• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

Dxswe, how is the antenna performing locally and with DX and compared to what other antenna(s) you have up or have used?

How is the SWR match and if you have an analyzer what does it show at resonance?

How is the bandwidth?

How is the TVI?

How is the noise?

Robb said that the antenna looked shoddy with thin wall fiberglass. The fiberglass appears pretty sturdy to me in your previous pictures, particular in the image of the calipers measuring the FG thickness being 3mm. Your video also shows a pretty good wind and the antenna is not bending very much. Simon said it is fiddly and the antenna would not hold up well to installing and un-installing. What does fiddly mean, and what do you think he meant by the rest of his statement?

Dxswe, how is the antenna performing locally and with DX and compared to what other antenna(s) you have up or have used?

How is the SWR match and if you have an analyzer what does it show at resonance?

How is the bandwidth?

How is the TVI?

How is the noise?

Robb said that the antenna looked shoddy with thin wall fiberglass. The fiberglass appears pretty sturdy to me in your previous pictures, particular in the image of the calipers measuring the FG thickness being 3mm. Your video also shows a pretty good wind and the antenna is not bending very much. Simon said it is fiddly and the antenna would not hold up well to installing and un-installing. What does fiddly mean, and what do you think he meant by the rest of his statement?

The antenna seems to work well at the local driving .. I had an Antron 99 in the past and the antenna bothered my neighbors telephones.After I had switched to GM, so it was abandoned.
I tested with my local stations and have noticed that I go 1 ½ signal better with
GM compared with Antron 99 .. I think Simon believes that the antenna is fluttering in the wind, but where I live blows it often, but the antenna can handle it well .. No problem ..
I tested the SWR and found these values 27.995MHz, it was at 1.6.
And at 25 600 equally there too .. It does not take as much noise as I thought the reception .. I hope you can understand my bad english.:blush:.
73 from DXSWE

Your English is fine. Thank you for posting your results.

Hmmm, only 1.5 S-units over an A99. I was hoping for more.

I have typically & often noted 2 S-units gain when replacing an A99 with an Imax 2000.

More like 3 S-units when comparing to an all metal full .64 to an A99.

But radios vary, AGC circuits vary, I'm still interested in trying one unless others find it seriously doesn't live up to the Sirio claims.

Thanks Dxswe, I understand you just fine, a lot better than you would understand my attempt at your native language. Thanks

If you hear any reports of how the GM compares to the New Vector 4000, the 827, or the Imax, please give us a report.

Yes, if I remember correctly 007, isn't your name Scott?

Yep, and man was that ever a shot in the dark! - It's not like I ask every station from TX with terrific audio if they are Marconi.. I still can't figure out what prompted me to even imagine that could be you and ask, having just walked into the room and hearing your audio without yet hearing a call to go with it.

It sure was great to finally talk with you, my 1st time hearing someone from the forum!

Let's do it again and next time I hope to have the beam back up. You were 20 over 9 on the Icom!!

- Which antenna / radio were you using?

Scott, if I recall I was talking to someone in California and your voice popped up and quietened my radio. It sounded like a neighbor, except he doesn't call me Marconi. Did I ask you to stand by until I finished? If so, then I remember we talked a bit and you too had a very strong signal with big loud clear audio. Maybe you hear me using Charlie Delta Xray and Texas and that is what clued you in to ask the question. Some years ago it use to be common place to be able to talk to many guys on the WWRF and for sure when we contested.

I was probably working a TS-570D @ about 80 watts on my AstroPlane @ 45' feet to the tip. That is all I have up for now. That day the conditions were very good, and at different times I was receiving signals from all across the nation. I even had a station just pop-up and give me a call from Hawaii, which is really unusual for me. I have done a little Ireland, Italy, and Portugal recently, but it seems to be gone for now.

I'm sure we will hook up again soon even if you don't get that beam up. Whatever you were on took all the static and hiss out of my radio, so I don't really need anymore signal.

Hang loose,

Last edited:
Jeff, [no, 'Scott', you were right the first time.] if I recall I was talking to someone in California and your voice popped up and quietened my radio. It sounded like a neighbor, except he doesn't call me Marconi...

...Whatever you were on took all the static and hiss out of my radio, so I don't really need anymore signal.

Hang loose,

Geesh, you really know how to inflate a guys ego, now don't you!!

Yes, totally cool to have someone 'materialize'!
(y)

Sorry Scott, sometimes I feel just as you describe and my memory ain't worth a hoot either.

Sorry Scott, sometimes I feel just as you describe and my memory ain't worth a hoot either.

Hey, no problem, I can happily make exceptions for centenarians
geezer.gif

J/K!!
poke.gif

You're not the only one!! For a second or two I thought you were right...
icon12.gif

I really wish I had a very close up photo of the matching pigtail thing in the center of this antenna, and some explanation of what it is and how it works. I intend to build one from scratch for my own transmitting pleasure. The only part that remains unclear to me is the construction of that piece. Otherwise it seems very, very basic materially.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.