• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack TRC 485

Years ago I had one, two different techs said the PLL has to be swapped out to get channels. Unless something new has been discovered about these it would still be that way. Same goes for the 10 meter version model when trying to get 11m.

Hey Rod, where you at in the UP? Each summer we go to St Ignace and Mackinac Island. Great country up there.

Right in the central UP.... Small town of Ishpeming and we do have some famous sons.... Kelly Johnson of airplane fame and Glenn Seaborg part of the Manhattan project.... and these goof offs! :blink:

"Rusty Chevrolet" by Da Yoopers - YouTube

Ya! You betcha hey?

73 mechanic

TRC485

Looking forward to receiving one I found on C-list for $20.00.

I would prefer only the "middle" 120 channels rather than the whole 400, anyone know if I can do that by not lifting all the pins, for example?

Or can I switch in & out reference xtals?

Thanks, Geoff S.

Looking forward to receiving one I found on C-list for $20.00.

I would prefer only the "middle" 120 channels rather than the whole 400, anyone know if I can do that by not lifting all the pins, for example?

Or can I switch in & out reference xtals?

Thanks, Geoff S.

The mod only does the 400 channels, there is an indicator right behind the frequency display.... a through j that is 40 channels times 10 bands = 400 channels. g to j would be the HAM 10 meter band. You should open the clarifier for better coverage. The chassis is narrow so you will want to tune the rig for the CB band, then the 10 meter band will be faded.

73 mechanic

I just purchased on of these little gems. It was partially modified. So I did the proper frequency and clarifier mod and it now works great. Audio is a little flat but the size of the audio transformer might have something to do with that. I set the vco so it covers 26.800 to 28.400 ish. Wattage drops off at the edges, but for 40 bucks what the heck!
If anyone has a fix so the vco will lock across the entire 5 Mhz, let us know
Thanks

Larry

Yes, it can get to 27.555. I have modded several of these radios in the past. 27.555 is on ch. 12 on F band if memory serves me right. The clarifier can be modded, but can only slide a couple khz either way. Neat little radios tho.

~Cheers~

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
Yep, that info is correct. However, the person doing the mod has to be extremely careful lifting the pins, very small, fragile pins. The radio must not be plugged in or powered on, and the soldering iron used should only be 10-15 watts.

~Cheers~

Reactions: Retro CB Guy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.