blue mosfet here, not originals, of which i owned several new & preowned. they got me on 10 & 11 for a low price & 'worked'.
ROCK SOLID????? WHO said that??? NOT ME. i said FAR SUPERIOR TO THE SS158 in stability.

I SAID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT ROCK SOLID-show me where i wrote or even IMPLIED ROCK SOLID.

based on what i wrote, if you even think i am suggesting that it is better then a 5 out of 10, you NEED TO RE READ it. but then again if you see the words ROCK SOLID in my post, you need to visit an eye doctor.

'an ok $200 rig. no more or less'. well, NO. an OK $186 OR LESS rig. i WOULD NEVER PAY $200 for one. it is a 'purpose' radio ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR SOMEBODY WHO CAN AFFORD OR NEEDS BETTER. for that matter, a magnum mini is a 'purpose' radio as well. PROBABLY a 5 out of 10 as well, would i ever buy one? NEVER. doesn't serve MY purpose. but i can't give it a 1 out of 10, or say NOBODY should ever buy it, because it IS a bit more. if the 257 doesn't serve YOUR purpose, DON'T BUY ONE. you even ADMIT it is an OK rig. now YOU DID NOT SAY NOBODY SHOULD BUY ONE, but you are implying in that it is an OK rig, if it fits somebody's needs, then you would approve of their purchase. that is my point.

had my last several sentences been the original posters main thoughts, this whole mess would have never escalated to where it has. PURPOSE RIG. NOT IC7800 REPLACEMENT!

I think that temperature can be to blame for the solidness of any SSB radio. I used my 257 in CA where it is relatively stable and somewhat warm. But not really warm - sometimes a bit cool even. However, I stick to my guns when I say that I observed no appreciable SSB instability. That is true in my case - but in cooler climates it may be more unstable. I will concede that is true.

I owned a couple versions of these radios before they went with mosfets. Does anyone know if there were any major changes to design of the circuitry besides the PA section between the older and newer fet versions?

The older versions I had sounded pretty good on TX, but I always replaced the stock mic. I ran these in my Jeep and it let me get on 10m when I first got my General Ticket. I did have problems with the knobs falling off and the buttons breaking, though...on both of the versions I owned. I hope they fixed that.

Concerning the frequency stability of the rig - mine were better than some radios I've owned and worse than others. I did definitely notice some drift, especially when I was long winded. It wasn't terrible, though. It was way better than a lot of the Galaxy products I've used. However, it wasn't nearly as stable as the older Cobra 148's/Uniden Grants. If I recall, it wasn't even as stable as the Midland 79-290 I ran for a while. It certainly isn't close to any ham rig I've ever owned, nor would I expect it to be.

Several have mentioned the problems that they have had with these radios picking up every RFI noise possible in the receiver. I certainly experienced that with mine. I hope they have improved that problem since then. That was ultimately why I got rid of them - I couldn't take it anymore.

I still think they're decent sub-$200 radios, for what they are. If they ever hit the $200 price point, I would not buy it. The chassis size makes them convenient for a lot of applications. If they have addressed some of the issues I had in the newer models, that will only make them better.

I think to clarify the frequency stability argument regarding these radios is fairly easy -

The Magnum 257HP has greater frequency stability than the majority of current SSB Export/CB Radios being sold.

I'm sure at some measurable level there is some frequency drift, but for the majority of people using these radios is will not be at any noticable or troublesome level.

If you want to compare a $200 export radio vs. a $2000 amateur radio of course there are going to be differences. Most of these discussions and statements of drift or no-drift are relative to the radio models with which it is in competition.

Many radios such as the 959's, 88's, 6900's, 158edx's etc have drift which makes them very annoying to operate on SSB. 2950DX's and 257's are definitely radios with much less drift which makes them much more enjoyable to operate on SSB.

No one has ever claimed Magnum radios are perfect and I think people tend to forget that these 257's haven't changed for many years. Much of the technology can be improved at this point as other posts in this thread have referenced, but research and design takes time, money, and resources. As a business if you have a product that is selling well for many years it's difficult to rationalize spending large sums of money to completely scrap that design for something else, especially if the majority of users are fairly happy. But like all products radio models have life cycles and at a certain time Magnum 257's will go away and something new will come along. I think as demanding hobbyists we sometimes forget the market for CB's and exports is also much smaller than other technologies and that is why there is much less innvoation directed specifically to that industry.

When I contacted Sam Lewis to discuss these radios there was a mention that updated technology has been looked at for future models so I suspect that they are considering many of the changes people have mentioned in these threads.

Generally speaking the Magnum 257 is a great small SSB radio for the CB and export market radio crowd. The receive is very good, transmit is good, and in noisy electrical enviornments they tend to have noisy receive. :)

Last edited:
74IN, you quoted ME, then you had the 'rock solid' comment in there. just assumed.....

I owned a couple versions of these radios before they went with mosfets. Does anyone know if there were any major changes to design of the circuitry besides the PA section between the older and newer fet versions?

NO. and that is from the mouth of sam lewis himself. there has been ABSOLUTELY no design changes to ANY of the radios that went to mosfet finals. that in itself creates a problem. the PA section was NOT designed for mosfets, they were just substituted for standard bi polar transistors. while PERCEIVED LOUDNESS of the audio in AM on the mosfet radios SEEMS TO BE LOUDER then transistor radios, the SSB audio quality suffers. noticeably to some, less so to others. the original 45 watt transistor 257, no compressor, doing 25 watts sounded real good on SSB. the 60 watt mosfet 257 WITH compressor doing 35-40 watts sounds decent on SSB. surpassing or even just approaching 60 watts brings out the audio gremlins. i don't use FM, so i can't give any insight into that mode.

mole has it right imho.

i tend to agree,its not a perfect radio by any stretch of the imagination,but with its small size,reasonable performance it filled a niche in the market,especially suited to modern cars that lack dash space for mounting bigger/better radios.the downside of the small size would be insufficient heatsinking which would make it more prone to drift than some other radios as many of the frequency determining components are heat sensitive,add a txco and it might be a much better radio than it is now,but the noisy receive still needs work too sort it out,and mosfets just ain't as linear as bipolars are on ssb,no doubt because unlike the bi polars they replaced they weren't originally designed to be used as linear rf amplifiers at 27 mhz.

the other big problem is they are made in a country not known for producing top notch radios,as the cobra 200 gtl dx will testify too among many many others.

74IN, you quoted ME, then you had the 'rock solid' comment in there. just assumed.....

Never meant to imply it, I would be shocked to see you post such a thing.

Any updates on newest model

It's been awhile since any talk about latest improvements on 257HP. Any idea when updated models will have enhanced heatsink/fan for the RFX75?

How about multiple CTCSS tones, instead of just one (88.5)?

It's been awhile since any talk about latest improvements on 257HP. Any idea when updated models will have enhanced heatsink/fan

I placed a little fan on the rear and secured it with drywall anchors and wired it into the power lead. It keeps pretty cool.

Attachments

• IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1302.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1303.JPG
    IMG_1303.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.