• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

dave, if you ever want to compare your gainmaster against my i10k in a field im up for it,
its been compared to the imax 827 and modified sigma4, the i10k edges out the 827 and whoops the imax at low mounting heights.

Gain Master VS 10K

dave, if you ever want to compare your gainmaster against my i10k in a field im up for it,
its been compared to the imax 827 and modified sigma4, the i10k edges out the 827 and whoops the imax at low mounting heights.

Where are you Bob??..........maybe would be better (and more cheaper) for you to buy a Gain Master and compare it.Trust me I realy did wat the Shaky to kick its Ass. But no chance. Please I would love to see the results of that one Mate.

I had an I-10K up where my IMAX has been and the difference is less than 1 S-unit at 80 miles. If the ABS-1600 outclassed the IMAX and the Sirio GM outclasses the ABS-1600 then it sounds like they will be very close with possibly the GM winning, and doing so without those pesky radials. :drool:

Video 4 results.......

Now I PMed my mate Ian about doing another video (as there was no video at my end of the QSO). I realy didn't want anyone thinking any foul play was involved. He posted a reply @ midnight ,he had a second video done when me and Caine (the 5/9+30 station) was carrying out our videos. He never even told us........So a conclusive THREE way video test is now on Youtube. I will link it. This antenna is a keeper for sure.YouTube - Sirio Gainmaster Test 2

Now I PMed my mate Ian about doing another video (as there was no video at my end of the QSO). I realy didn't want anyone thinking any foul play was involved. He posted a reply @ midnight ,he had a second video done when me and Caine (the 5/9+30 station) was carrying out our videos. He never even told us........So a conclusive THREE way video test is now on Youtube. I will link it. This antenna is a keeper for sure.YouTube - Sirio Gainmaster Test 2

SUPERB!@!

im in pontefract dave, i thought you were not too far from me,
i won't be buying one as im on with building a heavy duty sigma/vector, if i was looking for something smaller and prettier in white i would no doubt test the gainmaster against the imax which i agree is not really stiff enough for our weather.

Not a Mud Duck Antenna!!

SUPERB!@!

I honestly can't prove much more Scott. I found it well made ,not as good as the Shaky but good all the same, all I suggest on building it wrap the joints in self amalamating tape for weather protection and to add a bit of strenght on the joins.

Good Luck

im in pontefract dave, i thought you were not too far from me,
i won't be buying one as im on with building a heavy duty sigma/vector, if i was looking for something smaller and prettier in white i would no doubt test the gainmaster against the imax which i agree is not really stiff enough for our weather.

OK Mate, I have various top performing antennas for Ham Bands, my main been an Opti-beam. I have yagis ect for the CB band stored away, got a Mako Comet and a Jo Gunn in their boxes in the garage. But for my use on CB Bands the Shaky and now the Gain Master will do me just fine for UKFM and FM use on 10 Meters. Maybe one day we'll have that shootout in that field........but with snow forecast for the UK.....maybe Summer would be wiser .....73's Dave M0OGY/26CT110;)

Interesting videos,but in my opinion far from conclusive.

A 5-10 feet height advantage in favour of the gainmaster in my experience can give signal differences like witnessed on the video.

But my biggest concern would be the 50 feet (may have been 15 feet,had to keep volume low due to time of watching) spacing of the antennas under test, i've experienced massive signal differences (as much as 4 s points) when operating into northern ireland from high points around glasgow scotland via line of sight comms by only moving our vehicle a couple of feet, so by comparison 50 or even 15 feet is a massive terrain change between tx/rx stations that could bring hills,buildings,trees, multipath cancellation and god knows what other sources of attenuation into play.

I'd be much more satisfied if the improvements shown were from both antennas being mounted on the same mast in as short a timescale as possible with the exact same feedline,which in my opinion is the only fruitful method of comparing antennas.

A/B tests done with switches and antennas in different geographical locations and altitudes just ain't gonna cut the mustard to convince me i'm afraid, but i do have an open mind and would love nothing more than for the gainmaster to outperform everything that has come before it as it would be a massive leap for our hobby.

