• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

monkeymade or predator?

dxing440

Apr 10, 2011
Getting an antenna this weekend, which performs (is the better) antenna?
Ive never owned either and only running an Omegaforce s45hp and a dx500v ( for now) maybe a sweet16 later.
It will be mounted about 8-9" away from the cab, on the passenger side bed.

mag mount for a sweet 16?

440, i have never run either of the two antennas you mentioned, others will be along with that input but which ever you go with, you should hard mount it.

Reactions: 1 person
It will be mounted about 8-9" away from the cab, on the passenger side bed.
If that is where you want to mount a Predator or Monkey Made...Then I would agree with Rob...Your better off with a Wilson 5000 on the roof...

You'll never get a 10K or Monkey Made to tune very good where your talking about mounting....

Now if you can do something like this...Then I would say get a 12" or 17" shaft Predator 10K...Otherwise if you don't want to mount a 10K on the roof or a riser, stick with the Wilson Mag Mount and replace it about every 6 months when the coil rusts out....
http://www.worldwidedx.com/f79/inside-wilson-5000-coil-part-1-a-136547/

p2240002zz4.jpg

I now have a truck stop roadtech coil antenna in this location. The swrs are 1.3 with just the radio ,but turn on the dx500v and swrs go over 3! Some say use a MFJ meter and let it go, some say use the radio, and let it go. And others say tune it with amp on.
No matter where I mount the antenna how should swrs be checked?

You probably need to do a whole lot more grounding to your current mount before you should even be turning your amp on.

As everyone is stating here bed rails are known for having issues. You most likely will want to run grounding straps directly to the frame.

As stated a Wilson 5000 on the roof would still outperform an antenna on a bed rail in most cases.

If you buy a 16 pill you will need to have some serious grounding going on and your SWR better be as close to flat as possible with or without the amp on.

No matter where I mount the antenna how should swrs be checked?
I would tune the antenna just using the radio first if all you have is a SWR Meter...If you can get a hold of a MFJ antenna analyzer then you can use that to tune the antenna.

Either way, once you get the antenna tuned, when you turn on the Amp, the SWR reading should still stay low if everything's grounded properly and the antenna is mounted in the right spot..(provided the Amp itself is not "Out of whack")

Try moving your existing antenna to the roof, and see if it tunes better...

to answer your question id choose the predator 10k .ive got a monkeymade and it works
good .BUT its very heavy.2nd theres not to tuning them theres not much whip adjustment.i gree with what most others already posted and
wison 5 k or predator 10k solid mount on roof would be my choice for what your install

Reactions: 1 person
I used to run a single Coil Predator 10K with a 27 inch shaft on the REAR corner of my Pickup and it worked and tuned just fine, just make sure the coil is above the line of the Cab.

Jeff

Yep...On the REAR bed rail away from the cab they tune great...Even somewhere around the middle of the bed rail will work using a 27" lower shaft...

Still need to run ground straps off the bed rails to the frame tho.

Thx for everyones input! Ive heard that the transistors cause harmonics inside the case of a texas star, thats why the swr goes up when its on. Any truth to that? I will move the antenna around.
And how can i check the antenna output connector on the amp and radio to see if they are indeed 50hm. Ive heard some say the swr bridge in the amp may be off. Im just kinda learnin, so bear with me guys, but I AM LISTENING TO YOU ALL.

Do you have a ground strap between the amp and the chassis?
If not; then ya need to do that!

I have a #8 ground wire from the frame to the antenna bracket (2" x 4" x3/16")
I have a #8 ground wire from the amp under the rear seat, to the seat bracket bolt into the floorboard.

Radio >>>> Coax>>>> amp>>>>coax>>> SWR meter>>>> Coax>>> antenna.
First Question.

On the SWR Meter you have a Switch that says forward and REF ( reflected )
Or Set and SWR.
You put it on Forward or set, Key up the radio, turn the knob untill the needle lines up with the SET line on the meter , then flip the switch to ref or SWR and read it.
When you turn the Amp on you have to do this again.

Amp on
Put switch on forward or set, key the radio ( amp keys up to ) and turn the knob until until the needle lines up with the set mark on the meter, flip the switch and read it.
Is this how you are doing it?
If you are not re-setting the meter in the Forward Or Set position when checking it with the amp on it will give you a reading that is too high.
Let us know

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.