• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Solar Cycle 24 is dead to me ... how'd you do?

Cycle 24 - Your DX results

• Total voters
I'm not familiar with the way skip works.
I'm in nj and I don't know if Italy makes it to the west coast, garrenttyes Geancarlo's signal will pass through nj on it's way west.
Giancarlo was my first and only European contact on AM.

From October to March is a good time, the end of October the bands are singing. You need to do it ideally when both of you are in daylight.

This is an excellent site for working out whether you stand a chance on a particular day and it'll give you a percentage chance based on time of day.

http://www.voacap.com/prediction.html

Propogation is as important to learn about as antennas when it comes to working DX.

Reactions: Klondike Mike
...This is an excellent site for working out whether you stand a chance on a particular day and it'll give you a percentage chance based on time of day. http://www.voacap.com/prediction.html
I prefer this NASA site over the VOACAP site; http://iono.jpl.nasa.gov/latest_rti_global.html

latest_rti.gif

Reactions: space cowboy
I prefer this NASA site over the VOACAP site; http://iono.jpl.nasa.gov/latest_rti_global.html

The difference between that and the VOACAP one is the VOACAP one allows you to specify the type of antenna, power output and mode and gives you a percentage chance for a full 24hr period which the NASA site does none of. The NASA site requires a knowledge of how solar characteristics affect propogation whereas the VOACAP requires none.

:eek:,.... I guess we now have "appliance operator" propagation prediction sites too.

Not everyone wants to learn about it, not everyone can learn about it and its good for demonstrating differences because you can plug your own numbers for SFI, A and K into it as well as time and date.

The difference between that and the VOACAP one is the VOACAP one allows you to specify the type of antenna, power output and mode and gives you a percentage chance for a full 24hr period which the NASA site does none of. The NASA site requires a knowledge of how solar characteristics affect propogation whereas the VOACAP requires none.
Not to dis' the VOACAP tool, but as a 11m OP the NASA view is "appliance" as it gets. No need to fiddle with all the knobs, bells and whistles to get effective results that work for your location and band of choice. No one, not based in my location can tell me what works best in my area. The NASA view provided me with the answer I was looking for. If the two OP's were not highlighted in the cloud, then contact was most likely not going to happen.

I appreciate those that have shared what tools have worked for them. Find out what gets the results you are looking for and get on with the QSO.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
009.png I had a very good cycle 24. Many many contacts in the US. Talked to a lot of forum members (Robb, Audioshockwave, Marconi, DxMan, 48 Alaska, Mr Clean, to name a few). Lots of European stations, Australia, and even South Africa one time. Old Realistic TRC457 pushing 100W into a homemade 2-element quad. I've been off the air for over a year (too much work during the day, no dx at night). But maybe I can get a chance to crank up the old 457 one of these weekends. Here's a pic of my US contacts in 2012.

Klondike, is the map saying that there is 40% chance within the lighter (40% color) area of making a contact just within the lighter colored zone?

Klondike, is the map saying that there is 40% chance within the lighter (40% color) area of making a contact just within the lighter colored zone?
Can't say I payed much attention to the numbers. I think it may just be a relative scale. If you are in the red zone, you are going to be a busy OP. If you are in a dark area, don't bother turning on your radio. Of course, this for bands that are greatly impacted by ionospheric weather conditions which 10/11m are.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.