I must admit I like the design approach of the gainmaster, As you have probably realised i'm not easily convinced one antenna is better than another unless everything else is equal,which i feel in this case isn't the case.

This antenna should change conventional thoughts on fiberglass antennas. The Gain-Master replaced my Vector last week. Before the antenna arrived I didn't intend to install it on my roof. Some back yard testing of the bandwidth made me give it a try. I'm glad I did. It is working every bit as good as the Vector with much wider bandwidth and simple appearance. RFI is non existent.

I see signs that this antenna with it's virtually parallel 0 degree TOA is performing better then I expected in the distance. It does exactly what Sirio advertises. I think this will be the antenna I recommend to most people seeking a good vertical omni. The only possible drawback is the power rating. Do not exceed the advertised ratings. I intend to investigate the possibility of replacing the capacitor with a Semco metal cased mica and attempt to convince Sirio to do the same.

Reactions: Richard
Gonna Get My Climbing Gear Ready!

A 5-10 feet height advantage in favour of the gainmaster in my experience can give signal differences like witnessed on the video.

But my biggest concern would be the 50 feet (may have been 15 feet,had to keep volume low due to time of watching) spacing of the antennas under test, i've experienced massive signal differences (as much as 4 s points) when operating into northern ireland from high points around glasgow scotland via line of sight comms by only moving our vehicle a couple of feet, so by comparison 50 or even 15 feet is a massive terrain change between tx/rx stations that could bring hills,buildings,trees, multipath cancellation and god knows what other sources of attenuation into play.

I'd be much more satisfied if the improvements shown were from both antennas being mounted on the same mast in as short a timescale as possible with the exact same feedline,which in my opinion is the only fruitful method of comparing antennas.

A/B tests done with switches and antennas in different geographical locations and altitudes just ain't gonna cut the mustard to convince me i'm afraid, but i do have an open mind and would love nothing more than for the gainmaster to outperform everything that has come before it as it would be a massive leap for our hobby.

I must admit I like the design approach of the gainmaster, As you have probably realised i'm not easily convinced one antenna is better than another unless everything else is equal,which i feel in this case isn't the case.

I hear your points but I have already seen enough to be sufficiently convinced to order one.

*Edit* NOW ORDERED - AWAITING ARRIVAL *Edit*

Everyone seems to be seeing an unexpected & pleasantly surprising increase in performance over their... 'whatever' omni, so I have a good feeling about this one.

I have a 70' pine that I've been hesitant to climb to erect an antenna because I didn't want the IMAX with it's noise and lesser performance, but I also didn't want to hassle the Penetrator radials and all the cutting and finagling that would necessitate. Here's the answer, quite probably as good a performer as a Hy-gain Penetrator-500 but without radials and without the static of the Imax because of it's DC-ground shunt.

I would wish only for full 1500w power handling but I'll settle for 700-800w pep until I can upgrade that capacitor.

Hey Sirio, are you already working on a 1500w version?

...I bet you are! (y)

Last edited:
This antenna should change conventional thoughts on fiberglass antennas. The Gain-Master replaced my Vector last week. Before the antenna arrived I didn't intend to install it on my roof. Some back yard testing of the bandwidth made me give it a try. I'm glad I did. It is working every bit as good as the Vector with much wider bandwidth and simple appearance. RFI is non existent.

I see signs that this antenna with it's virtually parallel 0 degree TOA is performing better then I expected in the distance. It does exactly what Sirio advertises. I think this will be the antenna I recommend to most people seeking a good vertical omni. The only possible drawback is the power rating. Do not exceed the advertised ratings. I intend to investigate the possibility of replacing the capacitor with a Semco metal cased mica and attempt to convince Sirio to do the same.

You were posting while I was typing away, posted my last response to Jazzy, read your post, ...now one is awaiting shipping with my name on it.

I do get your point Jazzy.....but I'm convinced it's the better antenna.I guess now it's up to people to take the plunge and judge in their own location . Good look to everybody

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.