• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

On a Car or Truck...are there some Antennas that really make a difference?

Update: I got my 95T2 connected to my battery and it rocks. I bought a Sirio 5000 and yes it fit on the Wilson 1000 mag mount but...the Sirio 5000 is way to heavy for the 1000 mag mount. Sirio makes a 6" mag mount that I might buy...

I've run mine for the last 2+ years w/o a problem of any kind.

Why isn't yours working?

The antenna seems to be to heavy for the 1000 mag mount. My concern is going down the road and if I get into a heavy wind the 5000 will fall over onto the roof. When I pull/push the Wilson 1000 it takes a lot of force to move the mag mount but the Sirio 5000 takes much less effort to pull/push the mag mount off the roof. Is it possible the length of the 5000 is higher than the 1000 giving the 5000 more mass?

Maybe I am overly concened...

The antenna seems to be to heavy for the 1000 mag mount. My concern is going down the road and if I get into a heavy wind the 5000 will fall over onto the roof. When I pull/push the Wilson 1000 it takes a lot of force to move the mag mount but the Sirio 5000 takes much less effort to pull/push the mag mount off the roof. Is it possible the length of the 5000 is higher than the 1000 giving the 5000 more mass?

Maybe I am overly concened...

i was running a single mag mount from hro for my wilson 5000. it fell over a few times mainly from trees. so i drilled a hole in my new ride. do it. u wont regret it just do it right the first time :) the sirio is much greater taller then a wilson 1000 or a 5000. u need a tri mag mount or i guess a quad mag mount "over kill". 73s:)

yes i drive like a caifornian mad man from hell

yes i drive like a caifornian mad man from hell

does that mean you represent/speak for, all the fucking douche bag- cant drive for shit- CALIFORNIA LICENSE PLATE drivers here in Salt Lake City ?
Cause there are a few of ya here unfortunately.
[(keep your panties on! if you Cali drivers arent here in Utah, then nevermind... cause I aint talking to you)]

If there is one thing utah drivers can do, is to drive in absolute bumper to bumper gridlock @ 80 + mph in between two mountain ranges, daily, dealing with 8 plus kids in the back of your Mormon Assault Vehicle, and then have the balls to complain why there is more than one wreck on I-15 during rush hour each morning or afternoon !!

I like the 10k on my little nissan. Very lite and well made. Works better than my wilson 1000 in my opinion.

70cst, in your paticular situation the Wilson 1000-5000 mag mount should work just about as good as it gets.

Many of the other installs mentioned are just as good, but why spend the money and go to the trouble to install?

Thanks guys...Its a compay car so drilling a hole is out. When the Sirio was screwed on the 1000 mag mount...to me it just didn't seem that strong. I could take my hand and easily pull the mag mount off the roof. When the 1000 on the mount... it seemed to hold much better...maybe this is a "me" issue more than a mount issue?

car in truck antennas

Antennas are like a woman if she turns you on, she the right one for YOU! At this time in my life a Wilson 5000 hard mounted on the roof of my RAV-4 works good, but is it the best NO, but it does the job well for my needs. SS antennas work well for AM use and copper wire antennas like a Fire Stick work good on SSB. There are tricks one can do to get extra distance and range by placement of the antenna and the antenna used that help sometimes. I myself want an antenna that can go into the garage without taking the antenna off, will take power with out having a problems and covers more than 40 channels with out the SWR climming fast...............Oldtimer:eek:

Antennas are like a woman if she turns you on, she the right one for YOU! At this time in my life a Wilson 5000 hard mounted on the roof of my RAV-4 works good, but is it the best NO, but it does the job well for my needs. SS antennas work well for AM use and copper wire antennas like a Fire Stick work good on SSB. There are tricks one can do to get extra distance and range by placement of the antenna and the antenna used that help sometimes. I myself want an antenna that can go into the garage without taking the antenna off, will take power with out having a problems and covers more than 40 channels with out the SWR climming fast...............Oldtimer:eek:

We are on the same page...
I have a Wilson 1000 and I have a Sirio 5000 that I have yet to install but once I decide on the Mag. mount...hook up it will be.

Then a DSP external speaker...

So my set up will be a Bot-A-Sized Galaxy 95T2, Sirio 5000, and DSP speaker. Life is good ... (y)

The 'thing' about that rather 'whippy' 102 inch whip in that viddy, is that it is a bit too whippy. SWR will change drastically if you drive down the interstate at speed. Might be a problem.

The Sirio 5000 with a 6 1/2 ft whip is much thicker at the base of the whip than it is near the top. Doesn't move much at all - one of the other nice features that it has - besides working beyond expectations.

A 102 inch whip will beat its performance - yes. But with a whip that is as wambly as the one in the viddy, you would be better off either parking when you talk - or get a regular gauge 102 inch whip so that it doesn't move around as much at freeway speed.

Just saying . . .

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.